What time can we get in our room?

ljwacker

If the ship leaves at 4 and we board between 12-1, what time can we expect to be able to get into our room? Thanks!

We usually go to the ship terminal around 10 am, board betwen 11 - 11:30 and go directly to our room, spray lysol all around bedding and bath, wipe down phone, door knobs, faucets, remote, etc. with antibacterial wipes, (never hurts to be cautious) unpack... then head for the buffet. Then we have the rest of the afternoon to explore our ship and get ready to sail. So darn exciting. :D gg

On some ships they may let you on board at 11:30 or 12, but they will keep the cabin areas locked off from the passengers until 1 or 2 pm (or until all the cabins are cleaned and ready). as they usually publish "boarding at 2 pm", consider any extra time on board as a free bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

Some cruise lines do have different times for cabins to be open. RCCL is sometime after 1 PM.

In any case, just to be safe...plan to take in your carry-on your swimsuit. Then you can enjoy the deck/pool area while you wait for your cabin to open.

If you are not a 'sun-lover' you can use this time to tour around the ship...take photos of the lounges/public rooms without the crowds.

Have lunch at the buffet.....and just relax. This is your vacation.

:) HappyCruisingg!:)

We usually go to the ship terminal around 10 am, board betwen 11 - 11:30 and go directly to our room, spray lysol all around bedding and bath, wipe down phone, door knobs, faucets, remote, etc. with antibacterial wipes, (never hurts to be cautious) unpack... then head for the buffet. Then we have the rest of the afternoon to explore our ship and get ready to sail. So darn exciting. :D gg

I read this frequently. What do you do with the rest of the ships doorknobs, rails, countertops, buffet ladles, elevator buttons etc...;)

To the OP, sometimes you can board by 11:30 or 12, sometimes you cannot get to your cabin until 1pm, sto don't overload yourself with carry on stuff.

Wacker - :) Welcome to the boards. It helps us answer your questions if you say which ship or cruiseline you are using. So many policies vary line to line.

Carnival, for instance, says the cabins won't be ready for occupancy until 1pm; however, I'm always on the ship around noon and my cabin has been ready. It not, you can ask the cabin steward in the hall if you can drop off your carry-on luggage in the closet out of his way if he's still cleaning your cabin.

If the ship leaves at 4 and we board between 12-1, what time can we expect to be able to get into our room? Thanks!

OK, as far as the crew is concerned, this is just a turn around day for the cruise. At least 50% of the crew has left the ship before the first passenger is let off the ship. A lot of the crew has work to do this day, which must be completed before they can have free time on shore. Cabins cannot be cleaned until the previous passengers leave. So, a combo of your cabin being cleaned last and you getting to the ship early can mean a conflict.

This may sound stupid, but you have to get into a “cruise mindset” as soon as possible. That is relax and take your time. Unless you have traditional dinning or want to see a particular show, the clock is meaningless.

Go to your cabin, if it’s not ready, your steward will be in the area. Introduce yourself and simply ask if you can leave your carry ons. 95% of the time, the steward will stop what he’s doing and do the first day intro stuff and let you know it’s OK to leave your stuff. Be aware of the other 5%, things need to be done to a cabin at some point. The end/start of a cruise is perfect for carpet cleaning, electrical or plumbing maintenance or, in our case early last year, a new coat of varnish on the balcony rail. There will be a bar open somewhere on the ship, sit down, put your legs up on your bags and let the world go by.

Do you take Lysol spray and do you fly and pack it in your luggage? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on whether this is permissable. I know you can take hairspray but a lot of other items are not allowed.

Chris

I read this frequently. What do you do with the rest of the ships doorknobs, rails, countertops, buffet ladles, elevator buttons etc...;)

To the OP, sometimes you can board by 11:30 or 12, sometimes you cannot get to your cabin until 1pm, sto don't overload yourself with carry on stuff.

I figure I am going to be touching my own toilet, sink, tub, doorknobs, remote, phone, etc. more than items outside my cabin - so I do think it just makes sense to clean them starting out. Heh, it takes all of 15 minutes. And I don't touch door knobs, rails, countertops, etc. anymore than possible. Plus, I use Purell frequently. I just want to do what I can to stay a bit healthier for a trip I have planned on for a long time, and spent a lot of $$$ on. Plus, if you listen to our health care providers, they encourage you to use the antibacterial wipes when going to hotels, cruises, etc. to clean where others don't always. Works for me !!! :D gg

Do you take Lysol spray and do you fly and pack it in your luggage? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on whether this is permissable. I know you can take hairspray but a lot of other items are not allowed.

Chris

I have carried Lysol spray (small can), in checked luggage, just like hairspray, with no problems, and use it to spray linens, under bed, around tub and toilet area, and in tub. If you ever watch any of the news pieces on what "stuff" is on the beds, tubs, walls, etc. it makes you want to take just a few minutes to do a little disinfecting. Also, I use the disinfecting wipes to wipe down hard surfaces. Just makes my cruise start off right, to clean first. Maybe its the homemaker in me. First we clean, then we play.:D gg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived