Valley Church Beach - what's it got?

John&John

• 2 weeks later...

We were at this beach in Nov and LOVED it!! We were going to Jolly beach and Joseph our taxi driver talked us out of it (too touristly, crowded and expensive) and took us here instead.

We drive down a dirt road and I am thinking..."hmmmmmm not so great" then I see ocean.WOW." We get out and I started squealing like a schoolgirl!

This place is incredible! Postcard perfect. Long lovely beach and a open air restaurant with full bar. Elvis is the man who owns and operates the restaurant and owns the land. There are very basic rustic but clean restrooms a short walk away from restaurant along wiht an open air shower for rinsing off salt water.

We rented beach chairs for a few dollars each, it is put on our tab.

WOW does not begin to cover it, we had this lovely beach all to ourselves for a few hours.

Swimming was great lots of shells and such. We had a great lunch of salad, curried chicken (best we have ever had) and garlic bread along with two beer, one very strong rum punch (get Elvis to put a lot of juice in it as it is very strong, I was tipsy after a few sips) and a coke. Lunch, drinks, chairs cost us abotu $40 US which was an amazing deal for all we got :)

We arrived early at about 10 and about 1 PM more people started to arrive including people off CB, gotta love those blue and white striped towels that scream Princess cruises.

We met some nice people staying over at Cocobay Resorts who stopped for a beer while walking over to Jolly Beach. If you click on the link and go look at the pictures then you should be able to see some of Valley Church Beach.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147242-d209594-Reviews-Cocobay_Resort-Antigua_Antigua_and_Barbuda.html

Sorry about the huge post, I was just trying to include as much info as I could. This day was one of the best days in what was the best vacation of our life :)

We were at this beach in Nov and LOVED it!! We were going to Jolly beach and Joseph our taxi driver talked us out of it (too touristly, crowded and expensive) and took us here instead.

We drive down a dirt road and I am thinking..."hmmmmmm not so great" then I see ocean.WOW." We get out and I started squealing like a schoolgirl!

This place is incredible! Postcard perfect. Long lovely beach and a open air restaurant with full bar. Elvis is the man who owns and operates the restaurant and owns the land. There are very basic rustic but clean restrooms a short walk away from restaurant along wiht an open air shower for rinsing off salt water.

WOW does not begin to cover it, we had this lovely beach all to ourselves for a few hours.

Swimming was great lots of shells and such. We had a great lunch of salad, curried chicken (best we have ever had) and garlic bread along with two beer, one very strong rum punch (get Elvis to put a lot of juice in it as it is very strong, I was tipsy after a few sips) and a coke. Lunch, drinks, chairs cost us abotu $40 US which was an amazing deal for all we got :)

We arrived early at about 10 and about 1 PM more people started to arrive including people off CB, gotta love those blue and white striped towels that scream Princess cruises.

We met some nice people staying over at Cocobay Resorts who stopped for a beer while walking over to Jolly Beach. If you click on the link and go look at the pictures then you should be able to see some of Valley Church Beach.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147242-d209594-Reviews-Cocobay_Resort-Antigua_Antigua_and_Barbuda.html

Sorry about the huge post, I was just trying to include as much info as I could. This day was one of the best days in what was the best vacation of our life :)

Thank you so much. I have been to many of Antigua's wonderful beaches and this one will be at the top of my list for my next visit.

Karysa

[qDIDuote=quincytoo;17313614]We were at this beach in Nov and LOVED it!! We were going to Jolly beach and Joseph our taxi driver talked us out of it (too touristly, crowded and expensive) and took us here instead.

:cool: ANY TROUBLE GETTING A TAXI BACK TO THE SHIP??????:cool:

No trouble at all :)

Joseph our taxi driver quoted us around $40 roundtrip for the two of us ($20 each) AND he took payment WHEN we got back to the ship!!!!!!!!!

We asked to be picked up at 3 and he was running a few minutes late due to traffic so he actually phoned the restuarant to let us know this :)

Again one of the best days of the best ever holidays :)

Joseph our taxi driver quoted us around $40 roundtrip for the two of us ($20 each) AND he took payment WHEN we got back to the ship!!!!!!!!!

We asked to be picked up at 3 and he was running a few minutes late due to traffic so he actually phoned the restuarant to let us know this :)

:cool:THANKS FOR THE INFO:cool:

what's the name of the restuarant/bar? I was thinking about Jolly beach too but you've sparked my interest in this little Gem.

what's the name of the restuarant/bar? I was thinking about Jolly beach too but you've sparked my interest in this little Gem.

There was only the one restaurant/bar on that whole beach and the owner's name was Elvis but I didn't catch the name.

Restaurant was an open aired with about six tables towards one side it has a wrap around bar that you can seat at. The kitchen is off to one side. It is very very clean, simple and rustic. We loved it. Menu had seafood, salads, curries and I think burgers??

Bathrooms were very rustic but also clean and you had to walk up a very small path to get to them.

I'm hoping to find a beach with soft, white sand, with no surf and easy access in and out (no sudden drop-off). Does this describe Valley Church Beach? If not, does anyone know of such a beach? Thanks so much!

Those were exactly the conditions the day we were there :)

• 4 weeks later...

quincytoo....

Not many have heard of this beach.I am so glad you posted about it.I read about it recently and was looking for information.

About how far is it from the cruise ships????

What kind of drinks do they have?

Were prices fair?

I am having such a hard time deciding between valley and darkwood and turners---oh my my my

How did you find Joseph the taxie driver? [

quote=quincytoo;17360160]No trouble at all :)

• 4 weeks later...

Out of curiosity - can you take the bus to Valley Church as you can to Darkwood?

The appeal of $3.00 round trip bus fare vs. $60 taxi fare for 2 people is pretty enticing - makes us want to go to to Darkwood - but can you get to Valley Church that way too?

Thanks in advance!

Valley Church is on the way to Darkwod. just take the same #22 bus. I think it's less than 5min apart. You won't see the beach from the road, but it'a just a couple of minutes away from where the bus drops you off.

don't walk from darkwood beach to valley church beach, I did it a few days ago...it's not that fun of a walk on the road. When you get on the #22 bus in St John's just ask the bus driver to let you off at valley church beach.