Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

East Coast Departures
Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l

Old September 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pennsylvania Hotel, NYC

Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me that the Pennsylvania Hotel is not as bad as the reviews on here and Trip Advisor have indicated? I'm part of a group and that is the hotel we are staying at for 3 nights before the cruise on the Victory. The reviews do not make me feel good at all. I know the location is good but that seems to be the only good thing reported about this hotel. Thanks

Carnival Breeze Med Tour 2012
RCI NOS Med Cruise Sep 2010
NCL Pearl Alaska Aug 2010
NCL Pearl Alaska May 25 2008
Carnival Splendor 12 Day Baltics Aug 18 2008
Carnival Victory Sep 2007 (Canada/New England)
NCL Pearl to Alaska Aug 5 2007
Carnival Spirit Alaska Aug 2005
Disney Magic 2002

bb2842@att.net

Old September 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM
10,000+ Club

I've never stayed there, but I've been inside (the public spaces) and I would pass......seems all it has going for it is location............

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt

Old September 7th, 2007, 07:16 PM
10,000+ Club

A true dump. The Howard Johnson's diagonally across the street is better and it is pretty bad. I stayed there part of one night a couple years ago and bailed out about 11PM to the HoJo's. The NOISE was unbelievable. TV only had three channels working, so couldn't even drown out the noise with anything pleasant. Even the pay phone didn't work when I tried to call HoJo's. I left my cell charger in NJ.

The amount of people in the lobby (that are not hotel guests) will give you the creeps. I have been in th Penn numerous times as one of our customers has offices in the block. Seems like everyone on 34th St. finds their way to the lobby.

Since it is a group, you may just have to make the best of it. Was this a TA booking????

Old September 7th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

It is a DUMP. Stay elsewhere.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Old September 7th, 2007, 10:45 PM
5,000+ Club

I've only walked by this hotel, never stepped inside.

After seeing the photos on Trip Advisor, I'm glad I stayed on the sidewalk. Horrid!

I would suggest to your group that you cancel and rebook. It seems the majority of Manhattan hotels allow you to cancel up to 24 hours before check in.

If the group didn't want to change hotels, I'd surely back out of the group and go my separate way. Good luck.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:51 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatam View Post
The amount of people in the lobby (that are not hotel guests) will give you the creeps. I have been in th Penn numerous times as one of our customers has offices in the block. Seems like everyone on 34th St. finds their way to the lobby.
I had my phone card number lifted by one of the "spotters" in the lobby, back before I had a cell phone. Ironically, I went there to make a call because I was worried about the "spotters" in Penn Station! I do understand that a number of rooms have been renovated, though I'm not sure whether it's a majority. My office has hosted meetings in some of the meeting rooms without a problem.

Kathy

Carnival Victory, 6/28/04; Carnival Conquest, 7/3/05; Carnival Legend, 6/29/06; Carnival Victory, 8/31/06; Carnival Liberty, 2/17/07; Carnival Victory, 8/11/07; Carnival Valor, 2/17/08; Carnival Victory, 8/18/08; Carnival Glory, 2/14/09; Carnival Miracle, 7/19/09; Carnival Conquest, 2/14/10; Carnival Pride, 7/4/10; Carnival Glory, 9/2/10; Carnival Glory, 7/2/11; Carnival Fantasy, 8/13/11; Carnival Pride, 7/1/12; Carnival Glory, 8/6/12; Carnival Legend, 7/3/13; Carnival Miracle, 7/15/14; Carnival Glory, 8/2/14; Carnival Breeze, 7/4/15.

Old September 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes it is a dump

However, you get what you pay for, and it usually is the best deal in town. i have stayed there twice, and both times I was enjoying the sights and activities in NYC, and only cared that I had a bed to lay my head down on. It served its purpose. There is a very good Irish bar out the side door by the "gift shop", try it out! Excellent food!

Old September 8th, 2007, 10:42 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticaz24 View Post
Yes it is a dump. i have stayed there twice, and both times I was enjoying the sights and activities in NYC, and only cared that I had a bed to lay my head down......

Ooooh, but that's exactly it for me! I would never want to lay my head down.

Old September 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

I stayed there once and was also very concerned about the reviews. They messed up my reservation (I was there for a convention and they had my reservation under a different name. Once they got it straightened out it was fine). The room was a little small but clean, safe, and very convenient. I would do it again.
August 2009 Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean
July 2011 Mediteranean Norweigan Epic
October 2011 Canada New England Norwegian Jewel
January 2013 Holland America Westerdam Southern Caribbean

Old September 8th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb2842 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me that the Pennsylvania Hotel is not as bad as the reviews on here and Trip Advisor have indicated? I'm part of a group and that is the hotel we are staying at for 3 nights before the cruise on the Victory. The reviews do not make me feel good at all. I know the location is good but that seems to be the only good thing reported about this hotel. Thanks
Well, it is historic. This is where Glenn Miller played before WW II in New York; you've heard of his great swing number Pennsylvania 6-5000? That was the hotel's phone number, and it still is according to their web site.

Doc

I cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake!

Last edited by DocF; September 8th, 2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: fact check

Old September 9th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatam View Post
A true dump. The Howard Johnson's diagonally across the street is better and it is pretty bad. I stayed there part of one night a couple years ago and bailed out about 11PM to the HoJo's. The NOISE was unbelievable. TV only had three channels working, so couldn't even drown out the noise with anything pleasant. Even the pay phone didn't work when I tried to call HoJo's. I left my cell charger in NJ.

Since it is a group, you may just have to make the best of it. Was this a TA booking????
Worse than HoJo's...OUCH!!! I'd find somewhere else to stay and try to get credit from TA (I know it's a hard thing).

Good luck!

Old September 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocF View Post
Well, it is historic.
Historic, and soon to be history. The current owner (Vornado Realty Trust) plans to demolish it and build an office tower as part of the redevelopment of the Penn Station/Madison Square Garden complex.

1952: P&O Florida: Miami-Havana

SeaTrek 93: Miami, Ocho Rios Jamaica, Grand Cayman

Trans-Atlantic: Lisbon, Cadiz, Casablanca, Funchal, Ft. Lauderdale

Old September 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thumbs down

My daughter had friends who were there a few weeks ago..we live 15 minutes out of mid-town manhattan, I went and picked them up and had them stay at our house. You really don't want to stay there. Sorry...

PLATINUM NCL
Some of our more memorable cruises
NCL Breakaway 1019/2014 Haven Heaven
NCL GEM 4/4/14 Garden Villa
NCL Breakaway 3/2/14 Haven Aft
NCL GEM 1/11/14 Haven DOS 9 day
NCL GEM 11/14/13 Haven 9 day
NCL GEM 5/18/13 Haven Heaven
NCL GEM 3/04/13 Haven again
NCL Gem 1/09/13 still loving the Haven
NCL Gem 6/2/12 love our Haven Suite
NCL GEM 1/12 Haven for Life
NCL Jewel 3/6/11 still love the courtyard
NCL Jewel 1/2/11 best cruise ever Courtyard Villa!
NCL Gem 1/2/10 Courtyard Villa Life
Carnival Miracle GS 5/10
HAL Westerdam SA 2/10
HAL Eurodam SA 11/08
Carnival Liberty GS 1/08
Disney Magic Family Suite 1/07
Carnival Miracle GS 11/05
Disney Magic Family Suite 1/05
RCCL NOS Suite 1/06
RCCL VOS Suite 1/04
Carnival Fantasy Os 12/03
Disney Magic 12/01