Reciprocity fees

Nebr.cruiser

They were suspended / not being charged by either country when we went in March. Argentina was a more recent suspension with an agreement between Obama and Argentina. Check the State Dept's travel section for the latest.

Tammy

The warning is usually a general one and encourages everyone to look into the fee. While US passport holders are not required to have a permit other countries are required to pay up.

And Brits haven't had to pay for either, certainly in recent years.

Depends very much on your own citizenship - those fees are all a matter of tit-for-tat, or you-scratch-my-back

Clearly Obama did some back-scratching ;)

JB :)

• 2 months later...

Canadians are not so lucky. We have been told we have to pay $120 each to enter Brazil and supply all kinds of information (bank account info, proof of employment etc.)

For Argentina we also have to pay a reciprocity fee of about $95.00 but not as much info is required and easier.

Guess we ask for more from both countries and they do the same to us.

Canadians are not so lucky. We have been told we have to pay $120 each to enter Brazil and supply all kinds of information (bank account info, proof of employment etc.)

Americans feel your pain - the Brazilian visa for us is $160 per person and also requires all kinds of documentation. At least they are good for 10 years now. Our first visa (which we got in 2009) was only good for 5 years.

We have actually avoided Brazil because of it. I suppose sometime we will bite the bullet, go through the hoops and pay the fee, but purposely choose an around the Horn cruise that started in Buenos Aires because of that fee.

The expense of the visas was worth it to us. Our first Brazilian visa was for a fantastic Amazon cruise. On last winter's cruise we could have disembarked in Buenos Aires but decided to get new visas and spend 2 nights in Rio followed by 2 nights in Iguassu Falls. Rio was fascinating and the falls are some of the most stupendous scenery on earth so we are glad we did. Now we have 9 years left on our visas to visit Brazil again.

The expense of the visas was worth it to us. Our first Brazilian visa was for a fantastic Amazon cruise. On last winter's cruise we could have disembarked in Buenos Aires but decided to get new visas and spend 2 nights in Rio followed by 2 nights in Iguassu Falls. Rio was fascinating and the falls are some of the most stupendous scenery on earth so we are glad we did. Now we have 9 years left on our visas to visit Brazil again.

I'm sure you are right and hopefully sometime we will get to Brazil and see the falls and the Amazon, Rio, etc. On this cruise we just want to concentrate on the Horn and other sights along the wat; it's already a very expensive trip, and about as long as we can be gone.

Nebraska Cruiser, Buenos Aires is my favorite city in South America, if not the world. The Around the Horn cruise includes some amazing sites, so you will have a lot to do and see without going to the Amazon or Rio. And should you want to visit Iguazu Falls, you can visit the Argentine side of the falls without a Brazilian Visa. Iguazu is so stunning that it is definitely worth a trip, if not now in your future travels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are reciprocity fees charged on entering Argentina and flying out of Santiago? If so, how much are they currently. We cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso.

The reciprocal fees to enter to Chile is only to the Australian citizen when they arrive to the international airport in Santiago ,,,if any australian citizen arrive by ship they dont pay any amount,,,best regards

• 2 weeks later...

We spent hours today trying to fill in the application for Brazil (online and scan a picture). Could not get the picture to fit and we are told we have to do it online and submit it. We can't bring the application and the picture to the Embassy. Frustrated and wonder why the picture won't be accepted. Anyone else have this problem?

We spent hours today trying to fill in the application for Brazil (online and scan a picture). Could not get the picture to fit and we are told we have to do it online and submit it. We can't bring the application and the picture to the Embassy. Frustrated and wonder why the picture won't be accepted. Anyone else have this problem?

This was our experience with the photo last year:

Since my scan to computer function wasn't working on my printer, I just scanned my passport photo into an email, sent it to myself, and saved it on my drive. I was given the option of a variety of sizes and just picked the middle size. When I saved it to my drive it looked like the normal size passport picture on a blank sheet of paper. When I saved it to the on-line form an outline appeared of a face and shoulders with the ability to crop the picture to fit the outline. Since my picture was smaller I just ignored it and saved it as is. I had no problem adding it to the on line documentation and successfully processing the application and getting an official receipt. Don't forget to glue your passport photo onto the official receipt.

The process was similar for the signature. I signed the middle of a blank page and when you save it to the on-line form there is the ability to crop it down to size. Don't forget to sign the official receipt and add your printed name and phone number as a last step.

Hope this helps!

Like you, I struggled with the application for several hours. Finally I found http://www.picresize.com and that really helped me get everything to the right size. I am presuming your application in the States would be similar to our one in Canada. I had my special size passport photo taken (not the same size as our normal passport photos here). Then I scanned it to the right size and copied it to the application. Then stretched it so that my face fit the head shape on the application. With work, everything worked. Stick with it. Just take a few breaks to get back your sanity!! I figure that now we have the visas, we will definitely need to plan another cruise to Brazil, just to make all that work worthwhile!!

Like you, I struggled with the application for several hours. Finally I found www.picresize.com and that really helped me get everything to the right size. I am presuming your application in the States would be similar to our one in Canada. I had my special size passport photo taken (not the same size as our normal passport photos here). Then I scanned it to the right size and copied it to the application. Then stretched it so that my face fit the head shape on the application. With work, everything worked. Stick with it. Just take a few breaks to get back your sanity!! I figure that now we have the visas, we will definitely need to plan another cruise to Brazil, just to make all that work worthwhile!!

We are Canadian and filling out the same application that you would have filled out. Our daughter has been helping us and we will try your suggestion. Thank you.

We were in Rio a few years ago (actually about 12 years ago). I don't plan to get off the ship in the two Brazil ports but my husband wants to do a couple of tours so he is getting the Visa. Not me. I will enjoy time on board instead. I don't like all the crime and certainly don't care for the Visa application process or the cost.

We are Canadian and filling out the same application that you would have filled out. Our daughter has been helping us and we will try your suggestion. Thank you.

We were in Rio a few years ago (actually about 12 years ago). I don't plan to get off the ship in the two Brazil ports but my husband wants to do a couple of tours so he is getting the Visa. Not me. I will enjoy time on board instead. I don't like all the crime and certainly don't care for the Visa application process or the cost.

Yes. This Brazilian visa its a night mare plus $160 you have to do it on line vey tricky one mistake one month delay.

I might even cancel my cruise and tell the Brazilians ...stick it

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Read your cruise documentation carefully. I know our documentation on two cruises that had stops in Brazil said, in bold font, "Brazilian visa needed" and that was without reference to whether we intended to disembark in port or not. As far as I know, even if you plan to stay on board the ship, you will not be allowed to embark without a visa. That is a Brazilian rule (if you are in Brazilian waters you need a visa), not a ship's rule. Brazilian immigration authorities will come on board and review everyone's passports and visas (in our experience the ship collects them in advance) as soon as or shortly after the ship enters Brazilian waters.

I don't plan to get off the ship in the two Brazil ports but my husband wants to do a couple of tours so he is getting the Visa. Not me. I will enjoy time on board instead. I don't like all the crime and certainly don't care for the Visa application process or the cost.

You definitely need to research this approach....as it is likely that, if you pursue this, you will stay home with your kids/pets while your husband has a fabulous trip. :cool::eek::D

Like those before me said, please check your documentation carefully. I know for our cruise we MUST have our Argentina paperwork before we get on the ship in Brazil. We won't have the option to simply not get off the ship in Argentina. I agree with the others that you will likely be denied boarding without a Brazilian visa. And allow LOTS of time to get it too!!