Oceana and mobility question

steve48

Hi

I am planning to take my parents (both in their 80's) on the Norwegian Cruise on the Oceana this June. My father has walking dificulties since his stroke and can only walk with the aid of a walking frame. he also uses a wheelchair for long distances (as it would take much to long with the frane!). I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the standard inside cabins on this ship would be suitable for someone with a walking frame? Could he get into the bathroom for example? What if it gets rough on the crossing as he is very unstable? We did look at one of the wheelchair cabins but there are none left at a reasonable price - hence the idea of a standard cabin. Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, I would think a standard inside cabin could be a bit of a challenge with a frame, especially access to the bathroom and shower.

However, I would suggest trying for an inside disabled cabin. A friend of ours some years ago had an inside on Lido deck, L338, and this was really nice.

The cabin was L - shaped with loads of drawers but the toilet floor was flush with the cabin floor as was the walk in shower. The L deck cabins I know arent in an ideal position to get to the rear of the ship but they have easy access to the pools atrium and theatre but moreso the Buffet restaurant. Its also very quiet up there.

Have a look through the ships deck plans and see where the disabled cabins are. You may find one in a better location depending where your cabin is located.

Jimmy

The biggest problem might be that the bathroom has a step with (I think) a slight lip on it, and is too small to enter with a frame. Even if he could enter the bathroom without the frame, I should imagine stepping out and down would be a challenge.

I agree. I spent 24 nights in an Oceana inside cabin last December. While the cabin itself is fine, there is a step up into the bathroom which I feel would be a challenge for anyone with mobility issues.

234%2520My%2520cabin.jpg

Archived