St. George's and scooters

LA_CA_GAL

We have been to Bermuda twice, but never to St. George's.

I would never even consider renting a scooter to do King's Wharf, Hamilton, etc.

However, looking at pictures and doing my research, am I correct in assuming that traffic in St. George's is pretty light?

Another point, we will be on the Summit June 26 sailing, the week that NCL Breakaway will be chartered and going to Canada,

so, being the only ship in port, I would think this would also cut down traffic somewhat.

Just looking for input from those of you that have done St. George's.

We have been to Bermuda twice, but never to St. George's.

I would never even consider renting a scooter to do King's Wharf, Hamilton, etc.

However, looking at pictures and doing my research, am I correct in assuming that traffic in St. George's is pretty light?

Another point, we will be on the Summit June 26 sailing, the week that NCL Breakaway will be chartered and going to Canada,

so, being the only ship in port, I would think this would also cut down traffic somewhat.

Just looking for input from those of you that have done St. George's.

Everything is walking distance and walkable. I don't think renting a scooter for only St. George's makes a whole lot of sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everything is walking distance and walkable. I don't think renting a scooter for only St. George's makes a whole lot of sense.

I would agree with this poster, St George is easily done on foot.. I never rented a scooter in Bermuda, they drive like maniacs. I waited til we were in St. Kitts and rented scooters there. Much more laid back, those drivers.

There's been at least 2 reported scooter accidents this cruise season, for whatever reasons and driving on the left side of the road and going the opposite way at the "rotary" circle is the right way, with the rental scooter being "under-powered" vs. the local's scooter - in helping to keep the driver/riders to stay within 25 mph speed limit, island-wide on the narrow & winding road. There are a # of YT videos about riding BDA, have a look first & see if you are fully prepared - AND - make sure you have full international medical & accident insurance coverage, including medevac & air ambulance ... seriously, just in case. Also, check your disability coverage as you could be out for a while due to an "unexpected" injuries as a result, not to mention months of physical therapy & rehab. after returning to the U.S. mainland.

We came upon one of the scooter accident during our stay, not far from BDA's main hospital / new ER (nice looking ... not interested in a free "trip" or "inside tour") with emergency services already on scene, riding the #7 bus back to Dockyard from downtown Hamilton.

The fastest way from Dockyard to St. George's is on SeaExpress's fast ferry, and they usually do the run with their bigger/est CAT (double hull hydro-foils or catamarans) - much more relaxing & scenic than DIY on the scooters.

Come to think of it, we didn't see anyone driving around with the scooters in SG during our 1/2 day there 2 weeks ago ... like most cruise ship pax, we're either on foot and/or getting off/on those public/chartered mid-sized buses.

Some of the worst cycle-related injuries are the results of not wearing proper protective clothing & related gears ... end of June in BDA would be pretty warm & it was already humid last month, so be prepared to work up a sweat driving around. Good luck.

Yes, they drive like maniacs. I know how dangerous it is from visiting Bermuda twice.

However, looking at the map, seeing pictures of St. George, my curiosity is to what those that have spent time in St. George's thinks.

As it is furthest north, kind of out of the way, it would be nothing like riding scooters throughout Hamilton, or from the dockyards to the rest of the island.

I am considering taking the ferry, renting a scooter in St. George's by the ferry terminal, heading up to Tobacco Bay, and just checking out some of the forts, churches, etc at St. George's.

The traffic in St. George is very light. If you rent from Oleander, you can rent in St.G, drive around, turn in the scooter, take the ferry back, and pick up another scooter at Dockyard for free. If you rent for 2 days, you could drive around Dockyard and go to the south shore beaches 1 day, and do St. George another day. It is expensive to rent for just 1 or 2 days, but you can check out the prices and rent online (10% discount online) at the Oleander site. If you change your mind, they will refund you. That being said, imho, unless you have previous motorcycle, a lot of bicycle, or better yet, scooter experience, I would not even consider it. Even with that experience, I would practice on it for a while before taking it out on the main roads. My friend let his wife drive, she had no experience or practice. She crashed within 20 ft. A couple of scrapes, and lesson learned. Also, it takes a little getting used to driving on the left side of the road. But, if you meet the above qualifications and feel comfortable, I wouldn't talk you out of it. The speed limit is only 40kmh (22mph), but most locals go faster.

The traffic in St. George is very light. If you rent from Oleander, you can rent in St.G, drive around, turn in the scooter, take the ferry back, and pick up another scooter at Dockyard for free. If you rent for 2 days, you could drive around Dockyard and go to the south shore beaches 1 day, and do St. George another day. It is expensive to rent for just 1 or 2 days, but you can check out the prices and rent online (10% discount online) at the Oleander site. If you change your mind, they will refund you. That being said, imho, unless you have previous motorcycle, a lot of bicycle, or better yet, scooter experience, I would not even consider it. Even with that experience, I would practice on it for a while before taking it out on the main roads. My friend let his wife drive, she had no experience or practice. She crashed within 20 ft. A couple of scrapes, and lesson learned. Also, it takes a little getting used to driving on the left side of the road. But, if you meet the above qualifications and feel comfortable, I wouldn't talk you out of it. The speed limit is only 40kmh (22mph), but most locals go faster.

I have done/owned motorcycles, so am comfortable with that part.

As I said, I would not consider doing the dockyard to Hamilton etc, not because I couldn't handle it, it is those other scooter newbies and crazy other drives.

But, looking at St. George, I think renting one from Oleander and just running up to Tobacco Bay, the unfinished church, the fort, etc might be pretty do-able.

But, looking at St. George, I think renting one from Oleander and just running up to Tobacco Bay, the unfinished church, the fort, etc might be pretty do-able.

It will be about a five minute walk to the cycle rental place on York from the ferry terminal. It is a few blocks away.

From there if you were walking it would take about three minutes or less to walk to the Unfinished Church. From the church to Tobacco bay another ten minute walk. From Tobacco Bay to Fort St. Catherine about a five minute walk.

Doing that by cycle does not seem efficient either time wise or expense wise. I don't see why anyone would bother to take a ferry to St. George's and rent a cycle only for St.George's but to each their own. I also don't get nose rings, blue hair, or tattoos....

St George would be a perfect place to get a feel for the scooter, but like what was mentioned its kind of a waste of money for an afternoon in St George w/o going anywhere else. Although I've had many afternoons trudging back to the ferry/bus in the sun I'd wished I had one . Never been lucky enough for the HOHO bus/trolley.

If you don't like walking in the heat, it's not a waste. If you don't like walking cause it makes you sore and tired, it's not a waste. It takes 2 min by scooter to Tobacco bay from Oleanders, 10 to 15 minute walk. You can do and see so much more with a scooter in very little time compared to walking. Also, if you want to explore Gates fort, Alexandra Battery/glass beach it's only a 4 minutes from Tobacco Bay by scooter (about a 20- 30 min walk). And as a bonus, I would highly recommend, going to St. Davids Island. Clearwater beach, Turtle bay, Coopers Nature Reserve, and St. Davids Lighthouse are all on St Davids. Clearwater beach is one of my favs, and has a restaurant/bar (Gombey's) and bathrooms. Plus some shaded areas w/picnic tables just behind the beach.

Edited by mcbutter

If you don't like walking in the heat, it's not a waste. If you don't like walking cause it makes you sore and tired, it's not a waste. It takes 2 min by scooter to Tobacco bay from Oleanders, 10 to 15 minute walk. You can do and see so much more with a scooter in very little time compared to walking. Also, if you want to explore Gates fort, Alexandra Battery/glass beach it's only a 4 minutes from Tobacco Bay by scooter (about a 20- 30 min walk). And as a bonus, I would highly recommend, going to St. Davids Island. Clearwater beach, Turtle bay, Coopers Nature Reserve, and St. Davids Lighthouse are all on St Davids. Clearwater beach is one of my favs, and has a restaurant/bar (Gombey's) and bathrooms. Plus some shaded areas w/picnic tables just behind the beach.

They didn't say anything about going to those other places. As far as saving time it will probably take 30 minutes to rent the scooter. I have been to St David's Island but didn't need a scooter. And I walked to Gates Fort and the glass beach there. You see more walking than by taxi or scooter.

I will admit that personally I love walking and hiking. And even though I am not a spring chicken I don't get sore walking. If I did have mobility issues or heat issues I would not rent a scooter. I would take taxis. And they are less expensive than renting scooters if all you are doing is going around St. George's.

If they rent a scooter I hope they make sure to have medical and evacuation insurance. Even though St. George looks easy I saw someone scrape the wall on the side of the road going up to the unfinished church.

Probably most who rent a scooter think it is doable....until it isn't.

Edited by Charles4515

No, she didn't say anything about those other places. I was offering suggestions if she decided to rent a scooter. My experiences with Oleander took about 5 minutes. You walk in, hand them the confirmation, sign a contract and pay, pick out a helmet, go outside and go over the bikes workings( starting, brakes, turn signals, storage, etc.), take the bike for a short ride and back, done. Now, if you walked to St. Davids Island, that's about 3 miles from St. George, Clearwater beach about 4 miles. About an hour there and an hour back walking. 10 minutes by scooter. If all you are going to do is go to Tobacco Bay and back, like Charles4515 said, just get a cab or walk. And, Charles is also correct, you see more walking than on a scooter, bus or cab. As far as medical and evacuation insurance, it's a good idea to have it whether you rent a scooter or not. And she knows it's got an element of danger, I've told her, you've told her, I'm sure others have told her. But lets not make it sound like it's jumping off a 1000 ft cliff into a shot glass. There's no more danger driving a scooter in Bermuda than driving a motorcycle in the states on roads you're not familiar with. imho.

Now, if you walked to St. Davids Island, that's about 3 miles from St. George, Clearwater beach about 4 miles. About an hour there and an hour back walking. 10 minutes by scooter.

There's no more danger driving a scooter in Bermuda than driving a motorcycle in the states on roads you're not familiar with. imho.

Of course I didn't walk to St. David's Island. There are shuttles from St. George, public buses and taxis. If for some reason you wanted to do and see everything in one shot you could do all the places you mentioned on St. George's and St. David by taxi tour.

I don't agree with you that there is less danger driving a scooter in Bermuda that a motorcycle in the states. In Bermuda if you are from the states the driving is on the other side, there are very few shoulders in Bermuda and there are roads with a wall on the side. Also an island like Bermuda does not have the road safety design that happens in a developed country. They don't have the resources. Driving in a different culture and country there is different road etiquette.

d2e3ef0ebf290a0a0858840998aa61a2.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

Just so you know, many many years ago, I worked in Center City Philadelphia.

I would get to work and back on a motorcycle, through rush hour, so, I do have experience on a bike in incredibly crazy situations.

Yes, you can take taxi tours, they charge by the hour. Not sure the cost, but, something you can look into if that interests you. But, if you want the most freedom of being able to get up and go at that moment, scooters and walking offer that. In some ways a scooter in Bermuda is less safe, in some ways more. Less, would be driving on the other side of the road and roads are somewhat narrow and curvy. More would be, a scooter only goes about 40 mph and the speed limit is 10 - 22 mph in Bermuda. In the U.S., motorcycles can go well over 100 mph and speed limit is 25 - 70 mph. In the U.S. in most cities, like where she drove motorcycles, there is way more traffic and going much faster. From what I experienced, as far as road etiquette, the drivers in Bermuda are far more patient, amiable and helpful, than in the U.S. St George and St. Davids have very little traffic and are pretty easy to navigate. If you have a problem finding something,(we did), people will help willingly. One person even said "follow me" and took us to our destination. As for maniacs on Bermuda roads, people in cars are fine. It's the motorcycles and scooters that use traffic as a slalom course occasionally. If all you've done is ride buses, I can see where you think they're maniacs. Cause some of those bus drivers feel like they have to prove they can corner at high speeds. But in St. George the buses only go on Mullet bay/Wellington. So the whole rest of the island is bus free. And only one bus that travels St. Davids.

Maybe the OP just wants to experience scooting around. The risks have been noted and it's up to them to weigh those risks whether someone else cannot see any reason to rent a scooter. LA_CA_GAL, we've done the circular route from center town, up to Tobacco Bay, over to St. Catherine's beach and on back down into the center of town any number of times. Sometimes we never saw a single car and other times just a couple.

I always try to dissuade any one renting a scooter. However, IF I ever felt the burning need to do so, St. George is where I would do it. I have done a scooter but it was back in the dark ages when the scooters were started by peddling to get the motor running.:D The others on the road were not in such a red hot hurry to get anywhere like they are today.

bc956dc4.jpg

If all you've done is ride buses,

I have been to Bermuda twelve times. I will only ride buses, taxis, shutlles and walk because every cruise I have met passengers who had accidents on scooters. I know someone who broke her Pelvis in a scooter accident. A couple of times I witnessed minor accidents and I saw an almost major accident when the driver looked the wrong way pulling out of the Swizzle Inn. Certainly most passengers who rent scooters are not going to have an accident but from what I have seen it is not uncommon. So no thanks. I am on vacation. I dont need the aggravation particularly since Bermuda has extensive public and private transportation options. And on St. George's island the distances are so short, I don't usually take taxis or shuttles, I walk because, well, I can, I have no walking problems, and walking is healthy. Not all can walk, so for them shuttles and taxis are better.

As far as motorcycles in the US, I am not a fan in the states either. Never rode one because when I as twenty I was staying at a friends in New York City for a few weeks and he got killed on the Brooklyn Bridge on his motorcycle during my visit. The next year I was living in Los Angeles in Echo Park and heard a squeal about 2 am. Looked out the door and there was a motorcycle in front of the house. And a dead guy who had lost control of the cycle. So I never got on one.

Edited by Charles4515

Maybe the OP just wants to experience scooting around. The risks have been noted and it's up to them to weigh those risks whether someone else cannot see any reason to rent a scooter. LA_CA_GAL, we've done the circular route from center town, up to Tobacco Bay, over to St. Catherine's beach and on back down into the center of town any number of times. Sometimes we never saw a single car and other times just a couple.

I always try to dissuade any one renting a scooter. However, IF I ever felt the burning need to do so, St. George is where I would do it. I have done a scooter but it was back in the dark ages when the scooters were started by peddling to get the motor running.:D The others on the road were not in such a red hot hurry to get anywhere like they are today.

bc956dc4.jpg

Most of the traffic is on York. Water Street is closed to traffic during the day. The road to Tobacco, and to St. Catherine, there is almost no traffic, cars or scooters.

You can have an accident without traffic though. I saw a cyclist slide somehow and hit the wall on the side of the road uphill to the Unfinshed Church.

Edited by Charles4515

We get it Charles. You don't think scooters are a wise choice. I've had a couple friends killed in car accidents. And, I've known several who have been injured. I've had a few car accidents. Does that make me want to stop driving cars. No, it makes me more aware and careful. You can trip, fall, and break something. You can step on a nail and puncture your foot. That has happened to me walking. Does that make walking dangerous? I've never had an injury or accident on a motorcycle. Does that make it safer than walking or cars? Of course not. The bottom line is: be careful and know your limits. If she doesn't feel comfortable or feels it's too dangerous, hopefully, she won't do it. But preaching to her about how bad and dangerous it is, from someone who has never rode or owned motorcycles or scooters.... She's a big girl, she can decide. Btw Charles, I think you are a huge asset to these boards, and like Njhorseman, and iheartbda, your knowledge of Bermuda is vast.

I would rent a horse and buggy . :D

Can I get just the horse? That would be cool.;)

Hey, i really appreciate all of the input here. The info given is really great, and am considering everyone's input.

Still haven't decided, might be an on the minute decision, but, if I live to tell about it, be assured, I will come back and give everyone my thoughts.

19 days 'til we sale, and I have yet to even discuss this with my significant other, who, to say the least is an incredible wimp when it comes to things like this.:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Everytime Ive cruised to Bermuda, Ive rented a double scooter for the wife and I. Ive never owned a motorcycle,nor do i care to, ive ridden a bicycle all of my life thru the streets of NYC. When we ride in Bermuda, I always pull over to let buses/cars pass me by. I respect wet pavement and and the speed of the bike. Hamilton can be tricky to navigate, with all of the traffic there, But once you are out of Hamilton the ride to St George is great, passing the airport and the wide open spaces there are thrilling. The scenery on the way back as you pass all of the beaches is breathtaking.