Panama Canal first-time cruise solo - Coral Princess or Norwegian Star?

Scougs

Planning my first ever ocean cruise (have done a couple of river cruises) as sailing through the Panama Canal is on my bucket list. I've done a lot of research and read a lot of reviews, and have whittled it down to either the Norwegian Star or Coral Princess, both departing January 2019.

I'm a young-acting fifty-something lady, and will be travelling solo. I have already decided that a balcony is a must, so I can have somewhere to sit with a bit of privacy with a drink and a book. While on ship, I'll be looking for some chill out time, some pool time, live music, entertainment - but in an adult setting. I've nothing against people wanting to have a fun, family holiday - I just want it to be anywhere around me! I see the Coral Princess has an "Adults only" spa pool - anyone know if there is a charge for this, ie only available to paying spa customers? Do Norwegian aim at the more family end of the market, and therefore their pools are likely to be full of noisy children having fun?

Anybody with any experience of Princess or Norwegian that they can share? Any tips?

I did a solo partial canal transit on the Coral Princess in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have never sailed with Norwegian. I don't think you should dismiss Norwegian based on your perception of a lot of noisy families and children. Panama Canal cruises, whether full or partial transits, are well over 7 days long, and are more per day than other cruises due to the Canal fees. These cruises, due to their price and length, are out of the reach of the average family with children. I don't even recall any children on my cruise, although I'm sure there may have been some.

When we transited the locks, I moved around the ship and think I saw a lot more than if I had stayed on a cabin balcony, but that's your call. Enjoy your cruise whatever you choose. The Panama Canal is definitely something to be experienced.

Roz

Thanks for the reply. Helpful to have someone who's had the experience on Coral Princess. Oh, I'm not planning on staying on my balcony for the transit itself - it's just nice to know I've got my own wee piece of outside space to retreat to for the rest of the trip.

I hadn't thought of the price and length of these cruises effectively making them less appealing for family vacations. Great input, thanks.

You may also find it useful to post your question over on the solo cruisers board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=373

Lots of helpful solo cruisers there. Someone may be able to provide you with information on Norwegian. I might add that the Coral Princess and her sister the Island Princess were specifically designed to transit the Canal.

Roz

I would not choose Norwegian Star for Panama Canal. We did for our second transit and I was glad it was not my first canal transit since there were very few public areas for viewing the transit. Although most NCL ships have a wonderful observation lounge high above the bow, the Star does not. There are cabins there instead.

For a canal transit you'll want to watch from various parts of the ship. When entering a lock the view from bow is best. Very little bow space on Star.

You will most likely encounter very few families on a January cruise over 7 days as school is in session. So don't worry about too many children. Most likely passenger age will skew to higher ages 60's and 70's as retirees have the time to cruise for a longer period of time.

We were on the Coral Princess for this cruise last January. There were only a handful of kids on board. There was a viewing area at the front of the ship near our cabin. The view from the promenade deck was also interesting since it is closer to the action when going through the locks. You will love the adults only pool. It is out of the wind and there is no extra charge.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app