Northen lights best time and where ?

As close to the winter solstice and as far north as possible - it is a matter of chance, as the conditions vary from year to year. In the 1860's they were seen as far south as Virginia, but the north slope of Alaska around Christmas time is more likely - if you are crazy enough about the possibility of seen something awesome.

Actually, there are many cruises in the winter months - - from Norwegian ports - specifically to get to the Arctic for the purpose of seeing the northern lights.

Yes, and they are wonderful!

February and above the Arctic Circle are your best bets.

I live in Canada - have lived in many places here and visited others. Lived in the Yukon Territory (next to Alaska) for five years, and yes, we saw northern lights, usually in winter. I've seen them In Churchill, Manitoba, on the shore of Hudson Bay, in late October.

The best display I ever saw was here in my home town of Ottawa (5 hours northeast of Toronto) in 1972, in August. We see them about once a year at our cottage, usually in winter but not always (where we go in winter) about 2 hours northwest of Ottawa.

They are a complex atmospheric phenomenon with relationships to sunspots and solar flare-ups. No one can predict them. No one can guarantee you will see them. Don't plan a trip around them. Go to the place for other reasons as well, or you may be disappointed.

I saw the best Northern lights I've ever seen above the arctic circle in November.

You need dark to really see them.

January in Fairbanks works well too. There is a resort called Chena Hot Springs that has Northern lights specials in winter.

Edited by AKman2495