Athens Hotel?

fnewman

Post cruise stayed 2 nights at the herodion at the base of the Acropolis, it was delightful. Less expensive and ok for a quick 1 night was the Attalos. It comes highly recommended on Matt's Greek page.

I've stayed twice at Athens Gate hotel -- very nice, modern hotel; well located at the edge of the Plaka. Rooftop terrace where breakfast and dinner/drinks are served has gorgeous views of the Acropolis. Right across the street from the Temple of Olympian Zeus, so there are views from both sides.

In terms of transportation, it's a block or two from the Akropoli metro stop and is convenient for taxi pickup enroute to Piraeus for cruisers.

I've stayed twice at Athens Gate hotel -- very nice, modern hotel; well located at the edge of the Plaka. Rooftop terrace where breakfast and dinner/drinks are served has gorgeous views of the Acropolis. Right across the street from the Temple of Olympian Zeus, so there are views from both sides.

In terms of transportation, it's a block or two from the Akropoli metro stop and is convenient for taxi pickup enroute to Piraeus for cruisers.

Another vote for Athens Gate! We thought it was perfect. The views are amazing and the breakfast was very good.

cruisemom42 has helped me several times with hotels in Europe, and every time we were very pleased with the hotels!

And yet one more enthusiastic vote for the Athens Gate hotel. Perfect combo of comfort, good service, great price and convenient location. And then there is the view from the rooftop to the Acropolis -- magical.ImageUploadedByForums1467294503.690320.jpg.7f8589752bbd587c1d06aa3dcb7c8b5c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed around the corner from Athens Gate. Loved this location within walking distance of so many sites.

The AirBnB was cheaper with a full kitchen, bedroom and livingroom with very comfortable pull out couch.

The thing I loved is that our host made arrangements for transportation pick up at the airport and transportation to the port. It was so great having someone at 8pm greet us and take us directly to the apartment where our host met us and provided LOTS of information about the surrounding area.

Athens is wonderfully safe - I was traveling with my daughter and we walked the streets (along with 100's of other families) at 1130 at night.

Not sure I can advertise the AirBnb we used but you can email me: Panamoka1958 at yahoo dot com.

Judy

• 5 months later...
Does anyone who has taken the Athens-Venice cruise with Viking and did a pre or post cruise in Athens know what hotel(s) in Athens Viking uses?

This might best be asked on the Viking page as most of us travel independent of the cruise lines.

Last October, before taking our cruise we book several days at the Electra hotel on Ermou st. It was close to where the changing of the guard takes place. Ermou st. Is a pedestrian walk way. Walking the opposite direction from the parliament building are numerous places to eat and shop. Rooms comfortable, has a lift and breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at the Grande Bertagne and Athens Gate hotels. It appears that the Athens Gate is a little more expensive. Does that sound right? Did you book through the hotels' websites of through another site?

Thanks!

I'm looking at the Grande Bertagne and Athens Gate hotels. It appears that the Athens Gate is a little more expensive. Does that sound right?

No. The Grande Bretagne is an amazing, historic place; the Athens Gate is not, though it's a fine place if you like modern concrete. The GB should be more expensive (and well worth it, if you can afford it).

Edited by Langoustine

That's what I expected.

But looking at their website it appeared that the Grande Bretagne would be $337/ night in September. The Athens Gate would be $364/night. I'll look at it again. I must have made a mistake transferring from euros to dollars, or something like that.

Thanks!

Occasionally the Grande Bretagne runs some pretty good special deals, mainly during the off-season. I snagged a room there a few years ago (when a lot of travelers were avoiding Athens due to the strikes and demonstrations) for a very good price.

If you happen to find one of these, book it. You won't be sorry if you enjoy old-world, historic hotels. If modern, clean, and uncluttered is your preference, then you may not appreciate this gem as much.

The price you quoted for Athens Gate seems rather high based on my experience, though....

We used the AVA Hotel Athens and loved its great location right near the Plaka and other key historic sites. It is literally at the foot of the Acropolis, steps away from the Temple of Zeus, Hadrian Arch and other monuments of Greek civilization. Plus near to the new Acropolis Museum. It is more of a boutique hotel that still gets very high ratings on TripAdvisor. We loved its size, location, service, etc.!! Their website: http://www.avahotel.gr

TripAdvisor does give Grand Hotel Bretagne its highest ratings, but it is a little farther from the Plaka, etc. From Wikipedia, they note for this larger hotel: "In 2006, the Hotel Grande Bretagne underwent a complete renovation to restore it to its former glory, and approximately 112 million Euros were invested to completely modernize the building."

For Athens and nearby, look at my earlier posting for many options and visual samples from this city that is so great for seeing its great history, style and architecture. This posting is now at 15,920 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 28,983 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From our balcony of the AVA Hotel, here are two views you can easily see. To the right, the Acropolis Hill towering over its neighboring Plaka neighborhood and this hotel location. To the left, the Roman ruin called Hadrian's Arch. It is a monumental gateway resembling a Roman triumphal arch. It spanned an ancient road from the center of Athens, to the complex of structures on the eastern side of the city that included the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It has been proposed that the arch was built to celebrate the arrival of Roman Emperor Hadrian to honor his many benefactions to the city and the dedication occasion of a nearby temple complex in 131 or 132 AD It doesn’t get much better for being so close to real history than being here at this hotel location in Athens.:

AthensHotelViewAcropolis.jpg

AthensHotelViewRomRuins.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have to agree with the Plaka hotel!! Stayed 2 nights there May 2017 pre cruise. We had a CC "pre cruise"party the night before we boarded on the roof top bar- they hotel was amazing and accommodating. They totally rocked and everyone at the party was jealous of our hotel. Great morning breakfast selections too.

Plaka Hotel:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189400-d197721-Reviews-Plaka_Hotel-Athens_Attica.html

Really central location; very nice staff; within walking distance to the Monastiraki metro station and to Syntagma Square for buses.

I have to agree with the Plaka hotel!! Stayed 2 nights there May 2017 pre cruise. We had a CC "pre cruise"party the night before we boarded on the roof top bar- they hotel was amazing and accommodating. They totally rocked and everyone at the party was jealous of our hotel. Great morning breakfast selections too.

The rooftop bar there is pretty incredible... especially at night time, with a great view of the Acropolis....