Africa/Safari Photo Tips, Tricks, Ideas, Secrets??!!

TLCOhio

We are just nine days away from when we depart for Cape Town to enjoy South Africa, Mozambique, Victoria Falls and Botswana. First visit to Africa!! Been there? Any tips/insights? Secrets or suggestions?

We will have three different safari days near the coast of South Africa, plus six days of safari activities in the prime delta area of Botswana. That's nine safari days, plus five days in Cape Town and two days at Victoria Falls, etc.

Some have suggested such aspects/warnings for protecting on dust, that the changing of camera lenses while your vehicle is moving can be challenging, having a wide-angle lens ready as some large animals get fairly close to your vehicle, etc. Of course lots of SD cards, back-ups, etc.

What else? Any major surprises for which to prepare?

Will do a full live/blog for this adventure to escape, again, from the cold of the Midwest winters.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 133,814 views for this posting.

Backup batteries and cards are a must

Plastic garbage bags for protecting the equipment when traveling.

Bean bag and or good support in the trucks

I'd take three bodies and three lens to avoid any changes if weight isn't a problem.

14-24 on FX body

24-120 on FX body

200-500 or 200-400F4 on DX body

Backup batteries and cards are a must

Plastic garbage bags for protecting the equipment when traveling.

Bean bag and or good support in the trucks

I'd take three bodies and three lens to avoid any changes if weight isn't a problem.

14-24 on FX body

24-120 on FX body

200-500 or 200-400F4 on DX body

Is there a 200 - 500 DX lens?

Is there a 200 - 500 DX lens?

There is the new 200-500/5.6. It's a full frame lens but of course fully functional on Dx body. Get equivalent field of view of 300-750.

Personally, I like the idea of 3 bodies, but I might mix in primes to keep the weight down and quality up. Dx body with 300/4 + 1.4 converter. Depends how much weight you want to carry.

There is the new 200-500/5.6. It's a full frame lens but of course fully functional on Dx body. Get equivalent field of view of 300-750.

Personally, I like the idea of 3 bodies, but I might mix in primes to keep the weight down and quality up. Dx body with 300/4 + 1.4 converter. Depends how much weight you want to carry.

I'm new to NIKON. I have a 5500 (DX). So new FX lenses can be used on DX camera (500 would be 750). AF is fully functioning?

Thanks!

Edited by kenevenpar

I'm new to NIKON. I have a 5500 (DX). So new FX lenses can be used on DX camera (500 would be 750). AF is fully functioning?

Thanks!

Yes, everything works totally. The only limitations are when you use a dx lens on fx, it doesn't fill the image circle so it crops the photo. Also, the d5500 requires lenses with internal motors. So you can't use some of the older fx lenses that lack internal motors. You need to generally use AF-s and g lenses.

I have not been myself but have spoken to a few that have.

One of the tips I have heard is that a "Bean Bag" is invaluable, but don't take one with you. Only take the empty bag. One person said he got a piece of scrap material about 18" long and 9" wide as well as an 8" zipper. This was sewn up to make a bag about 8" square with a zipper on one side. When in the country buy a bag of rice and seal it into a good plastic bag then put it inside the cloth bag. Use it for the trip and then give the rice to someone when you are about to leave. It's also handy if you happen to get a phone or other item wet. You can put it into the rice to dry out (saved my wife's iPhone on Radiance when it took a dunk that way)

Yes, everything works totally. The only limitations are when you use a dx lens on fx, it doesn't fill the image circle so it crops the photo. Also, the d5500 requires lenses with internal motors. So you can't use some of the older fx lenses that lack internal motors. You need to generally use AF-s and g lenses.

Thanks. Another way to spend kids inheritance! :D

Terry, so excited that you are going on safari! I've been a fan of your photos for several years, so am looking forward to seeing what you come up with on this one!

We were 3 weeks from our safari last year when we had to cancel due to a flareup of my husband's hip pain that ended up requiring a replacement.

From what I learned, depending on your flights within Africa, you will be VERY limited in weight of any carryon (13 pounds!)...almost to the point of not being able to take much at all. I had winnowed my camera equipment down to two cameras, Canon 5D3 and 7D2, with 24-105 on the 5D and 70-300 on the 7D. That would allow me to photo nearby animals as well as more distant. Small tripod. Yes, pillowcase for in the jeeps to guard against dust. You won't be able to use a camera bag easily in the jeeps, and need to be able to hold onto rails, etc. since it's BUMPY and they go fast. Don't want velcro. Also re: bean bag, yes we were going to take a "Grizzly Bag" and fill it on site...but know that if you look at most rigs you'll be venturing out in, there won't be a rail at the right point to use one...we were going to use it more in camp. About that Grizzly Bag...or any bean bag...they are easy to lose overboard and you might not be able to retrieve it...we put an extra old camera leash on it which helps when it slips away from you.

Just lots of assorted info...stream of thought...but I had researched like crazy...perhaps we'll go in '17. (I'm the one recovering now from a knee revision.) Enjoy the trip! Where will you post photos/blog?

Terry, do not change your lens during your rides.

Bring two cameras.

Take lots of photos. More than you think.

Take an travel outlet strip so at night you can charge more than one battery at a time.

It could rain. Just saying.

Keith

Terry, so excited that you are going on safari! I've been a fan of your photos for several years, so am looking forward to seeing what you come up with on this one! We were 3 weeks from our safari last year when we had to cancel due to a flareup of my husband's hip pain that ended up requiring a replacement. I had researched like crazy...perhaps we'll go in '17. (I'm the one recovering now from a knee revision.) Enjoy the trip! Where will you post photos/blog?

Keith1010: Terry' date=' do not change your lens during your rides. [b']Bring two cameras. Take lots of photos.[/b] More than you think. Take an travel outlet strip so at night you can charge more than one battery at a time. It could rain. Just saying. Keith

Appreciate all of these comments and suggestions. Yes, will have both my main Nikon D7100 and older D3100. That will allow more flexibility to adjust to the lenses needed in the various locations, etc. Plus, an underwater camera, if needed. For our first three days of safari "work" in South Africa, it will be just our my wife and me with our guide/driver. That allow more flexibility to adjust our pace and timing to better get what we need, stop when desired, etc. These tips do help to focus on the various items needed, doing re-checks on the various SD cards, making sure they are cleaned out and ready, batteries and chargers pulled together, etc.

For janmcn, glad that you are a "fan"!! Nice to hear your kind comments. Yes, will be doing a live/blog that will be on the Silversea CC Board at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183

Will probably start posting around Jan. 29. Will also try to follow-up on this thread and a few other areas with the exact connection to these visual/text items. Look forward to any and all comments, questions, suggestions, etc.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 35,216 views for these postings.

• 1 month later...
Terry, do not change your lens during your rides. Bring two cameras. Take lots of photos. More than you think. It could rain. Just saying. Keith

Appreciate these earlier comments and tips about preparing for Africa. To update, we are back safely from four weeks in South Africa, Botswana, etc. Very different from the Caribbean and Amazon River that we did a year ago!!

We enjoyed great sights, many safari/animal experiences and wonderful adventure times!! Lots of pictures on my live/blog and this trip detailing can be seen at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now over 10,300 views for this reporting that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Delta area with lions, leopards, cape buffalo, elephants, giraffes, hippos, etc., etc.

On these various tips, I had planned to and did take a second, back-up camera body for my main Nikon D7100 if there were any problems. Yes, that was important as while at Victoria Falls, the misty moisture from that great location was much worse and damaging that I had thought possible. That prime Nikon "died" and needs to get fixed and/or replaced. BUT, I had my older Nikon D3100 along and that allowed me to get lots of good pictures while in Botswana, etc.

In doing these nine days of various safari trips in South Africa and Botswana, the dust challenges were not as big as expected or warned. As our vehicle moved, things were generally fairly bumpy on these mostly dirt roads. The best pictures came as we were parked and in fixed locations. My record day was having 925 pictures taken on just this one South Africa day near Richards Bay when we got up very early before sunrise and had so many great visual opportunities during the day, at a school visit, including lots of hippos late in the afternoon near sunset time. Getting the right lighting and being patient/attention makes a huge difference.

Animal/bird eyes?: This is one of the best "secrets for success" in Africa. When you get their eyes showing, it makes the picture so much more "personal" and interesting.

Clearly taking lots of pictures and doing careful checking/reviewing are vital in the overall process. With smart "fine-tuning" on your lap-top computer, those "fixes" for exposure, definition, cropping, etc., can make a huge difference in taking an only "average" picture to becoming . . . very good or better.

Below I wanted to share six examples as a representative sampling of my "best of the best" pictures from our experiences in Africa. But, however, as I tried to pick my most favorite six pictures, I ended up with with 15 top pix's. I was able to narrow it down to only twelve of these most favorite highlights. First, here are six of these most-liked specials. All of the best, very good, etc., pictures are on the full live/blog. Check it out and let me know any added questions, suggestions, tips, insights, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 195,672 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

For Cape Town where we enjoyed five and a half days prior to our cruise, here is one picture where I needed a little "help" to be "soaring like an eagle"! My secret? It's riding in a helicopter to travel around Cape Town, the nearby mountains, being south of the town, going along the beaches, over the Winelands, etc. Like the view? Table Mountain is clearly so dominate in the way it towers over Cape Town and the nearby areas, including the dramatic clouds rolling over the peaks. Recognize the Cape Town Stadium? Our pilot said it has a nickname down here and they call it the "Giant Toilet Bowl"!! Does kind of have that look!!:

Africa2016PixsC17_zpskp9jy6ua.jpg

When the park is called an “elephant park”, what would you expect there? Yes, elephants!! Here is one sample elephant visual to share from Addo Elephant Park near Port Elizabeth (or PE) along the South Africa Coast. Don’t you just love these baby elephants that are so super cute?:

Africa2016PixsC16_zpsrifjmtgz.jpg

While at Addo Elephant Park near Port Elizabeth, we saw several ostriches, including the adult male and female, both with very different colorations/coats. But, I also managed to get several shots of just of their three “babies”. This one view is a top favorite as the three heads are aligned in a special and very interesting angle. Agree that this one picture is a “super keeper”?:

Africa2016PixsC18_zpsppgigvnd.jpg

Here is a sampling from Hluhluwe–iMfolozi Game Reserve near Richards Bay, South Africa, during our two-day, overnight adventure at this location. First shows a dramatic and wind-blown example of a male Kudu right after sunrise. Second shows two types of monkeys lovingly check each other for mites. The third picture shows what it is like being surrounded by a herd of Cape Buffalo. Is this being close enough to get that "stare"? At this park location, we found out what was so “personal” for being with a large White Rhino and to see this male ring both spraying (peeing) over and over, plus pooping right near us. I will spare showing those details here. This park has been a world leader in saving the White Rhino.:

Africa2016PixsC14_zpspqexjnaz.jpg

Africa2016PixsC15_zpsppqkjkm4.jpg

Africa2016PixsC13_zps0qvz4x58.jpg

Here is the second grouping of my "best of the best" visuals from our just-returned adventures in South Africa, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia, Botswana, etc. Reactions, questions, tips, etc.? Don't be shy! Look forward to any good, helpful sharing!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 137,955 views for this posting.

From South Africa's iSimangaliso Wetland Park near Richards Bay during our two-day, overnight adventure, we saw lots of hippos!! It was late in the afternoon, providing perfect light, as we sailed on a waterway near St. Lucia. Here is one example below for these fast and deadly hippos. They kill the most of all creatures in Africa. More to worry about hippos than lions, etc. This park is home to about 1,200 Nile Crocodiles and almost 800 Hippopotami per Wikipedia, plus lots of birds, etc.:

Africa2016PixsC12%201_zps6mbm1gni.jpg

Here is one example of the dramatic "Wonder of the World" called Victoria Falls. We observed this natural wonder from the Zambia side. Loved the rainbows, noise of the falls, etc.:

Africa2016PixsC11%201_zpsyciy6yio.jpg

Now to Botswana and this amazing region of the famed Okavango Delta that is described by some as "Africa's Last Eden"!! First are a couple of leopards enjoying their time in these open plains of the Delta. It's a mother and her older son. Second are a couple of baboons being "personal" with each other. Third is a red-billed hornbill that is a very different bird than what we would see in the midwestern USA. Fourth shows the eyes and face of this older male lion very "up close and personal"!:

Africa2016PixsC9%201_zpsjoocr5h2.jpg

Africa2016PixsC7%201_zpspkcjsigf.jpg

Africa2016PixsC8%201_zpsjkqjzge4.jpg

Africa2016PixsC10%201_zpsx50ax7kv.jpg

Very nice stuff, Terry! I hope you are enjoying checking off my bucket list! Going to Angkor Wat anytime soon? :) Dave

WOW!! Do you have a spy-cam and/or phone tap on me? I have been looking during the past hour on the web and making phone calls checking various options with Silversea, Crystal and Celebrity for what they offer in early 2018 for Southeast Asia. This would be including overnight excursion costs/details very specifically for doing Angkor Wat.

Are two great minds both running in the same, smart directions?

Have you been to Angkor Wat and/or SE Asia yet? Or, is this for your future to-do, bucket list? Been to South Africa and/or Botswana, yet?

Appreciate your kind comments on the Africa pictures.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 58,085 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226