Bergen

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Northern Europe & Baltic Sea
Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Reykjavik, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:13 AM.
182 Posts
Joined May 2005
I will be on the Princess Norweigian fjords cruise making a stop in Bergen. Does Princess run a shuttle into the center of town? Or is it best to take one of the tours?
Arkansas
2,753 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I didn't sail the fjords on Princess, but on our sailing, all of the ships docked in the same area, which is within easy walking distance of the fish market. You pass by the Bryggen historic area and the funicular on your left, so I would suggest walking anyway since those are places that you will likely visit during your day in Bergen. Bergen is a great port that is very easy to do on your own, so I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Have a great trip,
Donna
Oslo - Norway
889 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by blondie1234
I will be on the Princess Norweigian fjords cruise making a stop in Bergen. Does Princess run a shuttle into the center of town? Or is it best to take one of the tours?
I'm Norwegian, and my wife is actually from Bergen. Depending on the wheather, I would do it on my own. Walk into the centre, take the funicular up to Fløien and enjoy. Much cheaper and much more fun than a "tour"!

Good lucki!

Screwcork
Cambs. U.K
1,502 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
There is a tour bus which departs from the fish market (short walk from the ship) which offers a tour called "Bergen in a Nutshell" - a lovely tour with all the main sights plus a trip in the cable car included. We can thoroughly recommend this - it drops back in the centre for shopping etc and is an easy stroll back to the ship. BTW Beware prices in Norway - people think Britain is expensive, wait till you see Norway's!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dave & Marge Morgan
The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico
6,392 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
You can walk to the funiculair in Bergen (or take a city-bus near the cruiseterminal) and have a great view from the top of the mountain. http://www.floibanen.no/default.asp
Near fishmarket there is a small touristictram that tours around the city for one hour.
http://www.norway.com/directories/d_company.asp?id=5294
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Last cruise:
Celebrity Millenium Asia, December 2016
RCCL Vision of the seas Med, october 15 2016.
Various cruises on HAL, Celebrity and Orient Lines (doesnot exist anymore)
1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam"[/b][/font]
1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent long winter stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.