Several Azura questions.

Bluebury

Hi, everyone - we will be travelling on the Azura and we have some questions which we hope you will be able to help with.

1. We will be in an ocean view so unfortunately no balcony. We are not bothered about sitting by the pool but do like to sit outside whenever possible. Are we really going to struggle to find somewhere to sit? Any suggestions on possible places?

2. What activities are available during the day? We have several sea days?

3. Cany anyone give examples of the meals on offer in the dining room in the evening?

4. I have read opposing facts about taking alcohol on board, so do not know what is the truth. Can we take a wine box on board to drink in our room whilst dressing in the evening? What about a bottle of whisky?

5. How does the tender system work and how long can it take?

6. I read somewhere that people go to the theatre 30 minutes early to get a seat! Is that true and does that mean there are not enough places so if you go later you cannot watch the show as it is full?

Thanks for your help, I have tried to find these answers but without success.

We have cruised before but never on this line so we are trying to work out what we are to expect. Thanks again

Hi, everyone - we will be travelling on the Azura and we have some questions which we hope you will be able to help with.

1. We will be in an ocean view so unfortunately no balcony. We are not bothered about sitting by the pool but do like to sit outside whenever possible. Are we really going to struggle to find somewhere to sit? Any suggestions on possible places? On seas days yes - Books and towels are out by 06.00 hours most days - First come first served - and people spread out their sun loungers, even piling them back up to have a greater space

3. Cany anyone give examples of the meals on offer in the dining room in the evening? - Eat in the Italian every evening

4. I have read opposing facts about taking alcohol on board, so do not know what is the truth. Can we take a wine box on board to drink in our room whilst dressing in the evening? What about a bottle of whisky?

5. How does the tender system work and how long can it take? Getting back from a popular port can take over an hour.

6. I read somewhere that people go to the theatre 30 minutes early to get a seat! Is that true and does that mean there are not enough places so if you go later you cannot watch the show as it is full? - Sometimes they are there 1 hour before - There are not enough seats for popular shows

We have cruised before but never on this line so we are trying to work out what we are to expect. Thanks again

- Do not raise your expectations - Lower them greatly, so you will not be dissapointed

1. We will be in an ocean view so unfortunately no balcony. We are not bothered about sitting by the pool but do like to sit outside whenever possible. Are we really going to struggle to find somewhere to sit? Any suggestions on possible places?

3. Cany anyone give examples of the meals on offer in the dining room in the evening?

6. I read somewhere that people go to the theatre 30 minutes early to get a seat! Is that true and does that mean there are not enough places so if you go later you cannot watch the show as it is full?

Port Royal seems to have a downer on P&O for some unknown reason. I wouldn't take much notice of those comments. Azura is our favourite ship.

1 Getting a sunbed on sea days can be a tiresome exercise, but we have often wandered around decks at 9am and found sunbeds somewhere. Obviously the earlier you get out to find one, the better chance you will have.

2 There will be a full list of activities on sea days, say ice carving, chefs doing their thing, speakers on various subjects, quizzes, etc, etc. Plenty on offer for sure.

3 There are so many great meals served its difficult to answer this one! And there are also the speciality restaurants. Verona turns into an Italian trattoria at no extra charge for most of the meals, served every evening.

4 You will be allowed to take a reasonable amount of alcohol on board for consumption in your cabin.

5 We've never experienced a problem with either getting ashore or back to the ship via tender. Occasionally you may have to wait a little while but don't leave it until the last minute and you'll be fine.

6 It would probably depend on what is showing in the theatre as to how quickly the seats fill up. Usually, if you arrive about 20 minutes before the show is due to start you would still be able to pick where you want to sit and there would still be seats available.

Hope this helps. A bit of common sense is all that is required really. :)

Bluebury, You have not said what the itinerary is, this might help to answer some of your questions.

However P&O does have a very useful Q&A section on its website, if you ask your questions here it will probably provide most of your answers, the attached link addresses your menu question.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/example_menu

Hi, hope this helps:

1. Yes sun loungers are occupied early and it can be difficult to get one. Chairs are available on the promenade deck

2. https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/Sea_days

3. https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/example_menu

4. You can take a wine box and spirits if you wish

5, https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/tender

6. Yes the theatre fills up early especially for popular shows, but there are two performances each evening.

Enjoy your cruise. Sue

If you want to sit around the pools, forget it. People are out at 7am as the stewards put the sunbeds out, and on go the towels. One of these days I'll just throw them all in the nearest pool!

However, you can nearly always get a sunbed on the sun deck 17, or higher up.

Meals: eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR, better food and service, though the pizzas on deck are nice for a quick lunch.

Dinner: do try Sindu and the Glass House; both lovely. Sindhu is Asian with a twist, and the glass house has some great steaks and burgers as well as little tasting plates which are excellent. In the MDR, I could always find something I wanted to eat among the list of starters and mains. Sometimes soup as well, and either dessert or cheese. Mins usually included 3 or 4 meat dishes, at least one fish, a veggie, and a "causal" sort of dish like lasagne. I enjoyed all my meals, but never bothered with the "Snatch and Grab" apart from the first lunch on board. The trattoria at Venezia is good for a change in the evening, but there's always a queue.

Tenders are a problem on Azura because of the sheer number of passengers. There's no way round it; go early if you can.

There's no longer a duty free shop in 2013, but you can buy spirits for consumption in your cabin via your steward, plus mixers, and there's no objection to your bringing aboard a reasonable amount, say a bottle of whisky or gin, maybe a wine box, or a bottle of something bought in port. I think this is one area where P&O still score over their rivals.

Thetheatre is a menace because people WILL go so early! I think they should only open the doors 20 minutes before a show, but people would probabaly just clog up the space outside with a queue. Worse is the show lounge; people run from the bow to the stern after a show to get seats in the lounge, and there aren't enough.

I've been on Azura twice and do like her, but these frustrations have sent me back to Oriana next time where I haven't had problems with sunbeds, theatre seats or queues.

We have cruised on the Azura before. I like the ship, however, on sea days, yes you do struggle to find seats on top deck, however, we prefer to sit on the Promenade deck, you can see the various sealife, do lots of people watching, meet people passing you, nip into the nearest bar to have lunch or a drink when it gets very hot, and they even serve you drinks from here too! Only thing I would say is that you have to move port to starboard depending on where sun is ! We are going with Princess cruises this year again, and I must say on the sea days last November, we found plenty of seats as there were a lot of Japanese aboard AND THEY HATE THE SUN! All the more room for us ! Even so, we found that it was hot so had to get shady seats ! Anyway, that's not all the reason for cruising, it's just fabulous to be able to go on a cruise and meet such nice people.

Port Royal seems to have a downer on P&O for some unknown reason. I wouldn't take much notice of those comments.

No problem - The OP will find our for themselves - One person's likes is another's dislikes.

OP - Please do the very best thing possible when boarding the Azura - Go immediately to the Sanctuary and book it for every day of the cruise - there is a discount for a whole cruise - By doing this, later in the Cruise you will be pleased to have taken notice of my comments. ;) - If not you will be sad.

Bye the bye - One did not say they had a downer on PO - Just gave a honest opinion of our cruise on the Azura.

We have sailed on Azura 6 times. Three times with a balcony and three times in an outside cabin. We are early risers and have never had a problem getting a lounger. Like any ship don expect to get up at 10 am and get a lounger by a pool but at 8am no problem.

Loads depending what you enjoy, films, cards, spa demos, quiz, dance lessons

Wine tasting, cooking demos, ices carving just read your Horizon newspaper for details.

Menus to view on the PO site how can we help you. Great MDR food, fantastic select dining but at a small cost and the Italian diner is also a good alternative along with the themed buffet nights. We do a mixture of everything.

We take wine and spirits on board along with soft drinks. No problem with PO taking alcohol on board.

Depends what time you get up to get your ticket. Obviously there are busy times to get off and back to the ship. We have never had a problem but we are early risers and don't try to get back to the ship at lunch time or just before sailing time.

Yes the theatre does get busy but it fits in with dinner timings. If you go for the 10:30 theatre show you will not have any problems getting a seat. The 8:30 one is very busy and you will need to get there early for the headliners shows.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I didn't have that brilliant weather on my Azura cruise so can't comment on the sunbeds though we did find some when we came back from a trip about 3pm and the weather was quite good.

We really liked the buffet restaurant that turned into a waiter service Italian in the evening. The Glasshouse is good for lunch on a sea day (not so crowded) there is a cover charge but only about £6 per head plus drinks - we thought it was worth it.

We used to get to the theatre about 20 mins before the show and always found a seat. On formal night it was great to sit there and people watch everyone coming in in their lovely outfits :D

On our cruise they actually had 3 showings of the show - 6.30 8.30 and 10.30!

Book the Sanctuary!

You will never have trouble of finding a sunbed (sorry - huge lounger with cushions etc) in the Sanctuary, whatever time you arrive. In addition you will have plenty of personal space, plus the addition of a quiet environment, excellent personal service and refreshments. An oasis of peace and calm away from the noise, rudeness and madness of the Azura sundecks .

Book the Sanctuary!

You will never have trouble of finding a sunbed (sorry - huge lounger with cushions etc) in the Sanctuary, whatever time you arrive. In addition you will have plenty of personal space, plus the addition of a quiet environment, excellent personal service and refreshments. An oasis of peace and calm away from the noise, rudeness and madness of the Azura sundecks .

Which cruise were you on? Sounds like it was Hell. We have never had these problems on Azura. The retreat was very busy when we were on board and unless you queued from 8am you struggled to get a bed in the sun.

Sue

Which cruise were you on? Sounds like it was Hell. We have never had these problems on Azura. The retreat was very busy when we were on board and unless you queued from 8am you struggled to get a bed in the sun.

Sue

It was hell - A Caribbean and Transatlantic -

The insider trick is - When you first embark go directly (and quickly) to the Sanctuary and book there for the whole cruise [there is a discount], also when there you are able to select where you want your bed positioned.

Any beds remaining after those who booked for the whole cruise, are let out on a daily basis. The Q's are for beds on a "Daily Basis". Beds in sun were probably taken by those who booked on embarkation. Just like we all do!

It was hell - A Caribbean and Transatlantic -

The insider trick is - When you first embark go directly (and quickly) to the Sanctuary and book there for the whole cruise [there is a discount], also when there you are able to select where you want your bed positioned.

Any beds remaining after those who booked for the whole cruise, are let out on a daily basis. The Q's are for beds on a "Daily Basis". Beds in sun were probably taken by those who booked on embarkation. Just like we all do!

Thank you everyone for your opinions and suggestions.

PORT ROYAL what sort of price do you think that the sanctuary would be for Southampton to Bermuda 14 night cruise with 8 sea days?

Also anyone that has done that journey in November did you manage to get much time in the sun? I am aware that every year varies but just looking for past experiences.

PORT ROYAL what sort of price do you think that the sanctuary would be for Southampton to Bermuda 14 night cruise with 8 sea days?

Also anyone that has done that journey in November did you manage to get much time in the sun? I am aware that every year varies but just looking for past experiences.

I think you probably mean Southampton t o Barbados. On our TA in March the retreat was £200 for the whole cruise. We had a starboard c deck balcony so decided not to book it this time as we had the sun the whole way back.

I went up there to use the pool and the retreat pax were whining about the queues in the Spa. The pool used to be for the retreat users only but this as now been opened up to all adults. As it is forward the pax up there were wrapped up in their robes as it was a chilly wind crossing the Atlantic. Our balcony was lovely and sheltered from the wind and we got the maximum use from it.

We have done the TA from SH to Barbados. We ad bad weather from SH to Ponta Delgarda then after that glorious sunshine all the way. I really wish we could book this one but holidays at work just won't fit it. David Essex on board as well. Lucky you.

Sue

I the price is $20.00 per day per person - Think last time on Royal Princess think we got a discount of 25% for booking the whole Cruise. Your sunbed (sorry huge lounger - check out the photographs on web) will be there for you every day. The Sanctuary have juices, snacks etc served to Guests. Not forgetting the English afternoon tea every day. Treated like a VIP.

Even on port days we used it before and after being off ship.

Best Value for money!

Done many Transatlantic - The morning of the second day you could sit out in a polo shirt - The following day you could be in the warm Sun - Improves each day after this.

Port Royal, the OP has booked on PO Azura. The sanctuary is on Princess cruises and is run differently than the retreat on Azura. The last time we used the retreat there was no reserving of sun loungers, and no afternoon tea. In fact tea and coffee was not served in the retreat at all.

It may have changed as these facilities are always being updated but you cannot compare the sanctuary to the Retreat unless you have used both very recently.

Sue

Port Royal, the OP has booked on PO Azura. The sanctuary is on Princess cruises and is run differently than the retreat on Azura. The last time we used the retreat there was no reserving of sun loungers, and no afternoon tea. In fact tea and coffee was not served in the retreat at all.

It may have changed as these facilities are always being updated but you cannot compare the sanctuary to the Retreat unless you have used both very recently.

Sue

Point taken - Well made

Most recent on the Royal - 4 weeks

Over a Year for the Azura

Therefore suggest a recent PO Azura Cruiser does post to this thread. Or better still the OP should contact P&O for a 'to date update.'

Thank you for this

Archived