Medifast

makeup face

Tried something like that many years ago (like in '88) had success BUT a person has to be VERY motivated and make MAJOR lifestyle changes. The program I went to had MD, dietician and behavioral classes to attack the majority of problems. I also added intensive workouts in gym after a while. I wasn't grossly overweight when I started (had about 35ish lbs to lose) so I guess for that group I was borderline. I did maintain the weight afterwards until I got pregnant with vigilance in what I ate AND exercise... doing the shakes isn't the answer it's just a tool in the total equation.

Yes, I did Slimfast years ago. Lost alot the first week, then lost very little and gained it all back plus 10 pounds. I don't recommend meal replacements. Why would you drink just a shake or bar, when you can have a big salad, some veggies and a nice piece of grilled chicken or fish? Or a turkey sandwich on wheat with lots of veggies on that? Meals that center on lean meats and fresh fruits and veggies are so much more satisfying, enjoyable to eat and healthful than some kind meal replacement. Not only that, while you are learning to eat in this fashion, you learn to make permanent changes to your eating habits. Meal replacements can never be a permanent change so you don't make the changes to your life habits which is what you really need to do.

Good luck!

Just a real big HOLD ON THERE! :D

Medifast is NOT Slim-Fast. Medifast is typically administered as part of a medically-supervised very low-calorie diet (VLCD). VLCDs are proven to be the most effective means of losing weight for obese folks. [Citation: Am J Clin Nutr 2001 Nov;74(5):579-84]

Having said that, I didn't use Medifast. Medifast is more radically high-protein than the program I used HMR (which is the third largest, nationwide, behind Optifast and Medifast). HMR was the most effective weight-loss program, at both the 6 month point and 2 years point, performing almost five times better than Weight Watchers. [Citation: CR June 93]

Rather than go into gory details, I've posted my journey on a web page: http://brianandrobbie.com/hmr/

Incidently, the picture you see at the top there is of a set of members of the National Weight Control Registry (plus Tim Johnson and a researcher) -- Three of the twelve used HMR, losing over 200 pounds combined. (The entire group, which included a lot of really remarkably folks, lost over 1000 pounds combined.)

I'm sure you can tell I'm an evangelist for medically-supervised VLCD for obese folks. It saved my life, so I love to spread the word! This is not your mother's or father's meal replacement diet from the 1970s. This is real science, real effectiveness, real life success. It is not for everyone, but for many, it is the best answer.

I'm certainly not trying to upset anyone. I read your journal and I agree with everything except the meal replacements. You suggest a shake instead of a bagel with cream cheese and prepackaged thing instead of a piece of pizza. Why not a bowl of oatmeal with one chopped nut and cinnamon instead of that big bagel with cream cheese. I add protein powder to my oatmeal and that also adds satiety. What's wrong with lean turkey breast on whole wheat with lettuce, tomatoe, sprouts, etc instead of that pizza? Your first rules of thumb all centered around planning what you will eat and controlling your environment and having on hand the things you need. My suggestions require that too. You can't avoid that.

I'm glad medifast worked for you and continues to work for you but I have to believe that whole program is quite expenive. I think you'd be just as successful following your other 9 fundamentals without the meal replacements. Many people can't afford these expensive programs.

I do know for some people, much of the motivation is derived from that layout of cash. If your paying a good buck, you want to make it work. If that's what it takes, then by all means, do whatever needs to be done.

I read an interesting article in National Geographic last night about obesity in the world today. Our problem is that we live in a very wealthy, decadent society. We have become very sedentary and we've, on average, increased our daily caloric intake by 168 (men) 338 (women). Combine the two-less manual labor and more calories and it's no wonder obesity is approaching epidemic proportions (1 in 3 people in America today are obese). We are bombarded constantly by the availability of large quantities of very unhealthy food that is quick, easy and cheap to obtain. Healthy options require effort, planning and generally cost more.

The thing is, there is just no easy way. We have to be vigilant about our health-what we put in, what we expend.

Didn't mean to offend you Bicker.

Thank you Bicker for the information :D I looking forward to starting the program after Christmas :)

Runner Girl....at 50 years old ....I am very aware that meal replacements can never be a permanent change....however they can be a start to a change. I work-out with a Personal Trainer twice a week and losing a few lbs. quickly will help me have longer cardio sessions.

I would never use Slimfast because it's a can of sugar...probably why it did not work for you.

I asked the question because I CAN afford the program and was interested if anyone else had tried the product.

If I decide I'd like opinons on meal replacements in general...I'll look you up ;)

There are a variety of reasons why meal replacement are so effective. Part of it is how it limits variety of fat, sugar and starch sources. While variety is beneficial when we're talking about vegetables, research shows that its detrimental to managing weight overall. [Citation: Psychological Bulletin, Vol 127, No. 3.] There is also issues with respect to convenience. Many folks experience better diet-plan compliance when convenience is enhanced.

It is expensive, but we did a financial analysis of the program, and were surprised to find we spent less on the meal replacements than we had spent on food during the same period the year before. Figure while we were on program, we weren't spending money on restaurants, corn chips, ice cream, etc.

Motivation is a very critical issue, true. That's one of the reason why these programs insist on weekly medical supervision, weekly support group meetings (ours were less than 15 people), and weekly discussions with a weight-loss coach. Between the support and success, motivation flowed pretty-readily from the program for us.

It's interesting what you mentioned about our sedentary society. Some times I see folks advocating those "hunter-gatherer" diets --- they advocate the intake, but they don't advocate the out-go! Those hunter-gatherers did a lot of hunting and gathering! Lots of exercise to balance all those calories.

No offense intended or taken. If the answer to the obesity epidemic was clear and easy, it wouldn't be an epidemic!

Good points all, Bicker especially the one about cost how you analyzed that.

Sometimes when I am running or at the gym, I kind of laugh to myself. Imagine what a person 200 or 300 years ago would've thought if they learned we'd have invented all they gadgets to take away our physical labor and now we have to go running or to gym to make up for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Makeupface I see you are doing alot of progress, I did the same about 6 months ago lost over 50. I have kept it off, using the Dr. Phil 7 steps to keeping the weight off and after 6 months, living freely in my new body. Keep up the good work.

Archived