How Rough are the Aegean Seas?

gemz

We'll be sailing in late September from Rome to the Greek Islands on Princess and I heard that the Aegean Seas can be very rough. Is that true for most sailings? Just want to prepare myself if it is.

Thanks!

Given the right weather pattern any body of water can get rough but I don't think the Aegean is normally very rough. It is not a large body of water so that helps (compared to the Atlantic or Pacific). We only sailed once on the Aegean and it was quite calm.

Kirk

Thank you for all your replies. I do appreciate it. I know that sailing out of Florida heading Eastern Caribbean is typically a little rougher because the Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean all kind of come together there. Also when we were sailing back up to LA from Mexico on the Pacific Ocean and going against the current and speeding, that water was the roughest that I have ever encountered. Hopefully the Aegean Sea is calm.

Thank you again.

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from Sept 23rd Star Princess sailing and the water was rough for the one day at sea which was crossing Aegean Sea from Naples over to Santorini. We woke up and said, "Whoa, this ship is rocking". I don't think anyone was up by the pool because the winds were very strong. The rocking died down around dinner time around 6 pm. Maybe this is the norm but we were all okay and not affected by the motion but we did see a lot of people with the patches by the ear. However, all the remaining days were as smooth as ice.

We were in the Mediterranean each of the last two summers and, while I realize any body of water can get rough in the right conditions, I kept commenting on how remarkable calm the sea was for our entire 12-day cruise. There were days that were so calm that you could hardly hear the little Pacific Princess (680 passengers) moving through the water.

We were in the Mediterranean each of the last two summers and, while I realize any body of water can get rough in the right conditions, I kept commenting on how remarkable calm the sea was for our entire 12-day cruise. There were days that were so calm that you could hardly hear the little Pacific Princess (680 passengers) moving through the water.

I just had the same experience on my HAL cruise (end of September) -- we sailed from Athens through the Aegean to Istanbul and then all down the Turkish coast. The sea was like a lake; hardly a ripple to be seen.

I just had the same experience on my HAL cruise (end of September) -- we sailed from Athens through the Aegean to Istanbul and then all down the Turkish coast. The sea was like a lake; hardly a ripple to be seen.

Exactly ... it was almost eerie how calm and smooth the sea was. Mind you, I'm not complaining. But, sometimes I actually enjoy a little motion of the ship while we're sleeping!!

Archived