Flight out of Miami after cruise - can we make it?

Iamthesea

We will be taking the Riviera to the Caribbean. I happened to look at our February airline reservations (made ourselves) and found that American has changed the flight/time and did not alert us. :mad:

Our original flight was to leave MIA at 11:26 (cutting it close, but doable). The new flight is scheduled to leave at 9:55! :eek: They is no way, right?

Since this will be our first Oceania cruise, we do not know how long it takes to disembark at the Port of Miami, or if Oceania allows walk-offs with carrying our own luggage.

Has anyone ever made a flight that early?

Edited by Iamthesea

Call the airline & change it to a later flight

You might not get off until after 8:30 am if the immigration Officials are on time & the ship arrives earlier

Edited by LHT28

That's what I was afraid of. The next flight out isn't until 12:55. The biggest thing about that is that the flight does not get into our home airport until almost 8:00 pm. We needed to get home earlier. I'll call tomorrow. Just makes me so mad that we were not told and I happened to see it when setting an alert for a price drop on Yapta (our flight numbers did not exist.) They also changed times for the other flights. We would not have known until I checked us in the night before.

Edited by Iamthesea

Yes airlines seem to do that

Is there another airline with better times ?

maybe AA will refund your money since they changed the flight

I had a nice 3pm flight booked to FLL ..happened to check & they changed it to 8:55 am .... only other flight out was 10:55am... better but not as nice as the 3pm ;)

Delta is twice as much as our original fare. Oh well, we will have to take what we can get. ;)

I don't want to rub salt into your wounds,

-but for others who are reading about your plight, here:

If the Air had been booked through Oceania, the Cruise Line and not you would be biting the bullet on this one.

Food for thought. :D

That's what I was afraid of. The next flight out isn't until 12:55. The biggest thing about that is that the flight does not get into our home airport until almost 8:00 pm. We needed to get home earlier. I'll call tomorrow. Just makes me so mad that we were not told and I happened to see it when setting an alert for a price drop on Yapta (our flight numbers did not exist.) They also changed times for the other flights. We would not have known until I checked us in the night before.

Where is home airport?

If the Air had been booked through Oceania, the Cruise Line and not you would be biting the bullet on this one.

This is NOT necessarily so!! Terms and Conditions clearly state that air arrangements are completely the responsibility of the passenger and Oceania is NOT responsible for any changes once flights are booked.

While some cases of O making changes when the airline changes flight schedules, there are also cases of O either NOT making changes and other cases of O not being able to be contacted or not returning phone calls leaving the passenger to work the problem themselves.

It is horrible and gives passengers a false sense of security to make a blanket definitive statement that the cruise line will take care of you in all cases and pay any upcharge for airline flight changes. Yes, sometimes Oceania is available and will take the lead to change a customers flight at no cost but, it is far from a blanket agreement. Read the T's and C's and see what Oceania is and is not responsible for and then make the decision to book your own flights or use O air!!

And not necessarily a tasty morsel. My booked air the One and ONlY time with O brought us from MIA to BOS via Detroit with a 23 minute connect time. I no longer trust O air

I want to emphasize that we have had multiple experiences with Oceania Air "re-doing" our flights at no cost to us when the times were changed and became un-doable, or even just unpleasant (like a 6 hour layover). At the end of the day, they are in the business of trying to get passengers to and from the ships with a minimum of fuss and unpleasantness. It isn't cost effective or productive for them to fight every cost issue to the death, so they work with their passengers.

We were actually surprised at how accommodating they are about such things, given the fact that buying the Air Deviation in order to pick specific flights is the "for a fee" option.

Come to think of it. even at this late date, the OP might want to opt back IN to the Air Program. It might just save them some money.

Hey, we are all grown-ups and at this point in time very experienced travelers with a realistic grasp of how travel I works...... We make decisions, or should, based on those experiences....... We all know it wise to fly or arrive a day earily and likewise have a day on the end to re-organize. Cutting it close haits risks . Now that the airlines have consolidated air schedules are going to be allover the place.

A note....when the carrier notifies you of a change you have the choice of accepting that change or not. If you accept by checking the accept box on your notification then you have no recourse. If you decline you can rebook without penalty due to the change.... THe choice is up to you.

However, it is also far better to plan in advance for a 12 to 24 hour delayon on both ends of any trip... Don't make plans at home for 24 hours aftera cruise. Don't box yourself in with problems of having to be or do something close by any part of your trip.

We make our own problems in reality and create the anxiety levels that we impose on ourselves... not the ship , the hotel, the airlines or weather...its US!

Come to think of it. even at this late date, the OP might want to opt back IN to the Air Program. It might just save them some money.

I too have had problems with wacky flight times when booking air through the cruiseline. We only consider the Air Program if we have an Open Jaw cruise because the cost is usually less.

OK, I thought that I might have trouble trying to get through to someone at American during the long Thanksgiving weekend. :rolleyes: Instead... I was put right through to a rep that had my flight changed in just a few minutes. The most pleasant experience that I have ever had with a phone rep!

We are booked on the 12:55 PM, which means a little extra time on the ship. :D

Hey, we are all grown-ups and at this point in time very experienced travelers with a realistic grasp of how travel I works...... We make decisions, or should, based on those experiences....... We all know it wise to fly or arrive a day earily and likewise have a day on the end to re-organize. Cutting it close haits risks . Now that the airlines have consolidated air schedules are going to be allover the place.

A note....when the carrier notifies you of a change you have the choice of accepting that change or not. If you accept by checking the accept box on your notification then you have no recourse. If you decline you can rebook without penalty due to the change.... THe choice is up to you.

However, it is also far better to plan in advance for a 12 to 24 hour delayon on both ends of any trip... Don't make plans at home for 24 hours aftera cruise. Don't box yourself in with problems of having to be or do something close by any part of your trip.

We make our own problems in reality and create the anxiety levels that we impose on ourselves... not the ship , the hotel, the airlines or weather...its US!

We always fly out a day or two ahead of a cruise. However, since my husband is not yet retired, he needed to get back to his job the day after our 10 night cruise. Not everyone can stay a night or two after a cruise, though we normally do so when flying overseas. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Glad you got it sorted out

You will not have much extra time on the ship though

Breakfast closes at 8 or 8:30 & you are off by 9-9:30 am at the latest ;)

Hey, that's 3 hours more than where we were before. :D

If we leave at 9:30, that gives us an hour to get off and through immigration. Then another hour to check-in and go through security. Grab a snack and we board the plane shortly thereafter. We will not be in any hurry.

Edited by Iamthesea

Hey, that's 3 hours more than where we were before. :D

If we leave at 9:30, that gives us an hour to get off and through immigration. Then another hour to check-in and go through security. Grab a snack and we board the plane shortly thereafter. We will not be in any hurry.

Should be plenty of time. MIA is pretty close. Max of 30 min.

When we disembarked in Miami 2 years ago it was a big mess with 4 ships and not enough transportation. The cab line was unreal. We were lucky there was a porter who helped us with our bags and he got us on a shared van. The ship was not cleared until 10am.

Two weeks ago we disembarked on another line and it was raining. There were 3 ships in port but we were lucky to have no lines at our terminal.

Was the mess after an Oceania cruise? We have had that happen in Miami after a Celebrity cruise.

We normally have a driver lined up ahead of time.

Where are you flying to? I think we are both on the same cruise. 2/12 Riveria

With your extra time ... Miami airport does have a TSA Precheck Application center where it is easy to walk in and apply. Takes about 10 minutes per person plus any wait time. It's land side in the North terminal right by the American check in lines and I think on the 3rd floor. TSA agents at the PreCheck line know where it is.

Consider it a fast pass for $17/year.

Our two disembarkation experiences from Riviera in Miami the past two late January's have been surprisingly different, although both years we disembarked at 9 am. The first year customs took no time but we had a 45-minute chaotic taxi line. Last year, we had a customs line but a fairly efficient taxi line.

I think February 22 will be a crazy day at the Miami cruise port, and we should consider pre-arranging our transportation to MIA to avoid any problems.

Edited by CintiPam

Our two disembarkation experiences from Riviera in Miami the past two late January's have been surprisingly different, although both years we disembarked at 9 am. The first year customs took no time but we had a 45-minute chaotic taxi line. Last year, we had a customs line but a fairly efficient taxi line.

I think February 22 will be a crazy day at the Miami cruise port, and we should consider pre-arranging our transportation to MIA to avoid any problems.

Sounds like a good idea. We will be getting off also and have a car arranged to take us home. Just a little north for us but we do not want to deal with the taxi line.

Sounds like a good idea. We will be getting off also and have a car arranged to take us home. Just a little north for us but we do not want to deal with the taxi line.

Do you have a recommendation for transportation to the airport that we can arrange in advance? Last year we flew into FLL and had great shuttle van service to the cruise port from FLL but the same company was very very late picking us up for the return trip.

Do you have a recommendation for transportation to the airport that we can arrange in advance? Last year we flew into FLL and had great shuttle van service to the cruise port from FLL but the same company was very very late picking us up for the return trip.

Pam On the cruise we were on with you I used John's car service

he was very prompt he dropped off at different terminals which was great as we shared with a few others from the roll call

Lyn