Cruise Insurance with Pre-existing medical condition

reedy8

Hello,

I originally asked this question on the Australian and New Zealand thread, but I know other OZ cruisers look at other threads on cruise critic, so I thought I might try here too. I've added in a few bits.

This question is predominately for Australian Cruisers (thought the destination is unimportant) as the cruise I wanted to do was just a 3 day to no-where cruise off Perth in December, it goes out into the Indian Ocean, does a little loop then comes back to Perth.

I have a pre-exisiting medical condition no-one (I've tried about 15 insurers) except 1 insurance company would cover me and that company wanted on their normal policy $569.31 or gold policy $615.26 for a 2 day 3 night cruise that was only costing me $559 for a single cabin. The cruise line CMV stipulates cover for pre-existing.

My question is, has anybody with similar issues ever come across a travel insurance company that will cover for just the period of the cruise & perhaps one day after (in case of delays). My illness is not something that would have a sudden onset.

That way, the insurer would not be liable if between now and the cruise my illness got worse and I couldn't go, and I would be OK with that, its only $559 after all. I would rather be at home anyway if I was unwell.

My other thought is, has anyone tried an actual insurance broker for this?

Thanks

Hello,

I originally asked this question on the Australian and New Zealand thread, but I know other OZ cruisers look at other threads on cruise critic, so I thought I might try here too. I've added in a few bits.

This question is predominately for Australian Cruisers (thought the destination is unimportant) as the cruise I wanted to do was just a 3 day to no-where cruise off Perth in December, it goes out into the Indian Ocean, does a little loop then comes back to Perth.

I have a pre-exisiting medical condition no-one (I've tried about 15 insurers) except 1 insurance company would cover me and that company wanted on their normal policy $569.31 or gold policy $615.26 for a 2 day 3 night cruise that was only costing me $559 for a single cabin. The cruise line CMV stipulates cover for pre-existing.

My question is, has anybody with similar issues ever come across a travel insurance company that will cover for just the period of the cruise & perhaps one day after (in case of delays). My illness is not something that would have a sudden onset.

That way, the insurer would not be liable if between now and the cruise my illness got worse and I couldn't go, and I would be OK with that, its only $559 after all. I would rather be at home anyway if I was unwell.

My other thought is, has anyone tried an actual insurance broker for this?

Thanks

Post this on the Travel Insurance section of CruiseCritic, and I'd suggest putting your nationality in the subject header to get the attention of those most likely to have some suggestions for you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Good luck!

OP - don't know how things work "down under" but, in the US, "pre/existing condition" refers to some new or exacerbated old issue that arises within a "look back" period of so many months prior to your first putting a deposit on the cruise. So, unless something has changed during the look back (medication, surgery, relapse, etc) regarding a long term illness or condition, that health issue is not considered to be a "preexisting condition."

In any case, most insurers will waive exclusions of pre-existing conditions if the policy is purchased within a set number of days (e.g., 2-3 weeks) beyond first deposit.

Post this on the Travel Insurance section of CruiseCritic, and I'd suggest putting your nationality in the subject header to get the attention of those most likely to have some suggestions for you:

Good luck!

I looked for a thread on travel insurance but couldn't find it, I'll post it on there.

Thank you for your help.

Good luck!

I looked for a thread on travel insurance but couldn't find it, I'll post it on there.

Thank you for your help.

Sorry for any confusion... but...

... I posted the LINK to the CC subforum in my post for you.

Please see RED above.