Azamara Journey on UK TV tonight

NorbertsNiece

It was in the U.S. a few months ago.

Your post piqued my interest as I couldn't imagine how a cruise addict like me could have possibly missed it [or the rest of the series for that matter]... And so, I did some research yesterday afternoon...

Turns out that the Azamara episode of Mighty Ships was indeed aired in The US back on 23 November... That said, the series is only available here via The Smithsonian Channel which is not one of the more readily available networks here [Discovery, which was apparently used in Canada, would have been a far better/far more readily available vehicle for viewing here]...

My cable television provider--by far the most prominent in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale metropolitan area--does not offer The Smithsonian Channel [i called yesterday to confirm what I found on their website] at any subscription level... And while a competing cable service offered by AT&T--using newer fiber optic technology--does apparently carry The Smithsonian Channel, my neigborhood has not yet been wired to support their television service [though fiber optic phone and internet service are available]...

Two satellite television providers--Direct TV and Dish Network--do apparently offer the channel... But satellite TV is just not a very good option here in Southeast Florida from a reliability/quality perspective given the year-round weather swings/extremes and, where I live, given the steel and concrete construction of the high rises that dot the beach area/coastline... Several neighbors dropped satellite TV--and reinstated cable--after a very brief and very unsatisfactory experiment...

Clearly, I'm not sure--here or in much of The US for that matter [smithsonian Channel is not available via cable at my other home in the New York Metro area either]--that this is a case, other than perhaps in terms of timing of the initial showing to a seemingly limited population [last night's episode in The US featured NCL Breakaway for those who could access it], in which it is the UK that needs to catch up...

The video was briefly available on Youtube on a link posted by Host Jazzbeau a month or so ago. I was able to watch it on Youtube before it was removed as our cable system does not have the Smithsonian channel.

Very well done show that captured the Azamara ambiance, although I was disappointed they didn't identify Ryszard as hotel director after he replaced Heike on the cruise. I guess that could have been confusing to viewers.

Canadians can still stream the series online from the Discovery Channel website. http://www.discovery.ca/Shows/Mighty-Cruise-Ships

If you have one of those apps or software that can change your server location you should be able to watch it. I used HMA to watch Netflix in Scotland. The Canadian one, not the UK version

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Many thanks for your follow-up...

I have only the highest regard/highest respect for both Heike and Ryzsard--they are clearly all time favorites and I like them equally--but am sorry to learn that Ryzard was a bit short-changed as to role identification during the show...

I'm leaving for a back-to-back on Journey two weeks from now--with much to do and an extended jury duty commitment to contend with before I leave--but will surely attempt to view the Mighty Ships episode, one way or another--upon my return... I did attempt to access it via the Discovery Canada weblink, but with hope springing eternal that it would be easy [i suspected otherwise--as you did Christine--but it was worth a quick try], all I could access was four static photos from the show...

I really appreciate your both weighing in here... Many thanks again...

• 1 month later...

This episode will be airing again March 22 - March 23 on the Smithsonian channel (540 on DIRECTV)

From the episode description:

"When it comes to exploring the heart of Asia's most exotic locales, Azamara Journey is in a class of her own. She reaches destinations big cruise ships cannot, navigating through narrow, winding rivers to deliver her passengers to breathtaking worlds. Set sail on a 15-day cruise, highlighted by elephant-guided tours through tropical jungles and overnight stays in Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, and Hanoi. Then meet the dedicated crew as they handle shallow waters, fierce weather, and stubborn local pilots en route to an unforgettable journey."

Source: http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/mighty-cruise-ships/azamara-journey/1003687/3417366