Antiqua - was there about two weeks ago

beshears

Going to Antigua for first time in June, what did you do when you were there? I hear the beaches are beautiful & we are considering Valley Church Beach or going to Shirley Heights & then Galleon Beach. Any details you can give on these or anywhere else is appreciated! Thanks

As you can imagine, there are a LOT of cab drivers, etc., wanting your business. We kept walking a little bit out of the terminal, just acting like we KNEW what we were going to do, although we didn't. One of the cabbies came up to us, and ask us where we wanted to go. I told him I wanted to go to Valley Church Beach, and maybe do a little touring too. He said OK, and I ASK him how much. He said for a 2 hour tour, $125. I told him I didn't think so. He then came down to $50, and we started to walk away, and then went down to $20, which we settle on. Of course, they are out to make money, so he ask us if we would (we were not in any hurry) mind waiting a few minutes to see if he could get someone else to go along. We waited about 20 - 30 minutes, and a young couple wound up with us. The tour he took us on was very good seeing Antiqua, and then as the young couple wanted to go to the same beach, he took us there, and then told us what time he would pick us up, which he did. It was well worth the $20, we paid.

He took us back to the terminal, and as you can guess, there are many vendors real close to the ship, if you still want to buy something before leaving the dock.

Valley Church Beach is very nice, and has restrooms/food close by.

• 1 month later...
As you can imagine, there are a LOT of cab drivers, etc., wanting your business. We kept walking a little bit out of the terminal, just acting like we KNEW what we were going to do, although we didn't. One of the cabbies came up to us, and ask us where we wanted to go. I told him I wanted to go to Valley Church Beach, and maybe do a little touring too. He said OK, and I ASK him how much. He said for a 2 hour tour, $125. I told him I didn't think so. He then came down to $50, and we started to walk away, and then went down to $20, which we settle on. Of course, they are out to make money, so he ask us if we would (we were not in any hurry) mind waiting a few minutes to see if he could get someone else to go along. We waited about 20 - 30 minutes, and a young couple wound up with us. The tour he took us on was very good seeing Antiqua, and then as the young couple wanted to go to the same beach, he took us there, and then told us what time he would pick us up, which he did. It was well worth the $20, we paid.

He took us back to the terminal, and as you can guess, there are many vendors real close to the ship, if you still want to buy something before leaving the dock.

Valley Church Beach is very nice, and has restrooms/food close by.

Was that $20 per person or for both of you? How many can the taxi's take? We will have 5 or 6 people in our group.

CrusinDeb, yes it was $20 pp. I believe his cab would have held 6 with no problem. As I said, there are so many people "wanting" your business, so you have to speak up. First thing, ASK what the price is for where you want to go, etc.? Then if you think (within reason) it is too high, say so. He started out pretty high with price when he approached us, but kept coming down. As for the other couple, I have no clue what they paid. For what we paid, it was worth every penny. No charge to use Valley Church Beach as well.

I would say, just check prices before you get into the vehicle, and have in mind, as well, before you talk with the driver what you want to see/do.

CrusinDeb, yes it was $20 pp. I believe his cab would have held 6 with no problem. As I said, there are so many people "wanting" your business, so you have to speak up. First thing, ASK what the price is for where you want to go, etc.? Then if you think (within reason) it is too high, say so. He started out pretty high with price when he approached us, but kept coming down. As for the other couple, I have no clue what they paid. For what we paid, it was worth every penny. No charge to use Valley Church Beach as well.

I would say, just check prices before you get into the vehicle, and have in mind, as well, before you talk with the driver what you want to see/do.

Thanks beshears. This is very helpful information.