Santorini - time to top of cable car with one ship in port

Cassicruiser

Hi there - I have read stories of very long lines for tenders and the cable car in Santorini, but on our upcoming cruise in April we are luckily the only ship there that day, which I've verified on a few port calendars. We will be on NCL Spirit with 2000 passengers. Is anyone able to tell me what we can expect in terms of how long we might have to wait for a tender and cable car?

Just working out timing for our private tour, and whether it will still take awhile, or if it will be relatively quick if we try and get one of the first tenders (taking into account ship tours using the priority tenders). Not too worried about the trip back down the cable car with one ship in port, as if it's busy we are happy to walk down. Thanks

If you get off the ship early it should not be a problem. We walked straight onto the cable car when we were there last time.

Coming back may be more of a problem, but if you are the only ship that would make it easier. We have stood in line for over an hour each time we've been to Santorin. Just allow enough time in case there are queues.

As for being happy to walk down, the path is treacherous due to large amounts of excretia from the poor old donkeys. It's really smelly too - smelly enough to hit you the moment the tender lands. Be very careful if you chose this method of getting down the cliff and be prepared to wear shoes which you don't mind getting pretty grubby.

Having said that, Santorini is stunningly beautiful and a wonderful place to visit. Hope you have a great time.

You'll almost-certainly not have to worry about ship's excursion passengers taking priority for tenders - local tenders are used, and whereas independents are tendered to the jetty below Fira those on ship's tours are tendered separately to a little harbour further down the coast where to road comes down to the sea.

I don't usually disagree with Ellie, but I rate the walk down the zig-zag path as pretty easy. Very few donkeys around late in the day, and the "reminders" left by the morning's donkeys will have turned to dry dust by then - tho the wind can occasionally whip up an unpleasant mini dust-storm. Some stones are slippery (cos they're very shiny and smooth, not cos of donkey-doings) so you do have to watch your step and best to hold onto the wall - or a partner who's soft to fall on :D.

Takes under 30 minutes. So if you want to maximise your time on the island, cut your return to the top cablecar station to 30 to 60 minutes before last-tender time and if you're unlucky with the cablecar line carry on past it & down the zig-zag path.

BTW, apologies if I'm teaching grannie to suck eggs, but "last tender time" is the latest time you have to be at the jetty, not the latest time you have to be back on the ship. And if there's a line for the tenders after "last tender time" they'll continue until they've mopped-up the line.

JB :)

Thank you both - that's good to know that the tenders aren't too much of a problem with the ship tours going to a different dock. Hopefully things will run smoothly for us so that we can maximise our time on the island.

I'm hoping that at the end of April the weather won't be a scorcher so I am happy to do the walk down. Got it - will wear non slip closed shoes (sneakers with a thick sole I guess) and after reading your comments I am semi-seriously thinking we should take those paper face masks that dentists wear for the walk down. :p Great tip to check out the cable car line first and if it's short we'll go down that way with the donkey path as plan B.

There was no line in the morning when we rode the cable car up. However, the line was extremely long at the time of returning. So we simply walked down.

If there is only one ship in the harbor, there will be very little wait for the cable car (up) since the pace of the tenders actually keeps the cable car lines within reason. The bigger problem (for many cruisers) is how long you would have to wait to get a tender. The major issue with the cable car happens in the afternoon, when everyone wants to come down at the same time.

Hank

Thank you all for your replies - so great to have the help we need on this forum!

It sounds like it should be reasonably quick to go up the cable car, and we will try to be on one of the earliest tenders. Coming down I'm not too worried - I kind of want to walk down, just for the experience, but I know if the cable car line to go down isn't long we'll make it easier on ourselves and hop on. :p

• 2 weeks later...

So.... my husband is "height challenged" and really afraid of a shear drop. Is the path down zig zagged or are you on the edge? Can he sit on the floor of the cable car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So.... my husband is "height challenged" and really afraid of a shear drop. Is the path down zig zagged or are you on the edge? Can he sit on the floor of the cable car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about whether he can sit on the floor of the cable car (if not maybe just keep his eyes closed all the way up and maybe that would have the same effect? I have seen pictures of the path and it's definitely zig zag and not a sheer drop at all. Google Santorini donkey path and you'll see it.

We'll be in Santorini May 1 on the Oceania Riviera. How are the tenders managed on Oceania? Any suggestions as to how best to get to Oia? I hear that the ferries that used to travel between Fira and Oia have been discontinued, and the buses are likely not running that day because it's "May Day Holiday." We would like to do the hike between Oia and Fira and hopefully end up in Fira so we're close to the ship at the end of the hike. Don't think we would like to walk both ways.

• 2 months later...

we will be on the riviera aug 31....and i bet it will be HOT! not sure about walking down in donkey poop!;p

cable car sounds very interesting, i will check to see how m any ships are there with us.