Bermuda with Kids?

phrique

Hey Folks,

We're planning on sailing to Bermuda on the Anthem (Oct 15th, 2016) with our three girls (aged 9, 6, and 3). A couple of questions that I was hoping you all might be able to help with:

1. I've heard the Atlantic can be choppy around this time of year. Anyone with any experience one way or another? The Anthem is pretty huge so I'm not overly concerned, just wondering.
  2. With the three little ones, we're somewhat limited in excursion options. Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do (or local guides to use) that would be great with 3 kids?

Thanks!

We have taken our two kids to Bermuda three times over four years, beginning when they were 6 and 8. They love it. We have never felt limited, using ferries, taxis and buses.

Some of the things we have done:

BAMZ - the zoo and aquarium

Crystal Caves

Ferry to St George to watch the dunking

Ferry to Hamilton to wander around

Horseshoe Bay

Warwick Long Bay, including beach hopping back to Horseshoe Bay

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

A private tour with Heidi Cowen from Bermuda Byways (http://www.bermudafootsteps.com/), including stops at Tom Moore's Jungle and Southlands.

Bike rentals on the Railway Path

But by far, our family favorite was renting a boat and puttering around, including under the Somerset Bridge and out to the Vixen shipwreck. They still talk about how fun it was. One year we had a Boston Whaler and one year a pontoon boat.

We have always been during the summer months, so I don't know about October.

Here are links to our photo albums.

Bermuda, August 2014

Bermuda, August 2013

Bermuda, June 2011

Have a great time!

Those are some fantastic photos, thanks for the suggestions as well. :) I'm pretty excited about getting my girls into cruising, and the cool thing about an NYC departure is we can drive there instead of flying.

We cruised to Bermuda when my kids were 10.5, 8 and 6 and we didn't feel like there were any limitations. The link to the trip report, with tons of photos and details, is in my signature.

Have fun!

We have taken our two kids to Bermuda three times over four years, beginning when they were 6 and 8. They love it. We have never felt limited, using ferries, taxis and buses.

Crystal Caves

Horseshoe Bay

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

A private tour with Heidi Cowen from Bermuda Byways (http://www.bermudafootsteps.com/), including stops at Tom Moore's Jungle and Southlands.

But by far, our family favorite was renting a boat and puttering around, including under the Somerset Bridge and out to the Vixen shipwreck. They still talk about how fun it was. One year we had a Boston Whaler and one year a pontoon boat.

Bermuda, August 2014

Bermuda, August 2013

Bermuda, June 2011

Have a great time!

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me more about Tom Moore's Jungle and the tour? Do you need a tour guide, or can you find the blue hole and caves exploring on your own? My fiancé and I want to go there when we visit Bermuda. Thank you!

I think it is do-able on your own. There were paths, but I don't really remember signs. Heidi, our guide, took us in a back way, so we were on the other side of the caves from most people. She also brought along flashlights which came in very handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal Caves

Horseshoe Bay

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

Bermuda, August 2014

Bermuda, August 2013

Bermuda, June 2011

Have a great time!

I live in Bermuda and my kids are 5 and 7. I can confirm this is solid advice.

The boat rental is a terrific idea, especially if your kids are capable of snorkelling. They will see lots, especially if you motor over to the HMCS Vixen, a partially exposed shipwreck where the fish are conditioned to be fed and will swarm the boat in surrealistic fashion. Take some bread or bananas to feed them.

October is my favourite time of year; the oppressive heat has abated but the ocean is still very warm. It is the end of hurricane season, which might impact you. It is unlikely a hurricane will strike Bermuda, but they can change your path, itinerary, and make the North Atlantic a bit choppy. It is a big ship though.

What beaches are particularly calm? I see some in the photos that look really shallow and perfect for kids, but I'm not quite sure where that is? My son can't swim yet (and frankly, neither can I).

Tobacco Bay is completely sheltered, almost like a large pool. Depending on tides, it is often no more than a few feet deep for most of it. Elbow Beach is relatively calm as is Horseshoe. Horseshoe has lifeguards but also can have rip currents. Dangerous currents only really exist when there is an angry sea, so usually safe. I always recommend staying away from the centre of any "U" shaped beach, like Horseshoe, as that is where the wave enemy converts and creates currents away from the shore.

Shelly Bay is flat calm and Admiralty Park has a very sheltered and very calm little beach. The beaches at ClearWater are calm, but can be rocky. There are three beaches all in proximity to each other with each facing a different direction, so one will always be calm.

Church Bay is exposed and rough. Great for the undersea wildlife, but not an easy swim. All of the South Shore beaches are at the mercy of the sea and wind, but if you start at Horseshoe and wander the trail, Horseshoe, Stonehole, Warwick Long Bay, and Chaplain Bay are all somewhat connected.

Beach Map: https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000005.htm

What beaches are particularly calm? I see some in the photos that look really shallow and perfect for kids, but I'm not quite sure where that is? My son can't swim yet (and frankly, neither can I).

Towards the western end of Horseshoe Bay, there is a small cove surrounded by cliffs, known as the Baby Beach. Bonus is that HSB has complete facilities.

http://www.theonionpatch.com/html/4525.html

https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00018d.htm

SBtS

• 1 month later...
We cruised to Bermuda when my kids were 10.5, 8 and 6 and we didn't feel like there were any limitations. The link to the trip report, with tons of photos and details, is in my signature.

Have fun!

Would love to read your trip report, but can't seem to find it in your signature. Could you please email it to me at rkrsan47 at gmail dot com??

We are taking our grandkids next July....10, 7 and 4.

Thanks so much,

Kathy:D

we've always wanted to try it and am SO glad we did! It was amazing and peaceful and so much fun! My kids are older now, 12-23, but there were a couple of families with younger kids who also did it and they all loved it!

Would love to read your trip report, but can't seem to find it in your signature. Could you please email it to me at rkrsan47 at gmail dot com??

We are taking our grandkids next July....10, 7 and 4.

Thanks so much,

Kathy:D

:confused: It's right after my original comment. There is a hyperlink that says "Boston to Bermuda with kids (August 2014)--includes tons of photos!"

Wondering if I've added the link here in the post, too.

Is there an option where you've turned off seeing the signatures?

:confused: It's right after my original comment. There is a hyperlink that says "Boston to Bermuda with kids (August 2014)--includes tons of photos!"

Wondering if I've added the link here in the post, too.

Is there an option where you've turned off seeing the signatures?

Your link here works.

As for the signatures, many have them turned off if they are viewing Cruise Critic with a web browser because there are some whose signatures are horrendous. Others are using mobile forum software like Tapatalk which does not show them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Your link here works.

As for the signatures, many have them turned off if they are viewing Cruise Critic with a web browser because there are some whose signatures are horrendous. Others are using mobile forum software like Tapatalk which does not show them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am guessing that is it.

I didn't realize when I went back to copy the name of my thread that it actually was copying the hyperlink as well. That should help the person who asked for the link, even if they can't see the signature line.

Hey Folks,

We're planning on sailing to Bermuda on the Anthem (Oct 15th, 2016) with our three girls (aged 9, 6, and 3). A couple of questions that I was hoping you all might be able to help with:

1. I've heard the Atlantic can be choppy around this time of year. Anyone with any experience one way or another? The Anthem is pretty huge so I'm not overly concerned, just wondering.
  2. With the three little ones, we're somewhat limited in excursion options. Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do (or local guides to use) that would be great with 3 kids?

Thanks!

Consider renting a Boston whaler for 3 - 4 hrs from one of the outfits like H2O or Somerset Bridge Watersports. Great way to experience Bermuda and enjoy a nice picnic on your own private island. The boats are easy to use and very safe and they have a larger size that would be just right for your family.

• 2 weeks later...
Consider renting a Boston whaler for 3 - 4 hrs from one of the outfits like H2O or Somerset Bridge Watersports. Great way to experience Bermuda and enjoy a nice picnic on your own private island. The boats are easy to use and very safe and they have a larger size that would be just right for your family.

If we were to do this, what islands should we aim for?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Folks,

2. I've heard the Atlantic can be choppy around this time of year. Anyone with any experience one way or another? The Anthem is pretty huge so I'm not overly concerned, just wondering.

3. With the three little ones, we're somewhat limited in excursion options. Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do (or local guides to use) that would be great with 3 kids?

Thanks!

We will be on the Anthem leaving Cape Liberty on 10/15. My 10 yr old grandson and 8 yr old granddaughter will be along. Are your children going to Adventure Ocean?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...

Where do you rent boat from?

Crystal Caves

Horseshoe Bay

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

Bermuda, August 2014

Bermuda, August 2013

Bermuda, June 2011

Have a great time!