Fjords July 22 itinerary change

Pilgrim70

I have never seen an ugly fjord in Norway, and think you are in for a special experience. Google "Olden Fjord"; it looks beautiful. I have been on the Geiranger fjord a number of times, but it has become crowded, with the Hurtigruten and other large cruise ships using it as their fjord destination daily during the summer season. I think you are a winner!

Edited by janetcbl

Hi Pilgrim70,

We have just received the notification too.

We have been to both ports before. Both are tiny villages at the end of a stunning fjord. I think Geiranger has the edge but they are both pretty good. For us the main bit will be cruising the fjord as we leave.

We have been in Geiranger with two other ships and in Olden with one other. I can see why they would want to limit the number of ships in at a time. However, it is a shame that wasn't sorted out before the itinerary was published.

Our last cruise to Norway saw Flam being dropped for Olden in the same manner. Ie month's before the cruise but after we had booked. If they drop Flam again I will be very upset.

Gerainger is beautiful, Olden merely pretty. Gerainger or Flam would be a must have for me, Olden is an okay filler of a stop. The whole place seems to be run by one family, from the post office to the noddy train and the small shopping centre selling expensive Norwegian knitwear and fridge magnets. We were told that even the two guys standing at the quay offering helicopter flights over the glacier were the sons.

There's plenty of directions to walk in Olden but even after taking a tour on the little train we were back on the ship before lunchtime. As Janet says, there are no ugly fjords but Olden certainly isn't a wow sort of place. I'd recommend a ship's tour or a pre-booked private excursion. IIRC Gerainger was one of the options by helicopter but it's an expensive way to do it.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the cruse nonetheless, Norway is terrific.

Edited by Chunky2219

We have not been to Olden, but Geiranger is indeed beautiful. It is one of our favorite stops in our admittedly brief cruising history.

I see both Queen Elizabeth and Costa Favolosa were scheduled to be in Geiranger on July 25, 2016. That probably figured in the decision to change the itinerary.

It looks like your original itinerary has also been changed to call at Flam on July 25 instead July 26. That looks like a good move since the original schedule was for Queen Elizabeth, Pullmantur Monarch, and Seabourn Quest to all be in Flam on July 26. One other source I found also shows Phoenix Albatros scheduled to be in Flam on July 26.

So, it looks like one positive outcome of the revised itinerary is that you should now have Flam to yourself.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

Additions/corrections to my previous post ...

Pullmantur Empress is another ship scheduled to be in Geiranger on July 25. And she is the Pullmantur ship scheduled to be in Flam on July 26 as well (not the Monarch). Also, Viking Star is another ship scheduled to be in Flam on July 26.

So it appears that QE's original itinerary would have been trying to compete with two other ships in Geiranger on July 25 and perhaps as many as four other ships in Flam on July 26. With the revised itinerary, you should have no competition in Flam on July 25.

However, P&O Britannia is also scheduled to be in Olden on July 26. Britannia is a huge ship, so that's not quite as ideal a situation for the newly scheduled call at Olden on July 26 as it is for the rescheduled call at Flam on July 25.

At any rate, enjoy your cruise. I think you will have a great time.

Regards,

John.

We had the same back in 2013.

Don't be too disappointed. Olden is also stunning in it's own way. Plus, as a consolation, the Commodore assisted by the local pilot took us down Hjourundfjord . It has no port or anchorage, so we had a few hours with the mighty Queen Mary 2 gently rotating while stationary. It was breath taking.

We were lucky on our QE cruise in 2013. Originally we were supposed to call at Olden, but several weeks before the voyage the itinerary showed a change to Flam. That thrilled me because I always wanted to ride the stunning Flamsbana.

On our day in Flam, there were two other ships at anchor. There was also a large tour group staying in Flam. They had arrived and were departing by train. Needless to say the Flamsbana trains were very busy that day. Many people suggest that you should buy the tickets from the railway station (very close to the dock) and not pay the inflated cruise line prices. We didn't want to take a chance so we gladly paid Cunard in advance. Many of those on the ship, other than those who made a mad dash to the station as soon as the gangway was affixed, were unable to book the train.

I think the Cunard Flamsbana excursion only takes you up as far as the hotel. If you get the train yourself, you can go right to the station at the top and have a walk around to see views such as this:

2d740x.jpg

20ql43p.jpg

I think the Cunard Flamsbana excursion only takes you up as far as the hotel. If you get the train yourself, you can go right to the station at the top and have a walk around to see views such as this:

The excursions can vary. Our Cunard trip went to the station in Myrdal, but there was no time to tour the area. A few days later friends who were on a Holland America ship were able to book an excursion only to the hotel. They paid about US$50 more than we did, but they had a waffle at the hotel.

Booking direct with the railway makes it possible to take a stopover at Myrdal. Advance bookings were not available to individuals, only to groups, hence the mad dash to the station. Perhaps this policy has changed since 2013.

I enjoyed Olden (and have visited Geiranger twice) we did a ships tour that involved a fantastic hike to a glacier and a cruise on the lake and waffles with jam and cream at a mountain lodge (LOVATNET LAKE & KJENNDALEN GLACIER)

I've visited every port in Norway and Olden is one of my favourites :)

• 2 weeks later...
The excursions can vary. Our Cunard trip went to the station in Myrdal, but there was no time to tour the area. A few days later friends who were on a Holland America ship were able to book an excursion only to the hotel. They paid about US$50 more than we did, but they had a waffle at the hotel.

Booking direct with the railway makes it possible to take a stopover at Myrdal. Advance bookings were not available to individuals, only to groups, hence the mad dash to the station. Perhaps this policy has changed since 2013.

Appears can book for two or more people.

Has anyone done the Skagway train in Alaska? How does this compare to the Flamm train?

Thanks.

Appears can book for two or more people.

Has anyone done the Skagway train in Alaska? How does this compare to the Flamm train?

Thanks.

The booking for two or more is a change from our cruise in 2013. I don't remember what constituted a group at that time, but it was a lot more than two.

I have done the White Pass and Yukon excursion from Skagway twice: the first in 1972 and the second one last May. I can't say which one I prefer as they are both fabulous rail excursions.

There are two main differences I appreciated. In each direction the Flamsbana stops at the Kjosfossen waterfall and passengers may step off for a few minutes. The enchantress (siren) Haugtussa will entertain from a distance.

http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/norway-kjosfossen.html

The White Pass & Yukon train is a rarity in that each carriage has open platforms rather than a vestibule. Except for the short portion of the trip within the town of Skagway, passengers are permitted to stand outside.

We were lucky on our QE cruise in 2013. Originally we were supposed to call at Olden, but several weeks before the voyage the itinerary showed a change to Flam. That thrilled me because I always wanted to ride the stunning Flamsbana.

On our day in Flam, there were two other ships at anchor. There was also a large tour group staying in Flam. They had arrived and were departing by train. Needless to say the Flamsbana trains were very busy that day. Many people suggest that you should buy the tickets from the railway station (very close to the dock) and not pay the inflated cruise line prices. We didn't want to take a chance so we gladly paid Cunard in advance. Many of those on the ship, other than those who made a mad dash to the station as soon as the gangway was affixed, were unable to book the train.

This is why I always check out the ports to see how many other ships will be with us. We were in Flam on QE2 and back then, online booking wasn't available. Even though she was the only ship there, we got off early and got tickets on our own. We went to Myrdal and right back down again.

Pilgrim70, I agree that you are lucky to have Flam to yourself. It's a nice little town, but multiple ships could over-run it. Something that nobody seems to mention is the railway museum in Flam. It's a good companion experience to the train ride. You can learn about the construction of the railway before or after you take the ride.