Hats - what kind do you prefer?

cpygrl

Hi,

I'm shopping for a new hat to wear on my cruise in a couple of weeks. I always have trouble finding a hat that doesn't make me look older than I am, but still protects my English/Irish skin from the darn sun. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Those are both cute! (and I love the dress, brooklynfc!)

Thanks, I forgot to put that mine came from good 'ol Wally World for about $7.00. But I also looked at places like TJmax and Rosses etc. and they had these hats that actually said they were UVA/UVB ray sealed and protected, so the sun can't get through, but they were like $20. I didn't want to spend that much on a hat I would probably only wear on a cruise.

I wear one like that too, but it's plain. I jazz it up with a huge artificial flower (I've a collection of them to tone with various outfits) that I push through the brim and the crown to kind of hoick up one corner. That way I can still see!

had been wearing a visor and then another full hat that i really hated the shape...i just got this (pic attached) it has a bendable brim and can be

worn a variety of ways and packs flat-already in my carry-on.

..i think its what i been looking for--might even put cord//tie/strap or something so it doesnt blow off

almost lost my hat that i dont really like (should have let it blow away....lol in Costa Maya last cruise.

Here is my hat, I don't think I paid this much for it as I've had it for probably 5 - 8 years.

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=415&fromNewSearch=true&mercadoResultId=9

Cute hat, I've got one like that in a little lighter color, usually I get hats a target or tj maxx, I live in S. Ca too, & drive a convertible, so I wear hats pretty much every day.

trying to post a picture of my favorite hat:

me w/peacock

I don't know what my problem is with posting pictures, sometimes it works no problem, sometimes I just end up posting an odd link?? anyhow this my $9.99 favorite hat, I've rolled squished it, gotten it a little wet & it still works. I have the Tilley's catalog, & I'm always tempted to get one of their travel-hats, but they cost so much, I might just spring for one before our next big trip though.

trying to post a picture of my favorite hat:

me w/peacock

I don't know what my problem is with posting pictures, sometimes it works no problem, sometimes I just end up posting an odd link?? anyhow this my $9.99 favorite hat, I've rolled squished it, gotten it a little wet & it still works. I have the Tilley's catalog, & I'm always tempted to get one of their travel-hats, but they cost so much, I might just spring for one before our next big trip though.

Cute hat and I like the shoes too. The trick to getting the pictures to post is to get the properties of the image, which includes either jpg, or gif as the file extension.

4691792968_fd75186b28.jpg

Then use the mountain/sun button to post. HTH

I thought I'd add my question here for the hat experts!!

I'm taking a cruise (actually 2 cruises) to some very hot desert regions this fall -- Israel, Lebanon, Syria, southern Turkey.

I'm not a hat person at all. Have never had one that I think looks good on me. I went to Egypt on a land trip for two weeks and never wore the hat I'd taken even once. But for some reason, I'm just thinking I need a hat for this trip. There will be a lot of visiting of ruins in the hot, sandy, desert. If nothing else, the glare will be killer.

Since I already know hats don't do anything for me, I'm really thinking about function more than fashion, although I hate to give up the idea that I can have both! So far the best options seem to me to be the light-weight floppy-brim canvas hats:

_lm061003-liberty-mountain-big-brim-boonie-lg-big-brim-boonie-hat-1.jpg

Or a safari-type hat:

_lm061003-dr-shade-dr-shade-outback-hat-lg-dr-shade-outback-hat-1.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on these -- or any suggestions to offer? A more fashionable choice would be welcomed. My travel clothes for both trips are mainly black, white, and tan (khaki). I'm trying to stay away from a black hat, as that will only feel hotter with the sun beating down.

If I just want to cut glare, I use a visor. I prefer the ones that don't go all around my head, like the No-headache brand:

http://noheadachevisors.com/

And I also have a Helen Kaminski visor and it's more comfortable than the No-headache brand, mine is pretty much like this one, I've had it for probably 5 years now:

http://www.bonnetstore.com/2009-Helen-Kaminski-Christine-Raffia-Braid-Vi-p/christine.htm

If I just want to cut glare, I use a visor. I prefer the ones that don't go all around my head, like the No-headache brand:

http://noheadachevisors.com/

And I also have a Helen Kaminski visor and it's more comfortable than the No-headache brand, mine is pretty much like this one, I've had it for probably 5 years now:

http://www.bonnetstore.com/2009-Helen-Kaminski-Christine-Raffia-Braid-Vi-p/christine.htm

wow, thanks. I never considered a visor, but that might be just the thing. I particularly like the Helen Kaminski one. Again, thanks!

Archived