Golf Cart Rentals

robomom

I have seen some posts that say golf cart rentals are $60 per day. Where do you find these carts (are they at the pier village) and can they be pre-rented? Everything I've found on-line is $75 for a pre-rented cart.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if they can be pre-rented. We paid $55 last week. Once you get past the shops at the pier, go out the exit where the taxis pick up. Keep to the right. The booth we used for the golf cart was the last one on the right.

We rented the golf cart as our friend needed to have this because of a walking issue. Other than that, there is no need to rent a cart unless you are going to "sightsee." :) If you are going to the town where Cats Meow and others are located, just grab a cab at $3pp, they drop you off at the head of town, you can then go to any of the establishments in the area,

use the beach, do shopping, etc. and grab a cab back at $2pp (I think)

To pre-rent is $75. That is because they will hold one for you. I believe our dp was $10 and we paid the rest at pickup. CASH, no credit cards at pick up.

You need to park the golfcart near the taxi area, but we stayed to the right and came down a side street. George at CM allowed us to park in front of his place - but remember we had the cart because it was necessary for one in our group. Other than that, there is no riding them around that area.:)

I agree with the thoughts regarding price. We took the golf cart because my DH and DB are avid golfers and they thought it would be fun. I would have rather saved the extra bucks and just taken a taxi to Mahahual, but this being our first time in Costa Maya we let the guys do what they wanted. (Even after telling them what I had heard on this site)

We also parked right in front of Cat's Meow. But, we didn't see too many vehicles driving past either.

Are there carts for 6? or only the 4 seaters?

I ask because we rented a cart in Feb and the 'golf car' :) rental guy said they were getting 6 seater carts. I'm wondering if they got them yet....

It was $15 hr/ $65 for all day in February07.

We rented the golf cart as our friend needed to have this because of a walking issue. Other than that, there is no need to rent a cart unless you are going to "sightsee." :) If you are going to the town where Cats Meow and others are located, just grab a cab at $3pp, they drop you off at the head of town, you can then go to any of the establishments in the area,

use the beach, do shopping, etc. and grab a cab back at $2pp (I think)

To pre-rent is $75. That is because they will hold one for you. I believe our dp was $10 and we paid the rest at pickup. CASH, no credit cards at pick up.

You need to park the golfcart near the taxi area, but we stayed to the right and came down a side street. George at CM allowed us to park in front of his place - but remember we had the cart because it was necessary for one in our group. Other than that, there is no riding them around that area.:)

We had actually been thinking of going to Maya Luna. Once we are there, we can opt to go back into town, tool around and explore a bit, have a bit of freedom. But, not sure if we want to plop down what we'd pay for a car rental elsewhwere. How much are cabs round trip to someplace like Maya Luna?

• 3 weeks later...

Just an added note to this thread....we wound up getting a golf cart from Otto of Costa Maya tours. Once we found the kiosk, that was in the parking area behind the large port complex, they had a cart waiting for us. We paid the balance (total cost $75) hopped in and took off. The return was also easy.

Otto called before our trip (I missed the call but got the voice mail) and followed up regarding our service after our trip. I would recommend this business and use them again.

P.S. make that CART rental!

So if I get a cart I cant use it in the shopping areas? Are the shopping areas walking only, no carts or anything? I was thinking of renting one to shop and then to go and explore a bit. Is it worth it? If I want to go sight seeing how can I do it? Taxi? I dont want to spend to much, how will I know how much the Taxi will charge me to bring me all around town and show me the place? I thought the cart would be perfect but I guess not if I cant drive it down the street where shopping and all is, what in the world would I do with it while shopping? Leave it at the end of the street?

Thanks

Danielle

Danielle,

You cannot use the golf cart in the Port shopping area. We rented in January and were allowed to drive our cart up and down the main road in Mahahual. The policeman told us to DRIVE SLOW. It was $65 for the day with a $50 deposit the golf cart guy held and gave back to us upon our return.

We went back to Costa Maya last week. Instead of renting a golf cart we took the bus to Mahahaul for $3 each and a taxi for $2 each to return - $35 total for transportation for the 7 of us. It really was not a long walk down the street - for people that can walk. (In Jan we had my dad and he cannot walk far, so the golf cart was worth the money so he didn't feel as though he was stopping us from doing anything.)

A BIG NOTE ABOUT THE BUS.... The bus drove way, way past the last business on the main street (Pez) and dropped everyone off at some sort of beach bar. I told him we wanted to be dropped off by the main street. He didn't want to at first, but I told him we would not get off the bus until he got closer to town. When he made the left turn to go back to the road behind the businesses (and where the beginning of the main street where Pez and Cat Meow are) we got off. For the life of me I don't know why he went so far down.....but everyone else in the bus got off there....except us. Is this normal?

Kathy

• 1 month later...

Hello!

My family and I just got home from Costa Maya a week ago. We rented a golf cart for the day which was $70. We rode it all over the area where building is going on, and on to Mahajual. We drove all over the village and met many people that live there and talked with them We gave little bags of small toys, candy, etc. to children all over the village. We saw the school, we bought souveniers from lot's of vendors along the street and we parked our golf cart right under a nice shady tree real close to the beach where we went swimming. We asked the police if what we were doing was okay and they said absolutely yes. Everyone in Mahajual was very friendly and happy to talk to you, and glad to see us on the golf cart. It was lot's of fun and made for a wonderful day at a port we hope to return to very soon! If you want to swimm in the pool or shop at the port you can do it after you turn in the golf cart before returning to the ship. Have a great cruise and if you want a really great day in Costa Maya rent the golf cart! :)

Pam

Archived