High Tea - Chateau Frontenac (Quebec)

Texas

First, I am interested if anyone has attended the high tea and your comments.

Second, we will boarding our ship around Noon and the tea begins at 2. How long would it take us to get from Pier 30 (across from the Paper Mill) to the hotel? Should we take a taxi or can we hike it to the hotel? Thanks for your feedback

You'll easily make it on time even if you walk - a few minutes by cab or under 30 on foot whether you walk all the way or take the Funicular up. At $42 it's one of the better-priced Fairmont Afternoon Teas (NB: not High Tea, which is an actual meal involving substantial amounts of food for us peon-types) considering the Empress in Victoria charges almost double that. However, it's not remotely traditional except in the sense that there's tea and nibbles - the menu definitely tweaks the expected styles of food, which would be totally fine except for the fact that they serve marmalade with the scones.

Now I'm not going to stab you with my butter knife if you put the cream on before the jam, filthy Devonian habit though it might be; and I'm totally happy for the jam to be made from any red fruit rather than demanding only Strawberry - even blackberry works for me. Jelly rather than jam is also tolerable. But the line must be drawn somewhere - and the place for that line to be drawn is before marmalade, which belongs on toast or bread & butter pudding but nowhere near a scone under any circumstances. There may be just a smidgen of pedantry in this paragraph:D

At that price though, in the renovated room, I'd still risk going - but buy a wee pot of jam on the way in case nobody has slapped Chef upside the head by the time of your visit!

Also note that reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere need some study - during renos in 2013-14 the tea was served elsewhere, in somewhat ad hoc circumstances. Since 2014 it's been in Le Champlain resto, the main one for the hotel, so any reviews mentioning Place Dufferin , Dufferin Terrace, or Cafe de la Terrasse are out of date as to surroundings and logistics.