First visit to sydney - questions

Thebosn1

I just booked a relocation cruise on Carnival Legend that ends in Sydney. I have never been to Australia and I would love to stay for a day or two before flying home.

I have heard mixed information about the cost of things in Sydney. Some people say it is extremely expensive and others say it's not so bad.

Does anyone have any advice about how expensive thigs are?

I would also love to hear some ideas about things to do around Sydney if I only stay for a day or two. Thanks

Like many things, I'd say it's in the middle :-)

It's not extremely expensive, but it's not cheap either.

As examples, you can readily get lunch (meal and a drink) for around $10 (AUD). But it's a big city so there's a whole range of choices.

I just booked a relocation cruise on Carnival Legend that ends in Sydney. I have never been to Australia and I would love to stay for a day or two before flying home.

I have heard mixed information about the cost of things in Sydney. Some people say it is extremely expensive and others say it's not so bad.

Does anyone have any advice about how expensive thigs are?

I would also love to hear some ideas about things to do around Sydney if I only stay for a day or two. Thanks

The cost of things now would be better for visitors from USA with the drop in the value in the AUD re USD. more bang for your US$.

Hotels in the city start around AUD$120 pn. Things to do include the Bridge Climb from $200. Taronga Zoo has great views of the harbour and city whilst enjoying viewing the animals including the unique OZ animals. Cost is $44 and suggest you go by the ferry. Opera house, museums, Bondi beach including coastal walk to Bronte beach, ferry ride to Manly beach with a chance to see the little penguins that nest nearby. A longer stay opens up opportunities for day tours the Blue Mountains or the Hunter Valley wine country and the great wines.

The cost of things now would be better for visitors from USA with the drop in the value in the AUD re USD. more bang for your US$.

Hotels in the city start around AUD$120 pn. Things to do include the Bridge Climb from $200. Taronga Zoo has great views of the harbour and city whilst enjoying viewing the animals including the unique OZ animals. Cost is $44 and suggest you go by the ferry. Opera house, museums, Bondi beach including coastal walk to Bronte beach, ferry ride to Manly beach with a chance to see the little penguins that nest nearby. A longer stay opens up opportunities for day tours the Blue Mountains or the Hunter Valley wine country and the great wines.

Great information thank you.

Jim,

I know you have come to the Roll Call, so make sure to ask lots of questions there too. There are several Aussies traveling on this trip again, that were on the Spirit, and they have a wealth of info about Sydney and surrounding areas..

Debbie

PS... Even if you aren't into Roll Calls, it's still a good place for info. Haha

I can understand your confusion with the cost of living in Sydney and it is all relative. Staying and eating in the big downtown luxury hotels will be expensive but if you are only here for a day or two this might fit your budget if you are seeking top accommodation. Many prefer to stay in modest accommodation of which there is a good choice at around $200/250 per night and cheaper deals are around.

Also consider new style backpacker rooming such as at the new YHA hostel in Cumberland Street, The Rocks. Very cheap family rooms are available with a great view from the roof. Likewise, many prefer Pub style accommodation. Other modestly priced hotels are the Travelodge brands. Best to pick a list and come back for comment. Also do a CC search as there are several threads on Sydney Hotels.

I would consider Sydney pricing to be like that in Alaska but you get far greater quality of hotel for the same price in Sydney. We are trying to research hotel pricing in Anchorage and are blown away by the low standard of accommodation for a high dollar price.

Food costs can be kept to a minimum by eating in the shopping centre food courts that are scattered all over downtown Sydney.

Hugh

Having visited this great city 5 times. My answer would be to use Priceline for hotel booking(We stay at Marriot Quay for 100/night) The other is based on your length of stay. Go to Viator and get Sydney city pass and plan your activities . (We bought a 3 day pass for 187 US and got about 400 dollars worth of activities.) Your just busy doing everything.

My husband and I are going to be in Sydney for 2 days, post cruise. I have planned the following on Saturday morning on January 4th after we depart from the cruise ship and take our luggage to north Sydney harbour view hotel. Visit the rocks, I have read about an open air market, is it a good one to visit; royal botanical gardens, walk from bondi beach to Bronte beach; Chinatown, darling harbour; ferry to Mossman than walk to cremorne, maybe visit Sydney tower eye (is it worth visiting). On Sunday we plan to take a tour of the opera house, take the ferry to manly beach for lunch, you had mentioned penguins, my question is how often are penguins around manly and what time do they come up to the beach? I also have the captain cook highlight tour at 2:30 planned. Last I have read about the Queen Victoria building.

Does this sound like a good itinerary? Am I missing anything that I should include, or is there anything I should take off?

Thank you for your help.

How many days do you plan to stay in Sydney????? Just 2??? Wow! You really intend to squeeze a lot into those two days - I would say that your itinerary is going to be a huge challenge and you will end up totally exhausted plus you'll not really have time to enjoy the places you go.

Firstly I think the Harbour View Hotel is a good choice - close to railway for convenience and great views of the harbour and bridge!

The open air markets at The Rocks are great and definitely worth doing. It would be possible to walk there from your hotel over the Bridge and if you wanted to do this I would probably suggest getting the train one stop to Kirribilli and then walking from there - no chance of getting lost then :)

I think all the places you have talked about are really great but you do need to streamline it. I would probably suggest deleting the ferry to Mosman and the walking to Cremorne. This is a great walk - I love it! But, seeing you plan to get a ferry to Manly on the Sunday I think maybe not worry about doing the Mosman trip. If you want to walk around the harbour a bit - do it from your hotel - this area is really beautiful too and just as interesting. You could walk down to Lavendar Bay and around by Luna Park under the Harbour Bridge to Kirribilli and even along to Kirribilli House - the official Sydney Residence of our Prime Minister (whoever that may be when you arrive:rolleyes:)

You are probably better off doing The Rocks markets and your tour off the Opera House on the same day - these are close to each other so saves travel time! Also the Botanical Gardens are right there too.

Lunch at Manly is a great idea and there are lots of great eateries there. The little penguins are in the area of the water slides but sadly it is unlikely that you will see them. You would have to be incredibly lucky.

It will take half an hour by Manly ferry to get back to the city after lunch for your Captain Cook tour at 2.30 - might be pushing it a bit. Does this tour leave from The Quay or Darling Harbour?

QVB is also a lovely place to visit - I would suggest combining this with your trip to Darling Harbour and Chinatown as they are reasonably close together. It is about a 15 mins walk from DH to QVB.

Walking from Bondi to Bronte is also a great walk but harder to get to from your hotel. You could get the train to Wynyard, walk to Martin Place station and get the Bondi train....but this all takes time in your already packed schedule. I'd probably consider leaving this out as well.

Just my 2 cents worth and I hope it helps :) Others may have a different point of view altogether.

Anyhow, whatever you do, have fun! :D

My husband and I are going to be in Sydney for 2 days, post cruise. I have planned the following on Saturday morning on January 4th after we depart from the cruise ship and take our luggage to north Sydney harbour view hotel. Visit the rocks, I have read about an open air market, is it a good one to visit; royal botanical gardens, walk from bondi beach to Bronte beach; Chinatown, darling harbour; ferry to Mossman than walk to cremorne, maybe visit Sydney tower eye (is it worth visiting). On Sunday we plan to take a tour of the opera house, take the ferry to manly beach for lunch, you had mentioned penguins, my question is how often are penguins around manly and what time do they come up to the beach? I also have the captain cook highlight tour at 2:30 planned. Last I have read about the Queen Victoria building.

Does this sound like a good itinerary? Am I missing anything that I should include, or is there anything I should take off?

Thank you for your help.

I like the ideas but like annenic said above it may be amibitious.

One other thing I'd note when I saw the walks you referred to including along beaches is that it is the middle of Summer then, and is likely to be very sunny, hot and fairly humid. They're not ideal for such walks unless you really like those conditions.

Nationaltreasure, you´ll certainly need a rest after trying to fit in everything you mention!

The Rocks market is good, interesting and very busy, you can walk from there, around circular Quay cut across to the Botanical Gardens (which are extensive) then walk around the shore walk back to the opera house. That will probably take you til about 2pm, when I expect you´ll be thinking about something to eat and a break. Can´t comment on the beach walks. China Town is busy and if Paddy´s market is on your list, that will take more time. I´d guess by about 5pm you might be back to Victoria building (which i think is Ok from the outside but full of expensive shops on the inside, we weren´t that impressed), from there onto Darling Harbour for a look round I would expect by this time you might be dropping on your feet.

Sunday, I don´t know what time tour you´re thinking of for the Opera House, but the ferry to Manly takes a bit of time, then you have a walk to get to the beach at the other end, again through an open air market straight up from the Ferry landing. When we were there Manly was much busier than we expected and all the restaurants were full and service slow, we ended up with take away fish and chips on the beach), personally I don´t think you´d have lunch and get back on the ferry to Circular Quay by 2.30 if that´s where you´re picking up your Captain Cook cruise.

Whatever you do I´m sure you´ll love Sydney and will want to go back to do the things you couldn´t fit in on this visit

Sandy in Spain

Thank you for your help.

As others have commented - not enough time to justify the itinerary which, is fine in itself but more suited to 4 days in Sydney. It is a BIG city.

Saturdays will be busy around the city but Sunday morning it will be deserted. Shops open only 10-4 on Sunday in downtown Sydney.

January 4 is mid summer and temperatures could be 100+ so don't overdo it.

Queen Victoria Building (QVB) can be done at the same time you go up Sydney Tower (great views - bad food). Visit QVB for its architecture and historical significance in Sydney. Lots of good shopping in neighbouring arcades with underground shopping as well.

Posing another itinerary question for all you Sydneysiders. We arrive on Monday 11/4 at 6:30 AM and will have 2 days to do a bit of exploration of your wonderful city. Our plan is to drop the heavy luggage at the OPT and then do the Opera House tour, the Rocks market (is it open Monday?) and the Botanical Gardens, then back to the OPT for unpacking. The next day, an early start to do the Zoo and Aquarium, then ferry to Manly for fish & chips, maybe penguins, then back to the OPT. Is this a sound plan? Have I missed anything obvious in the vicinity that should be added?

No Rocks market on a Monday. :(

I'd be inclined to go to Manly on Day 1 rather than trying to do back to back ferry trips. Once you've unpacked you can spend the afternoon at the OH and the Gardens, maybe even watch a bit of sunset.

Zoo and aquarium are in opposite directions and also involve either changing ferries or a bus/train ride and walk. I'd leave the aquarium for later in the afternoon as Tuesday are PEAK school excursion days, so any time after about 1.30pm it will quieten down.

Posing another itinerary question for all you Sydneysiders. We arrive on Monday 11/4 at 6:30 AM and will have 2 days to do a bit of exploration of your wonderful city. Our plan is to drop the heavy luggage at the OPT and then do the Opera House tour, the Rocks market (is it open Monday?) and the Botanical Gardens, then back to the OPT for unpacking. The next day, an early start to do the Zoo and Aquarium, then ferry to Manly for fish & chips, maybe penguins, then back to the OPT. Is this a sound plan? Have I missed anything obvious in the vicinity that should be added?

The zoo is really an all day outing of its own - it's spread out over a hill side and has great views and plenty of walking. It'd be very difficult to fit the aquarium and Manly in to that as well. My suggestion would be to do the Opera House and Botanic Gardens on the first morning, Manly by ferry from Circular Quay on the first afternoon, the zoo the next day, and skip the aquarium. And I must admit I haven't heard of Manly being a big penguin kind of place. :)

I hope you have a great trip to Sydney! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Zoo and aquarium are in opposite directions and also involve either changing ferries or a bus/train ride and walk. I'd leave the aquarium for later in the afternoon as Tuesday are PEAK school excursion days, so any time after about 1.30pm it will quieten down.

There is Wildlife SydneyZoo near the Aquarium at Darling Harbour, perhaps that is the one they mean? Obviously not as big as Taronga but they do have Koala encounters there and we enjoyed our visit when limited for time visit they also do a combined ticket with the Aquarium.

Sandy in Spain

LOL, I would never have thought of WildLife as a zoo and have never heard it be referred to as a zoo.

FWIW locals view the only Zoo as Taronga, the rest, and there are many of them are Wildlife Parks (or in the case of the thing on Darling Harbour a cage) it does serve purpose for quick encounters...

Yillup there is a colony of penguins at Manly, but they aren't on display such as the ones in Melbourne. the location is generally kept under wraps and access is difficult.

Sydney is expensive to live in but I think its reasonable for overseas visitors.

Rocks Markets - definitely worth a visit - they sell quality souvenirs and handmade items.

Get there when it opens at 10am to beat the crowds and the heat. Rocks markets is only open Saturday & Sundays. The Rocks has a really good vibe on the weekends and you may find you want to go back there at some point during your 2 days.

Botanical Gardens worth a visit.

Ferry to Manly and fish and chips for lunch - definitely worth doing but not on the same day you have the 2.30pm cruise booked (you won;t have enough time to do both) You won't see any fairy penguins - they exist but sightings are rare.

The captain cook cruise is a good one. Recommend a CC cruise to any visitor either the Sydney Highlights or the Coffee Cruise. The Coffee Cruise is longer but you see more of the harbour/middle harbour. Both have excellent commentaries.

Sydney Tower - worth a visit but the queues for the 2 lifts during the day on a weekend are lengthy. Question for the other Aussies - Has anyone been up the Tower in the late afternoon or eve for dinner recently? Would you recommend it?

Opera House tour - great.

QVB is a stunning shopping arcade but very pricey. You won't be able to resist taking photos though.

Darling Harbour and Chinatown (Paddys Market) are good for cheap souvenirs and a visit to Sydney Wildlife World & Sydney Aquarium which are right next door to each other at Darling Harbour. Both are worth a visit but not sure you would have time in a 2 day visit.

The walks you have chosen are two of Sydney's best but they really aren't doable on a 2 day visit. Bondi to Bronte walk is stunning but it would take a least half a day on our public transport. The walk around Cremorne is lovely too and there is a free outdoor pool with harbour views which would be perfect in January but if you're already doing 2 other trips on the harbour you may not have time to do this as well.

Taronga Zoo is worth a visit for anyone who has at least half a day to spare. The views are stunning. Lots of walking though (wear comfy shoes) and the food is pricey but if you have the time its worth a visit. No need to do Sydney Wildlife World and Taronga Zoo. Choose one or the other. For a quick visit, I would recommend Sydney Wildlife World.

For a visit in our summer, I would plan to do something both evenings, Sydney Harbour is stunning in summer and we have daylight savings so its lovely to be out and about around the Rocks/Circular Quay/Opera House in the evening. Plenty of people walking around on the weekends.

Hope this helps. You will love Sydney.

An idea for any visitor who likes a bit of an adrenaline buzz and doesn;t mind getting wet (perfect for a summer visit). A jetboat ride on Sydney Harbour. Leaves from Circular Quay (one company leaves from Darling Harbour) - 30 minute fast & furious jetboat ride out on Sydney Harbour. You get completely drenched but it is ALOT of fun. In summer, they depart frequently throughout the day. $40.00 for online bookings. You pay a bit more if you just pay on the day.

Yillup there is a colony of penguins at Manly, but they aren't on display such as the ones in Melbourne. the location is generally kept under wraps and access is difficult.

The colony at Manly is quite small....and even smaller since last year (or maybe the year before) when an unleashed dog attacked them and killed many of them. The dog's owner was taken to court and faced huge fines (as he deserved!) - he had refused to put the dog on a leash even when advised he was breaking the law by not doing so and also advised about the need for safety for little penguins in the area.

The locals have always been very protective of this small colony and since the attack have been protecting them and nurturing them with even greater diligence.

Great advice from everyone.

The QVB is wonderful. Make sure you ride the lift / elevator and have a good look at the flooring.

Unless you are a musician (or similar) I would skip the Opera House tour. You can walk around the building and go inside some parts. You will not get into the concert halls - but they are just concert halls with amazing acoustics. A walk around might be enough for you and would free up a lot of time.

R.

We booked Aug 16 to start our odyssey the end of Sept! Head is spinning! Cruising on Volendam to Sydney but will have 5 1/2 weeks in OZ. Towards the end of that time we will have a few days or maybe a week to enjoy Sydney before we embark Solstice over to NZ for touring time there. This thread has given form to our muddle of ideas! Thank you all so much. CCers are the best! I couldn't do it without you. m--

Australia land part of cruise tour. I have tried looking on the Princess site about details of the land portion, but have found nothing. I know we go Port Douglas | Port Douglas/Sydney | Sydney | Kakadu/Darwin | Sydney/Ayers Rock | Darwin/Cairns/Port Douglas | Ayers Rock/Darwin/Kakadu, and you fly from place to place, but do you know the approx take-off times? I know the flights are about 3 hours. This will give me an idea of how much time we have at each location.

Australia land part of cruise tour. I have tried looking on the Princess site about details of the land portion, but have found nothing. I know we go Port Douglas | Port Douglas/Sydney | Sydney | Kakadu/Darwin | Sydney/Ayers Rock | Darwin/Cairns/Port Douglas | Ayers Rock/Darwin/Kakadu, and you fly from place to place, but do you know the approx take-off times? I know the flights are about 3 hours. This will give me an idea of how much time we have at each location.

Struggling to comprehend your itinerary as it is not in logical order. Bit like saying you are flying from New York to San Fran then back to New York then back to Dallas etc.

What cruise tour have you booked, we presume it is off Diamond Princess. Perhaps copy the itinerary and paste here.

There are many flights per day to these locations so hard to answer your question as to departure/arrival times. Check the cruise tour description for hints such as morning or afternoon departures etc.

Ayers Rock (Ularu) and Alice Springs are in the centre of Australia.

Darwin ( for access to Kakadu NP) is on the north coast at the top of Australia. Cairns/Port Douglas is on the east coast near the top of Australia.

Sydney is on the east coast 3.5 hours flight time south of Cairns.

Archived