Open and closed ports

pattymindy

Thank you for posting this. The cruise line is making us wait for more information, and articles like this at least allow us to make an educated speculation on what will happen with our cruise instead of just sitting on our hands impatiently waiting for more information. This pretty much confirms what I was already suspecting - that my December cruise out of San Juan will depart as planned but that the St. Maarten and St. Thomas stops will likely be changed. I haven't the slightest idea what they may change them to. The article says Western Caribbean stops are being substituted on Norwegian, but since we are Southeast Caribbean with 3 other unaffected stops I doubt that will happen in this case. I guess I will have to wait to find out what happens with that.

I am glad this article debunked some of the speculation that San Juan will be closed for "many months" and "into 2018" that I have read on these boards. Disappointed that what I've read about St. Maarten is true though. It was at the top of my wishlist for a visit and it would have been my first time. I hope the people there are able to recover faster than predicted after this tragedy.

Very disappointed to see Grand Turk closed. We don't have any sailings going there until April of next year, but I am disappointed for everyone who was planning to go there in the near future - it's an especially great port of call that I hope everyone gets to visit at some point. Again, I hope the people of Grand Turk can get back on their feet more quickly than predicted.

Thank you for posting this. The cruise line is making us wait for more information, and articles like this at least allow us to make an educated speculation on what will happen with our cruise instead of just sitting on our hands impatiently waiting for more information.

Why does everyone think that they cruise lines "are just not sharing information" ? There is pier damage to be assessed, ship channels to be checked (for sunken debri, the possibility of having to be re-dredged, etc), localized damage/infrastructure to be assessed, and top that with five or six cruise lines trying to reschedule and adjust itineraries. It has to be a logistical nightmare!!

Thank you for posting this. The cruise line is making us wait for more information, and articles like this at least allow us to make an educated speculation on what will happen with our cruise instead of just sitting on our hands impatiently waiting for more information. This pretty much confirms what I was already suspecting - that my December cruise out of San Juan will depart as planned but that the St. Maarten and St. Thomas stops will likely be changed. I haven't the slightest idea what they may change them to. The article says Western Caribbean stops are being substituted on Norwegian, but since we are Southeast Caribbean with 3 other unaffected stops I doubt that will happen in this case. I guess I will have to wait to find out what happens with that.

I am glad this article debunked some of the speculation that San Juan will be closed for "many months" and "into 2018" that I have read on these boards. Disappointed that what I've read about St. Maarten is true though. It was at the top of my wishlist for a visit and it would have been my first time. I hope the people there are able to recover faster than predicted after this tragedy.

Very disappointed to see Grand Turk closed. We don't have any sailings going there until April of next year, but I am disappointed for everyone who was planning to go there in the near future - it's an especially great port of call that I hope everyone gets to visit at some point. Again, I hope the people of Grand Turk can get back on their feet more quickly than predicted.

Your Welcome .

I am sailing out of Boston on November 3, 2017 on the NCL Dawn reposition to San Jun basically our whole itinerary needs to be changed not sure where we will go but would love maybe Bermuda -Aruba Barbados key west . I'm open just as long as I get my flight back home from San Juan it would be so hard to get last minute flights out of Florida as we are only about 40 days out .

Why does everyone think that they cruise lines "are just not sharing information" ? There is pier damage to be assessed, ship channels to be checked (for sunken debri, the possibility of having to be re-dredged, etc), localized damage/infrastructure to be assessed, and top that with five or six cruise lines trying to reschedule and adjust itineraries. It has to be a logistical nightmare!!

the other issue is that the islands fear tourists may stay away

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-storms-moved-on-the-caribbean-islands-fear-the-tourists-might-too/ar-AAso6pJ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp