Hawaii Book?

lovebears

Is there one must have book to buy and have along on Hawaiian trip? We will be renting cars on Maui, Hnnolulu, Kauai, Kona. Because we are flying dont want to bring a stack of books, but looking for one that will be helpful and include each port. Thanks so much!

For short trips, I like the Frommer's Day by Day Guide books as they are usually compact, have enough info without it being too much for a short trip, and include great maps. I haven't used the one that covers all islands, so I'm not sure how compact it is - but you might want to have a look at it at your local bookstore.

Edited by Susan-M

I bought a book called Hawaii by Cruise Ship at Barnes & Noble. The good thing about it is that it gives info about the ports and port areas and whether things are within walking distance. I read it from cover to cover and learned a lot. Lots of good info here, as well. If I couldn't find it in the book I searched for it here.:)

I bought a book called Hawaii by Cruise Ship at Barnes & Noble. The good thing about it is that it gives info about the ports and port areas and whether things are within walking distance. I read it from cover to cover and learned a lot. Lots of good info here, as well. If I couldn't find it in the book I searched for it here.:)

I think you may be referring to Ann Vipond books Touring by cruise ship.

I think there great and have used them all there a nice size book to carry have all high glossed pages, fold out maps etc.

I like her because she talks about all ports and their highlights and does it with non favoritism for any particular line.

Here is a link http://www.oceancruiseguides.com/guides

You can buy on Ebay Amazon or your local B&N

I think you may be referring to Ann Vipond books Touring by cruise ship.

I think there great and have used them all there a nice size book to carry have all high glossed pages, fold out maps etc.

I like her because she talks about all ports and their highlights and does it with non favoritism for any particular line.

Here is a link http://www.oceancruiseguides.com/guides

You can buy on Ebay Amazon or your local B&N

There is a 3rd addition of the Ann Vipond book coming out soon. I preordered it on Amazon. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Good for you for wanting to learn more about Hawaii before you go. We lived in Hawaii for 18 years. Once you know more about the culture and the importance of things you're seeing then you'll have a significantly greater understanding and enjoyment.

There is one book that is far better than all the others in this regard. It's Hawaii (Insight Guide). You can get used copies on Amazon for $4 delivered, or new for less than $20.

Good for you for wanting to learn more about Hawaii before you go. We lived in Hawaii for 18 years. Once you know more about the culture and the importance of things you're seeing then you'll have a significantly greater understanding and enjoyment.

There is one book that is far better than all the others in this regard. It's Hawaii (Insight Guide). You can get used copies on Amazon for $4 delivered, or new for less than $20.

I couldn't agree more about learning about the Hawaiian culture. I always take guests to the Iolani Palace for a tour. Not only is it a beautiful structure but gives an incredible insight into the history of the islands. Cherie

I preordered the hawaii by cruise ship. And for $4 i got this one too.

While Iolani Palace is a beatiful place, I found the Bishop House & Museum to actually learn and reflect on the history of Oahu much better.

We had a rental car and arrived to find the place covered with children. The ticket clerk even asked if we were sure we wanted to go in, as it was Children's Day. There were tents with activities for kids and food for kids on the lawns outside. With school buses full of children arriving all the time.

Because we were Seniors, we got quite a nice discount, getting in for the price of the Children. IT WAS AWESOME! And something I hadn't seen or heard of in my previous 4 trips to the Island.

Hawaii has a very full and interesting history. Enjoy!

I have found the Hawai'i Revealed books to be the most helpful. Unfortunatley, there is a separate book for each island. They are available though as Apple or Android apps.

I felt the revealed book was more geared towards land-based travelers. There was a TON of information, for instance, on weather patterns in Maui. As a cruiser, I find myself going back to the Hawaii by Cruise Ship over and over. LOVE this book.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

CruiseLife...

Great observation. The key to "Hawaii Revealed" is in it's historical detail that puts what you're seeing and experiencing into prospective.

I agree that "Hawaii by Cruise Ship" would make a good companion book for anyone visiting the islands via cruise ship. Amazon is taking preorders on the latest 2014 edition of "Hawaii by Cruise Ship" and beginning to discount the 2011 edition.