First let me say how much my husband and I love cruising with Princess. We are excited to see the new ship. One of my husbands favorite things to do is sit on the promenade watch the sea go by and nap. Will there be deck chairs on the promenade? Thanks for taking the time to talk with us here on Cruise Critic.

[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']Since there is no Promenade on the Royal...., however, there should be plenty of spaces available for reading and watching the ocean go by...[/quote]

Don't know where you got the idea that there is no Promenade on the RP. There certainly is, at least according to the deck plans. It simply does not wrap around the bow, as the promenade on the Grand Class.

Stan

[quote name='AZ Stan (FKA Stan in Chicago)']Don't know where you got the idea that there is no Promenade on the RP. There certainly is, at least according to the deck plans. It simply does not wrap around the bow, as the promenade on the Grand Class.

Stan[/QUOTE]

Thanks, this will make my husband very happy!!

This is the Promenade Deck forward of the lifeboats. I honestly cannot see them setting out deck chairs here:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38593290&postcount=3329[/url]

It also appears from various pictures that access behind the lifeboats is none existant for passengers and that it will be a 'crew only' area. But to be 100% sure we'll have to wait a couple of weeks after the first Preview Guests disembark with details.

Here is another picture of that same area shown in the picture linked in the previous post, where you can see people are standing on the left of the picture and that there is a roughly 30 degree downward sloping of the decking heading aft. You can also see the area behind the lifeboats in very, very narrow and why it may be off limits.

Port side of the ship, bow is to the left and amidships area towards the right (the starboard side of the ship is identical)
[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8134/8913045804_9b4d6b4c4a_b.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a picture of the Promenade Deck amidships between the sets of lifeboats. Look at the last lifeboat in the forward set, and see how the davits go far back against the bulkhead:
[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/8729848461_33a1a7c3c3_b.jpg[/IMG]

And here are pictures of the aft end of the Promenade Deck. You can see it does not wrap around the stern. You can also see that the lifeboats again restrict passenger access in the area behind them. Both sides of the aft Promenade Deck are the same.

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8551/8709470270_fa0aaed435_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/8716043523_ac5bc4124e_c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/8757312100_088c1fa7df_b.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='AZ Stan (FKA Stan in Chicago)']Don't know where you got the idea that there is no Promenade on the RP. There certainly is, at least according to the deck plans. It simply does not wrap around the bow, as the promenade on the Grand Class.

Stan[/quote]

Obviously, you have not followed all things Royal or you would know that the Promenade deck is very limited to passengers and will not have deck chairs on it. Before you make a rude comment, please make sure you have the correct information. Thank you.

[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']Obviously, you have not followed all things Royal or you would know that the Promenade deck is very limited to passengers and will not have deck chairs on it. Before you make a rude comment, please make sure you have the correct information. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I will be interested in finding out what those black bars on the Promenade deck map mean. They look like gates that prevent you from going under the lifeboats. Also, do the Emerald balconies really look into a lifeboat. So many unanswered questions. Those on her first few cruises have so much work cut out for them. Please, please, please... I hope they will enlighten us all.

[quote name='cr8tiv1']I will be interested in finding out what those black bars on the Promenade deck map mean. They look like gates that prevent you from going under the lifeboats. Also, do the Emerald balconies really look into a lifeboat. So many unanswered questions. Those on her first few cruises have so much work cut out for them. Please, please, please... I hope they will enlighten us all.[/QUOTE]

Because the lifeboats are mounted much, much lower to the deck you couldn't possibly walk under them anyway. The question then becomes can we walk behind them? And most believe the answer is 'no'. We will find out for sure in 6 days (or less).

And much of the mystery involving the Emerald Deck cabins has been resolved over on the Everything Royal Princess thread a long time ago.

[quote name='dmwnc1959']Because the lifeboats are mounted much, much lower to the deck you couldn't possibly walk under them anyway. The question then becomes can we walk behind them? And most believe the answer is 'no'. We will find out for sure in 6 days (or less).

And much of the mystery involving the Emerald Deck cabins has been resolved over on the Everything Royal Princess thread a long time ago.

.[/QUOTE]

Thank you dmwnc1959 for responding to my inquiry. I started late into Dave's thread and have been over-whelmed by the number of posts. I am sure that somewhere...there are answers for me. I think it is just easier to wait for the new (onboard) posts.

As Dave said, we will have to wait to find out exactly how the public access area of Promenade is set up, but I have a feeling that the space is very limited. I kind of expected it to be like the Grand Class ships, but after seeing the latest photos, I think it will be much less. If so, that will be sad...

I have just been on the fabulous new Royal Princess and there are lovely steamer loungers on the promenade deck for you to enjoy.
The ship has a lovely open and lighter feel to her.
There are ample sun loungers on the sun decks with the new feature of having shaded areas for those , like me , who do not like to lie in the sun.
There is also a child free area called the retreat, which is a good idea, and that is free to use and there is also The Sanctuary, which again is a child free area, with good thick cushioned sun loungers and you can have lunch/ snacks brought to you . There is a charge for using The Sanctuary and I would happily pay for this added luxury.
The Horizon court has a new look to it and has an added area called the Horizon Bistro which has a great feel to it and there were no queues at all .
The food was really top notch and wonderfully presented.
There is really so much to say about the fabulous new baby of the Princess family that you really must cruise on her to appreciate the top quality presentation of everything that she has to offer.

[quote name='Gingernuts']I have just been on the fabulous new Royal Princess and there are lovely steamer loungers on the promenade deck for you to enjoy.
The ship has a lovely open and lighter feel to her.
There are ample sun loungers on the sun decks with the new feature of having shaded areas for those , like me , who do not like to lie in the sun.
There is also a child free area called the retreat, which is a good idea, and that is free to use and there is also The Sanctuary, which again is a child free area, with good thick cushioned sun loungers and you can have lunch/ snacks brought to you . There is a charge for using The Sanctuary and I would happily pay for this added luxury.
The Horizon court has a new look to it and has an added area called the Horizon Bistro which has a great feel to it and there were no queues at all .
The food was really top notch and wonderfully presented.
There is really so much to say about the fabulous new baby of the Princess family that you really must cruise on her to appreciate the top quality presentation of everything that she has to offer.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I've already told my husband, you've made him very happy.

[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']Obviously, you have not followed all things Royal or you would know that the Promenade deck is very limited to passengers and will not have deck chairs on it. Before you make a rude comment, please make sure you have the correct information. Thank you.[/quote]

[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']BettyBoop, after viewing recent photographs, there are some loungers on some portion of the Promenade deck, and also some tables and chairs. It probably won't be like on the Sapphire though, but it will be enjoyable.[/quote]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
Interesting.[/FONT]

Archived