One week in Amsterdam pre-cruise too much?

Hello all,

We need help in deciding should we stay the whole week in Amsterdam or split half Amsterdam and half Rotterdam since our HAL cruise will be departing from Rotterdam on May 13th? Also, where to stay that are close to the center of everything with public transportation? We are looking at hotel price range from $200 to 300 and how do you get to the Rotterdam cruise port if we stay in Amsterdam?

Thanks.

Tony

Well, I haven't done this yet, but we are cruising out of Amsterdam in July 2017. We are staying at the Movenpick hotel in Amsterdam for two nights pre cruise and 1 night post cruise. It's in your price range, provided you book yourself and not through HAL (prices through HAL were double from what I could see). Movenpick was highly recommended on tripadvisor, FWIW. It's also right by the port and near Central Station.

It seems like there is a lot to see in Amsterdam; I am wishing I had more time there, but if I had a whole week like you I would probably split my time between the two cities.

Sorry that's all I can say at this point, since I've not yet actually done this. I'm sure you will have a great time no matter which you choose; I mean, it's a vacation, right?

It depends on what you are planning to do & see there

We spent 3 days in Amsterdam the first day was sort of a write off getting over jet lag we just wandered around a bit had a nap & more roaming near the hotel

The Movenpick is nice if you are departing from PTA but I would stay closer to the Centruum or train station

We got a good price on Barbizon palace via Priceline NYOP option

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/

For a week yes I would split your time

You can always take to the train to Rotterdam/taxi to port or hotel from there

Take a tour to Kinderdijk or other areas close to either city

https://www.kinderdijk.com/

We hired a guide from Rotterdam when we docked there went to the windmills & then to Dordrecht & a drive around the area

We shared with another couple so the price was reasonable

Lots to do just depends on what you like

I stayed at the Movenpick and really liked it. What a beautiful hotel! For a small fee, we were able to check in at 9am and have an upgraded room with an incredible view over the ship docks. We could've stayed right there and watched the ships & boats come & go all day.

IME, a week is too much in Amsterdam. I think 3 days is enough. I know people will disagree, but we found the city's transit system dirty and packed almost all the time. The canals are filthy too. The museums in Museumplein were awesome though. Make sure you get your tickets ahead of time. Because of that, we were able to skip MASSIVE lines for the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum and do them both in one day.

I think the part we enjoyed the most was getting out of the crowded, dirty city (relatively speaking compared with Germany & Switzerland) filled with really angry bike riders. BTW - make sure you don't walk in the bike lanes. We saw some people that didn't know about that and they really got chewed out. We took a day trip out to Zaanse Schans and really loved it. I know it's touristy, but it was so neat to see the windmills, the clog maker, the cheesemaker and the absolutely gorgeous scenery.

I agree that 3 days in Amsterdam is plenty. However I think there are MUCH better places to spend the rest of the time than Rotterdam. There is really not much there to see. All of Rotterdam was destroyed in WWII and thus has been completely rebuilt since then. Delft is beautiful and a lovely small town to explore on foot. We also enjoyed a stay in Haarlem. Hoorne is lovely too. The Netherlands has an absolutely delightful train system that is easy to use and relatively inexpensive. Get a nice tour book (I like Lonley Planet and Rick Steves) and read about some of the places you'd like to see and plan out your week. Rotterdam and Amsterdam are actually my least favorite places in the Netherlands. And there are so many lovely places in the country that are so often missed.

Rotterdam is within an hour (or so) train ride from almost anyplace in the country and the port is a short cab ride from the train station so don't feel like you have to stay in Rotterdam prior to boarding

• 3 weeks later...
We need help in deciding should we stay the whole week in Amsterdam or split half Amsterdam and half Rotterdam since our HAL cruise will be departing from Rotterdam on May 13th?
Personally, I think Amsterdam is probably a 2-week city, so one whole week in Amsterdam is probably not enough. But then I am not a fan of "drive-by tourism".

One thing though: I'd strongly encourage you to go to Rotterdam at least one day before the cruise, and stay on ss Rotterdam (V) for at least one night before you embark on your cruise.

Of course there is plenty to see and do in Amsterdam. But there is more. Since public transport is excellent you can also always choose to make a nice daytrip to cities like Haarlem, see the church on Grote Markt, where even Mozart played on. Or the Corry ten Boom huis where people were saved during WWII.http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/what-to-do/museums-and-galleries/museums/corrie-ten-boomhuis.

If you like history visit the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen: http://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/en/10/home/

How about a trip by steamtrain and boat: http://www.stoomtram.nl/en

Of course a visit to the windmills at Zaanse Schans. https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

As mentioned the city of Rotterdam is very different due bombing during WWII. However a visit to Euromast with the view over the city is always nice. Of course a boatride through the harbor and maybe also a visit to the windmills in Kinderdijk in case you didnot go to Zaanse Schans.

Delft, a charming old city is a short trainride from Rotterdam.

We have visited Amsterdam 3 times and still don't feel like we have scratched the surface. Once we visited as a port stop (one day), another time we stayed 4 days post cruise and another time 2 days precruise. I would love to go back and spend at least 4 or 5 more days, preferably a week, to do more things and see more neighborhoods. It is a fabulous city and I would also like to visit more of the countryside ( we did Zaanse Schans).

• 4 months later...
We have visited Amsterdam 3 times and still don't feel like we have scratched the surface. Once we visited as a port stop (one day), another time we stayed 4 days post cruise and another time 2 days precruise. I would love to go back and spend at least 4 or 5 more days, preferably a week, to do more things and see more neighborhoods. It is a fabulous city and I would also like to visit more of the countryside ( we did Zaanse Schans).

If you only had 3 full days, what would you suggest for a first time visitor?

I personally would not spend a week solely in Amsterdam with so many other countries - in particular Belgium _ a convenient train ride away.

We spent 3 nights in Amsterdam which seemed sufficient to cover the highlights. Read Rick Steve's for great suggestions -

Anne Frank House Prebooking essential

Van Gogh museum

RIjks Museum

Royal Palace

Canal boat tour

Reypenauer cheese tasting

Bols experience

All were easily fit into 3 days, as well as most of one day taken up with Keukenhoff gardens (not recommended on a Saturday in tulip season:()

We were in Amsterdam for a few days this past May.

Keukenhof was wonderful (but it's only open for a couple of months a year.)

In addition to the previous poster's recommendations, I'll add the Heineken Experience (if you like beer).

Also, we really enjoyed Zaanse Schans. (sorry about the spelling)