Getaway dining questions

tiggerkaj

I'm looking for input from those who have experienced the dinner options on NCL since we have never sailed NCL before.

I made reservations on Getaway for one night at a specialty restaurant however I was unsure if I should make reservations for the complimentary places the other nights. We would probably go to dinner by 6:30 so are reservations necessary?

Does Savor, Taste & Tropicana have the same dinner menu? (I know they change it nightly but on Monday night, for example, can you order from the same menu at any of these 3 restaurants?

Thanks for any input on this!

Savor, Taste and Tropicana have identical menus. Making reservations on a ship this large with so many passengers is MUST if you want to dine at whatever time you want to dine. Otherwise, you risk disappointment. Many of the specialty restaurants were sold out every night on our sailing. BTW, the specialties are well worth the extra money. I'm sure Savor, Taste and Tropicana are good, too. It is also important to reserve your shows in advance and go to the theater early.

In the main dining rooms you don't need reservations at all. On our sailing we never made any reservations and we ate in main dining rooms 5/7 nights and walked in each time with no wait. However if you know you want to eat at a specific time each night then go ahead. We love Tropicana room. I felt the service was better there than the other two. But the others are much more quite if you are looking for that type of experience. The menu is the same in all 3 so if one has a wait go to another?? It's really not that difficult as they are all a few minutes walk from each other. Enjoy! Don't forget to try the chocolate lava cake.

We ate three nights in the Main Dining Rooms...Tropicana being our favorite. We just walked up and the longest wait we had was about 3-4 minutes. We generally ate between 7:00-7:30. Enjoy!

In the main dining rooms you don't need reservations at all.

+1

We didn't even have reservations on most nights we ate in speciality restaurants (we had promo UDP and usually decided on the day before dinner what we want to eat) and only once had we go to a different restaurant because of the long wait in the one we craved to eat in originally that night and we were too hungry at that point.

Thank you all so much for your quick replies! One less thing for me to worry about...lol.

I've reserved specialty and shows and I'm sure once we get our daily's we can somewhat determine when we will go to dinner each night. Looking forward to a different experience.

Thanks again!

i would recommend reserving your shows when you get on the cruise. The comedy shows "sold out" quickly. So did the magic show. Go about 30 minutes early to the atrium if you want to sit in a chair for the more popular shows. (we laughed until we cried on the the dancing with the stars show and the Perfect couiple, Perfect couple was absolutely hysterical!!)

As stated the food is identical in all 3 DR. Tropacania is much much larger and I think that is why they can handle the sitting. We liked the smaller dining rooms better, they are much more quiet and we had good service. It was a pretty consistent 1 hour, 45 min for appetizers, dinner, dessert for a table of 5. We ate breakfast on the last day and we were done in about 45 minutes.

i would recommend reserving your shows when you get on the cruise. The comedy shows "sold out" quickly. So did the magic show. Go about 30 minutes early to the atrium if you want to sit in a chair for the more popular shows. (we laughed until we cried on the the dancing with the stars show and the Perfect couiple, Perfect couple was absolutely hysterical!!)

As stated the food is identical in all 3 DR. Tropacania is much much larger and I think that is why they can handle the sitting. We liked the smaller dining rooms better, they are much more quiet and we had good service. It was a pretty consistent 1 hour, 45 min for appetizers, dinner, dessert for a table of 5. We ate breakfast on the last day and we were done in about 45 minutes.

Thanks for mentioning the comedy shows. They are not listed under the shows section on their website so I thought those were first come first serve type shows since it's not showing I can reserve them beforehand. I'll definitely check that out.

do they offer more than 1 comedy show???? or are they the same show throughout the cruise????

if different ones, how do you know what ones are different so as not to sign up for the same show???

Marsha

do they offer more than 1 comedy show???? or are they the same show throughout the cruise????

if different ones, how do you know what ones are different so as not to sign up for the same show???

Marsha

Looking at the daily's that someone posted from a review back in January, 6 of the 7 nights they have the comedy shows with some nights having 2 shows (one being family friendly, one adult only). Some are marked Levity Comedy with Landry and some are marked Levity Comedy with Andrew. I would hope that if there is 2 comedians onboard that they would have some different shows but maybe someone else can answer that who has been.

We only made reservations for maderno and the rest of the nights we ate at Tropicana. Our only disappointing night was maderno. We had a wonderful experience in the main dinning room!

So what was wrong with Moderno? We loved it on the Epic in March and we're boarding the Getaway on Saturday. In fact, I reserved two nights at Moderno. Should I change? Is there a problem?

We just got off the Getaway a few days ago. We ate 3 times at Specialties (Le Bistro, Cagney's and Modernos.) Other nights were at Tropicana and Taste.

We did not make reservations in advance, but as soon as we were onboard we booked times for our 3 specialty restaurants. Most difficult to book was Cagneys, but we found good times for all 3. We ended up going to Le Bistro that very first night and got a good time.

For the MDRs, we never had a problem walking in. Longest wait was about 5 minutes. Watch the dailies to see when Burn the Floor will be in the Tropicana, then get there early to get a good table to view this amazing group. (They also have a performance in the Theater that you can book prior to cruise)

Watch the dailies to see when Burn the Floor will be in the Tropicana, then get there early to get a good table to view this amazing group. (They also have a performance in the Theater that you can book prior to cruise)

Thanks. I have reserved the show for Burn the Floor...can't wait! I'll also check the dailies as suggested.