Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:12 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmoku View Post
I got sea sick on the Mariner and the Allure so I don't think the size matters too much.
Not to minimize anyone's problems or experience, size does matter. For example, On our TA aboard independence, the day we arrived in Southampton, we barely noticed the motion. But later in the day we took a ferry to Cherbourg and a very similar sea state caused the captain of the ferry [a much smaller but still a good sized vessel] to warn the passengers it would be better to stay seated. Indeed it was difficult to walk a straight line due to the motion. Also, watch the relative motion of tenders and the ship when tendering. Size does matter, but -- all ships move.

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4merlurker View Post
I get VERY motion sick IF I don't take anything for it. I start Bonine (meclazine) 3 nights BEFORE the cruise and take it every night before bed on the cruise and then 2-3 nights AFTER the cruise. So far it's worked like a charm. (taking it before bed lets me sleep through the drowsy effects) The only time I was seasick was in the shower the morning after a very windy rough night. Once I got up on deck, had a ginger ale and a lot of deep breaths I was good to go.

I recommend BONINE. I'm going to bring ginger tablets this time around too. Never used them but heard a lot of good things and will use them in addition to the bonine IF I start to feel queasy.

Good Luck!

~Connie
I have never tried Bonine before. The next time I go I will definitely try that.

Old January 31st, 2013, 01:00 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartbda View Post
Monarch of the Seas.....73,937GT
Allure of the Seas.....225,282GT

OP, it helps to book a cabin midship on a lower deck where movement is less likely to be felt.

NowTHIS is a small ships......47,413GT
Sailed on this ship a number of times in rough seas.

That isnt that small of a ship.
This is a small ship (2,300GT) And yes, on the Xpedition you could actually feel the sea.
8/26/02 - Carnival Sensation; 4/23/05- Oosterdam; 4/8/06 -Veendam; 1/1/07- Marco Polo to Antarctica; 5/25/07 - 9 night Explorer OTS; 2/16/08 7 night Summit; 3/09/09 - 14 night Coral Princess Full Panama Canal Transit; 11/29/09 - 7 night Liberty OTS; 11/28/10 - 7 Night Solstice; 05/01/11 - 14 Voyager OTS -TA; 9/25/11 - Serenade OTS; 1/21/12 Oasis; 5/27/12 Xpedition -Galapagos Is.; 9/28/12 Monarch OTS Bahamas; 11/25/12 Allure; 4/21/2013 Mariner - TA; 10/29/13 Royal Princess;5/20/14 Equinox Mediterranean
Upcoming:

Last edited by smoosh21; January 31st, 2013 at 01:01 PM.

Old January 31st, 2013, 02:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slh182 View Post
I have never tried Bonine before. The next time I go I will definitely try that.
Instead of paying the premium price for the "Bonine" brand product, get the generic equivalent (Meclozine). You can find it in the Walmart pharmacy area right next to Bonine on the shelf.

Previous Cruises:
Sep 6, 2014 - Explorer Of The Seas (Port Liberty) - 5 Night Bermuda (Owners Suite, first time in a full suite )
Apr 21, 2014 - Liberty Of The Seas (Port Everglades) - 5 Night Western Caribbean
Mar 30, 2014 - Freedom Of The Seas (Port Canaveral) - 7 Night Western Caribbean
Jan 24, 2014 - Legend Of The Seas (Port Everglades) - 10 Night Eastern Caribbean
Oct 27, 2013 - Explorer Of The Seas (Port Liberty) - 7 Night Bermuda - Our second Halloween cruise...
Mar 16, 2013 - Liberty Of The Seas (Fort Lauderdale) - 5 Night Western Caribbean
Feb 24, 2013 - Freedom Of The Seas (Port Canaveral) - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
Jan 20, 2013 - Freedom Of The Seas (Port Canaveral) - 7 Night Western Caribbean
Oct 28, 2012 - Explorer Of The Seas (Port Liberty) - 7 Night Bermuda ---- The Infamous Hurricane Sandy Cruise - 40 Ft waves and 160 Knot peak winds
Sep 20, 2012 - Enchantment Of The Seas (Baltimore) - 8 Night Canada and New England
May 31, 2012 - Enchantment Of The Seas (Baltimore) - 8 Night Bermuda & Northeast
Apr 30, 2012 - Monarch Of The Seas (Port Canaveral) - 4 Night Bahamas
Jan 23, 2012 - Monarch Of The Seas (Port Canaveral) - 4 Night Bahamas

Last edited by edjny; January 31st, 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Old January 31st, 2013, 04:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjny View Post
Instead of paying the premium price for the "Bonine" brand product, get the generic equivalent (Meclozine). You can find it in the Walmart pharmacy area right next to Bonine on the shelf.
I don't really understand the frequent "premium price" comments on Bonine. It's $5.00 for 16 chewable tablets. If you can drop thousands of bucks on cruise $5.00 shouldn't be that hard to swing.

Old January 31st, 2013, 04:35 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion_Mom View Post
No - because they are not small.

Sure, some are absolutely ENORMOUS. But even the not-largest of all of them is NOT small.

No worries.

But just in case, Guest Services gives out Bonine for free.
This is exactly true- there will be little difference between the motion of Monarch and the motion felt on Liberty. They are both ginormous cruise ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFritz View Post
I've heard some people recently talking about motion on the Oasis and Allure. I'm wondering if their massive profile makes them more susceptible to motion caused by the wind. Perhaps they cut through waves effortlessly, but are pushed around a little more by forces above the waterline. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wondered about this too, Sam, we did several cruises this past year- 90 pax on the choppy Humbolt current in Galapagos, 300 pax on a v shallow drafted ship in the South Pacific, 2000 pax on Jewel in the W Caribbean. But the roughest was Oasis in a stiff wind for 2 nights. It was a little stunning actually, I wonder if your explanation might be the reason? My DH worked at the top of the Pru for several years, on windy days the whole building swayed and the water in the toilets sloshed!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2002049
Jewel (S.Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1951547
Allure (E.Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834584
Paul Gauguin (French Polynesia) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1729992
Galapagos Explorer 2 (Ecuador)photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1702506
Jewel (W. Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1582079
Oasis (E. Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1539995
Twitter
@goseeittravel
Blog:
http://www.goseeittravel.com/travel-blog/

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscott52 View Post
I don't really understand the frequent "premium price" comments on Bonine. It's $5.00 for 16 chewable tablets. If you can drop thousands of bucks on cruise $5.00 shouldn't be that hard to swing.
It is not a question about affording it. I always buy the generic version (if available) of any drug I need. It is a matter of principle. Why would I pay more for a product when I can buy the exact same thing for less?

Previous Cruises:
Sep 6, 2014 - Explorer Of The Seas (Port Liberty) - 5 Night Bermuda (Owners Suite, first time in a full suite )
Apr 21, 2014 - Liberty Of The Seas (Port Everglades) - 5 Night Western Caribbean
Mar 30, 2014 - Freedom Of The Seas (Port Canaveral) - 7 Night Western Caribbean
Jan 24, 2014 - Legend Of The Seas (Port Everglades) - 10 Night Eastern Caribbean
Oct 27, 2013 - Explorer Of The Seas (Port Liberty) - 7 Night Bermuda - Our second Halloween cruise...
Mar 16, 2013 - Liberty Of The Seas (Fort Lauderdale) - 5 Night Western Caribbean
Feb 24, 2013 - Freedom Of The Seas (Port Canaveral) - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
Jan 20, 2013 - Freedom Of The Seas (Port Canaveral) - 7 Night Western Caribbean
Oct 28, 2012 - Explorer Of The Seas (Port Liberty) - 7 Night Bermuda ---- The Infamous Hurricane Sandy Cruise - 40 Ft waves and 160 Knot peak winds
Sep 20, 2012 - Enchantment Of The Seas (Baltimore) - 8 Night Canada and New England
May 31, 2012 - Enchantment Of The Seas (Baltimore) - 8 Night Bermuda & Northeast
Apr 30, 2012 - Monarch Of The Seas (Port Canaveral) - 4 Night Bahamas
Jan 23, 2012 - Monarch Of The Seas (Port Canaveral) - 4 Night Bahamas

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Small vs large ship

We were on the Allure in early December and the ship rocked more than any ship I have been on since 1983 when we had a broken stabilizer. We were on the 10th floor but we felt it as much on the Royal Promenade. We did not get seasick but it required some adjustment walking and we were not really able to use our balcony. That said we loved the ship and are going on Oasis soon.
We ran into a storm forming and the winds combined with the ship speed was equal to 50 mph winds. The Oasis class ships are more prone to rocking because they are rather top heavy and the size catches the wind. As other poster have said a lower cabin in the middle of the ship will minimize the motion. Don't forgo the bigger ships, they're great.

12-24-1983 Carnival Festivale
5-2-1987 Carnival Holiday
1-10-1999 Enchantment of the Seas
2-3-2000 Explorer of the Seas
2-10-2002 Enchantment of the Seas
11-25-2012 Allure of the Seas
6-8-2013 Oasis of the Seas

Old February 1st, 2013, 12:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Super tendency to get motion sick here, and I'm usually a Bonine girl too. But on our last cruise I was brave and tried MotionEaze after hearing great reviews about it.

And I loved it, even more than Bonine! Two drops behind each ear each day and I was good to go. Highly recommended, and you can use it even after symptoms have started to get relief in 3 minutes.

There is an nice aroma when you first put it on that fades quickly (I think from the ingredient of lavender oil maybe) but all natural and absolutely no drowsiness, etc. You can find it at Walmart:

http://www.motioneaze.com/motioneaze...ckness-relief/

Knock on wood that it works on my next cruise too LOL.

Old February 1st, 2013, 06:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHunt View Post
Super tendency to get motion sick here, and I'm usually a Bonine girl too. But on our last cruise I was brave and tried MotionEaze after hearing great reviews about it.

And I loved it, even more than Bonine! Two drops behind each ear each day and I was good to go. Highly recommended, and you can use it even after symptoms have started to get relief in 3 minutes.

There is an nice aroma when you first put it on that fades quickly (I think from the ingredient of lavender oil maybe) but all natural and absolutely no drowsiness, etc. You can find it at Walmart:

http://www.motioneaze.com/motioneaze...ckness-relief/

Knock on wood that it works on my next cruise too LOL.
I'll grab some of that too! Couldn't hurt!

The Atlantis 10/2/14

Carnival Splendor 1/4/2014 "the Cold & Gray Cruise"

RCCL Enchantment 3/18/2013

RCCL Explorer...AGAIN! 10/29/2009
RCCL Explorer 11/1/08
Norwegian DAWN 11/05/2006
RCCL Explorer 11/6/2005

Old February 1st, 2013, 08:14 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Hi everyone,

DH and I are thinking of going on a small ship like the monarch of the seas or the vision of the seas. We have been on the Liberty and the Allure and they both made me sea sick. Do you feel the motion more on the smaller ships, or are they all about the same?

Thanks.
Depends on weather really and your disposition to getting seasick. I've not had any issues on the small ships and in fact the one time my stomach did feel a little off was on the Crown Princess - a large ship. But a little ginger tea and I was as right as rain.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

5 reasons to use Linux
http://brajeshwar.com/2008/choose-li...windows-vista/[/b]

Old February 1st, 2013, 08:51 AM
5,000+ Club

Default motion

stabilizers do not work when the current is not flowing from forward to aft. There is little a ship can do to minimize side to side motion if the waves are coming at the ship from either port or starboard. Additionally, the size can have an impact....the flat sides of a large ship act like a sail when the wind is coming from either port or starboard.

Liberty Nov 13, 2105

RCI Diamond Plus

CELEBRITY ELITE

Last edited by TEXASMUNK; February 1st, 2013 at 08:57 AM.

Old February 1st, 2013, 09:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Here is my 2 cents. We have cruised on Small to Medium so far.

Norwegian Crown-34,242 GT--only cruise we got sick(only one day)
Norwegian Spirit-75,388 GT
Royal Caribbean Enchantment OTS- 80,700

We noticed more movement on the Crown then any other ship. Of course like other posters have stated it depends on the seas, wind and currents.

Next Cruise in May is on the Explorer OTS- 137,308 GT. This is over 4 times "bigger" then our first cruise ship. I think this qualifies as a big ship.

We will still take our Bonine before and during our trip. Like I said I have only been sea sick once and it was very rough weather that day and I sat through a presentation in the theatre in the front of the ship right before it started bothering me. (DW was already down with it) So I am always cautious and take the Bonine.

Happy Cruising
Bermuda-Norwegian Crown 05/2006

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've been playing, and occasionally working, on the water for 50 years. The bottom line is a smaller vessel will move around more in the SAME sea conditions as a larger vessel. Most cruise ships, even the ones we consider smaller, are still large vessels. There's a video out of a 1,000' aircraft carrier stuffing it's bow in a 90' wave. No matter how big a ship is the sea is capable of producing conditions that will throw it around. The correct phrasing of the OPs question is, "Will I be more likely to experience sea sickness on a smaller ship?", and the correct answer is, "yes but..." The deciding factor is going to be the wind and the waves.

I always recommend Bonine to passengers who tell me they get seasick.

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:20 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartbda View Post
Monarch of the Seas.....73,937GT
Allure of the Seas.....225,282GT

OP, it helps to book a cabin midship on a lower deck where movement is less likely to be felt.

NowTHIS is a small ships......47,413GT
Sailed on this ship a number of times in rough seas.

LOL, that's not a small ship. It's all relative.

My latest cruises were on, respectively, the Swan Hellenic Minerva (12,449 tons):

And the Aegean Odyssey, run by Voyages to Antiquity (11,906 tons)!

Last edited by cruisemom42; February 1st, 2013 at 10:24 AM.

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:52 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Hi everyone,

DH and I are thinking of going on a small ship like the monarch of the seas or the vision of the seas. We have been on the Liberty and the Allure and they both made me sea sick. Do you feel the motion more on the smaller ships, or are they all about the same?

Thanks.
If you have been sea sick on Liberty and Allure, I suspect you will experience a similar situation on the Monarch, not because of the size of the ship but because your body seems to be especially prone to motion sickness. All of the ships from Monarch to Allure have stabilizers that will minimize motion but in high seas, you will feel some motion regardless of the size of the ship. Monarch is considered a "small ship" only when compared to such megaliners such as Radiance, Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships. Compared to some of the ships that we first sailed on a few decades ago, Monarch would be considered quite large. Were the seas exceptionally rough when you were on Liberty and Allure. If so, you might not have a problem on Monarch in smooth seas, but if I were you, I would investigate some of the motion sickness preventative measures and begin them before you board the ship.