London-Shannon flight options

prish

We plan on spending a week in Ireland after our BI cruise this June, first in Galway and and then Dublin, from where we fly back home. Our cruise is Southampton RT and I was considering taking Flybe SOU-DUB, but the 11am flight isn't available for our date and the next flight gets us into Dublin past 4pm. IMO this is rather late for our original plan of renting a car and driving to Galway.

So now I guess we fly to Shannon from one of the London airports, rent our car and drive to Galway. I did a preliminary search which shows Air Lingus out of LHR and Ryanair out of Stanstead, what would be the other options? The search also threw up Cork in the mix, how convenient or otherwise is this distance wise? Look forward to your suggestions and comments, thanks:)

I think that means you are looking for a flight on Sunday 18th June. There is an Aer Lingus flight at 1230 from Southampton to Cork (currently £62). Cork is about 60 miles south of Shannon, which is itself about 60 miles south of Galway, so you would have a 120+ mile drive from Cork. I f that doesn't suit, you might think about stopping in Southampton for a day and night and getting your preferred flight the next day (if its available). You could easily visit Salisbury and Stonehenge, or Portsmouth, or Winchester as a day trip and then get a cab to the airport next day (about £20). If i've got your date wrong, I'll have to think again!!:confused:

Simon

I think that means you are looking for a flight on Sunday 18th June. There is an Aer Lingus flight at 1230 from Southampton to Cork (currently £62). Cork is about 60 miles south of Shannon, which is itself about 60 miles south of Galway, so you would have a 120+ mile drive from Cork. I f that doesn't suit, you might think about stopping in Southampton for a day and night and getting your preferred flight the next day (if its available). You could easily visit Salisbury and Stonehenge, or Portsmouth, or Winchester as a day trip and then get a cab to the airport next day (about £20). If i've got your date wrong, I'll have to think again!!:confused:

Simon

Cork to Shannon is about 80 miles and you should allow around 2 hours for that element of the drive. Factor in the time collecting your hire car and a further 90 minutes for Shannon to Galway.

Also note that the Southampton - Cork flight is Aer Lingus Regional, a turbo-prop plane, with smaller carry-on size (rigidly enforced).

Simon

Thanks Simon! This is why I love these boards, I didn't even think of looking at other flights out of Southampton, talk of tunnel vision:D

Aer Lingus to Cork sounds ideal, even if it means we have to drive a longer distance, still better than the trek to LHR and a later flight. Will talk with the others and book our tickets asap. Guess I should also pre-pay our bags while booking, need to check about this too. We're doing Stonehenge/Salisbury pre-cruise and do want to get to Galway by the evening of June 18.

Any suggestions for a car hire company in Cork? Was looking at Budget in Shannon since they have a depot in Dublin city center where we could drop off the car. And a taxi service in Southampton?

Thanks again, really appreciate your help:)

prish, it is not necessary to pre-book the bags at the time of booking the flights. You can book the bags up to 2 hours before the flight. Baggage costs are approx.: 20 kg bag is €35 one way, 25 kg bag is €45 one way and 2 x 20 kg bags is €70 one way. (as your flight originates in UK the prices will be in £ sterling and not euro).

Here is a link to the car hire companies that are at Cork Airport:

http://www.corkairport.com/to-from-the-airport/book-a-hire-car

prish, it is not necessary to pre-book the bags at the time of booking the flights. You can book the bags up to 2 hours before the flight. Baggage costs are approx.: 20 kg bag is €35 one way, 25 kg bag is €45 one way and 2 x 20 kg bags is €70 one way. (as your flight originates in UK the prices will be in £ sterling and not euro).

Here is a link to the car hire companies that are at Cork Airport:

http://www.corkairport.com/to-from-the-airport/book-a-hire-car

Thanks VMax, with some other low cost airlines you have to pre-book bags, which is why I asked. Thanks also for the link to car hire companies at Cork airport, will look into this over the week.:)

I hoped VMax would help out with the car hire place. As to a car service in Southampton, you can book if you want (http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html & http://westquaycars.com/ are both well used by CCer's), but if you are doing a straight trip to the airport, it will probably be as easy to get a cab off the rank outside the terminal. Price should be £20-25.

Simon