Tripod or not?

Sorry for the misleading heading.

I have a very nice and stable tripod.

However the more I get into photography, I often find that it would be nice with a tripod with a lateral arm.

Right now I just flip the center post upside down and take macros of flowers etc. that way.

For you who have a tripod with a lateral arm, do you find many situations where is better than flipping the center post?

Edited by The Viking

To clarify.... does your tripod have a BALL HEAD?

Be careful with the camera weight.... it can pull the tripod over.... especially with a DSLR.

Current tripod has a Ball Head and yes, very well aware of weight load on tripod. Thanks for info.

We have a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 (or something like that). The center post can be raised fully, a button depressed, and the post can be leaned over, then slid "back" as desired. Personally, I absolutely hate it. The center column is awful as a result. I've "replaced" it with a RRS TVC-34L - everyone says RRS is overpriced, and I couldn't care less: it does what I want very well.

Full disclaimer though: my wife got it for me as a present, and did so with extremely good intentions. She contacted LensRentals.com and asked what tripod I'd rented a few months earlier for our Alaska cruise. They looked it up and told her the model, but said it's no longer being sold, so here's what we have switched to for our medium kits and people really like it. Because it was a present, and because she isn't ready to give up a tripod with a center column, I've kept it, but I suspect a RRS TVC-24L is in her/our future...

We have a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 (or something like that). The center post can be raised fully, a button depressed, and the post can be leaned over, then slid "back" as desired. Personally, I absolutely hate it. The center column is awful as a result. I've "replaced" it with a RRS TVC-34L - everyone says RRS is overpriced, and I couldn't care less: it does what I want very well.

Full disclaimer though: my wife got it for me as a present, and did so with extremely good intentions. She contacted LensRentals.com and asked what tripod I'd rented a few months earlier for our Alaska cruise. They looked it up and told her the model, but said it's no longer being sold, so here's what we have switched to for our medium kits and people really like it. Because it was a present, and because she isn't ready to give up a tripod with a center column, I've kept it, but I suspect a RRS TVC-24L is in her/our future...

The RRS TVC-34L w/leveling base is my choice and I consider it the best. Light weight, strong, and stable beyond believe. Perfect for a balcony, I normally use a gimbal head on top of it. In rare cases If I know I will need it I'll carry it off the ship on my backpack.

framer