NCL Pearl Crew member killed in Roatan?

mitsugirly

I must agree with you. That post was upsetting and turned me off in a big way.

I was referring to any animal who shoots, kills and robs a man, but way to make it about you. So sorry you were offended.

Edited by triptolemus

I haven't seen any official announcement from NCL. Since I'm leaving on Sunday and I had booked an excursion, it would be great to see something official by NCL. I agree it is the right thing to do as well.

I'm still wondering when there is going to be an "official" announcement (or even a mention of this) by NCL. The only thing I have read about it "says" that a NCL crew member talked to Kevin and stated they were pulling out the ships. However, it makes me wonder if it's actually just a temporary thing because this poster only mentioned 3 NCL ships. We are on the Sun in November (which goes to Roatan) and there was no mention of the Sun being pulled out.

I really wish NCL would make some type of announcement to put all of our minds at ease. :(

I haven't seen any official announcement from NCL. Since I'm leaving on Sunday and I had booked an excursion, it would be great to see something official by NCL. I agree it is the right thing to do as well.

Since you're leaving on Sunday, you may not see anything official until you actually board. Plus, like I said, this is something I saw posted elsewhere and I am hoping it to be true.

Anything official may take a while.

I hope you have a great cruise :)

Edited by halos

I was referring to any animal who shoots, kills and robs a man, but way to make it about you. So sorry you were offended.

I knew exactly what you meant... IMO no reason for you to apologize to anyone. The POS that pulled the trigger is an animal, plain and simple.

Edited by bbryan5

Since you're leaving on Sunday, you may not see anything official until you actually board. Plus, like I said, this is something I saw posted elsewhere and I am hoping it to be true.

Anything official may take a while.

I hope you have a great cruise :)

Thanks, Halos. Mitsugirly, I followed your thread on the Jewel and thank you for the review and all the pictures. I have a reservation with Victor Bodden, so I hope to be able to tour in Roatan, but safety of passengers comes first.

Thanks, Halos. Mitsugirly, I followed your thread on the Jewel and thank you for the review and all the pictures. I have a reservation with Victor Bodden, so I hope to be able to tour in Roatan, but safety of passengers comes first.

Our trip with Victor Bodden was great. Having a private driver all day I'm sure took some of the risk out of things. I never felt in danger, although it was certainly very destitute right outside the secure port area where there are local shops.

More and more cruiselines are creating private cruise centers hoping to keep passangers safely in and locals out. I know Royal has Labadee in Haiti and Carnival has a few including Grand Turk. Does NCL have any cruise centers in the works ?

parents are leaving sunday on the Dawn

More and more cruiselines are creating private cruise centers hoping to keep passangers safely in and locals out. I know Royal has Labadee in Haiti and Carnival has a few including Grand Turk. Does NCL have any cruise centers in the works ?

yes on the other side of Belize still under construction

Edited by vols_159

We are sailing on the Pearl this coming Friday and had a tour booked with Victor Bodden for Sunday. Our tour group has just received an email from the Bodden Tour Company confirming that the ship will not be calling at Roatan on Sunday.

We are sailing on the Pearl this coming Friday and had a tour booked with Victor Bodden for Sunday. Our tour group has just received an email from the Bodden Tour Company confirming that the ship will not be calling at Roatan on Sunday.

I haven't received any notification from Victor Bodden. Wish there was something official from NCL.

I did read on another roll call coming up that they called NCL and they had confirmed that they had cancelled Roatan for this coming week. However, they also said that they had not cancelled after that. So I guess there's no actual confirmation yet as to cancelling the port all together, or just for now.

The sad thing is, this kind of stuff happens all the time and not just when cruising. However, there have been plenty of reports with things going on (robberies and killings) of cruise passengers on various ships and in various ports. The cruise lines never pulled out of any of those ports. It has even happened on a cruise ship sponsored tour. It makes me wonder why the only reason for cancellation was due to an actual cruise employee of the ship being murdered instead of all of the other people that were passengers that had the same things happen. :cool: I'm pretty sure that the cruise lines are aware of how a lot of people do not feel safe or hate certain ports (for instance the gripes about Jamaica or Nassau) and still the cruise ships continue to take their passengers there.

While I realize this can happen in any country (including the US), it just strikes me as weird that they don't decide to call on a port when it's an employee that this happened to. I'm not debating whether or not they should and definitely not trying to start a debate on how it's safer there than the various US cities and so on. Just stating my observation that's all.

This is so very sad.. it makes my heart for the victim his family and the island. NCL pulling out will have an effect on all the hard working island folk who are full of respect and kindness.

This is not the 1st person to get shot and killed for a cell phone, though he is the first I have heard of in broad daylight.

Truly visitors should be aware, Roatan is a island off the coast of a third world country. Electronics are like money in the bank to the bad guys.

Truly visitors should be aware, Roatan is a island off the coast of a third world country. Electronics are like money in the bank to the bad guys.

Just thrown' it out there...

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/honduras-travel-warning.html

The Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens that the level of crime and violence in Honduras remains critically high. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning dated June 17, 2013, and includes additional information on crime and security in Honduras, as well as updated contact information.

Tens of thousands of U.S. citizens visit Honduras each year for study, tourism, business, and volunteer work without incident. However, crime and violence are serious problems throughout the country, and the Government of Honduras lacks the resources to address these issues. Since 2010, Honduras has had the highest murder rate in the world. Various institutions and government agencies are still analyzing statistics for 2013. The National Violence Observatory, an academic research institution based out of Honduras’ National Public University, reports that the murder rate was slightly above 81 murders per 100,000 people for January through November.

I did read on another roll call coming up that they called NCL and they had confirmed that they had cancelled Roatan for this coming week. However, they also said that they had not cancelled after that. So I guess there's no actual confirmation yet as to cancelling the port all together, or just for now.

The sad thing is, this kind of stuff happens all the time and not just when cruising. However, there have been plenty of reports with things going on (robberies and killings) of cruise passengers on various ships and in various ports. The cruise lines never pulled out of any of those ports. It has even happened on a cruise ship sponsored tour. It makes me wonder why the only reason for cancellation was due to an actual cruise employee of the ship being murdered instead of all of the other people that were passengers that had the same things happen. :cool: I'm pretty sure that the cruise lines are aware of how a lot of people do not feel safe or hate certain ports (for instance the gripes about Jamaica or Nassau) and still the cruise ships continue to take their passengers there.

While I realize this can happen in any country (including the US), it just strikes me as weird that they don't decide to call on a port when it's an employee that this happened to. I'm not debating whether or not they should and definitely not trying to start a debate on how it's safer there than the various US cities and so on. Just stating my observation that's all.

I was on the NCL Star when the decision was made to discontinue calling on Mazatlan. That decision was the result of a shooting that occurred in the Gold Zone while a ship sponsored tour was in the vicinity.

Similar decisions have been made by various cruise lines, but are not widely publicized unless a passenger contacts the media. Even the media does not report all the incidents unless they happen in Mexico, then they jump all over it.

Several ports are in danger of losing cruise business due to their failure to control crime, but as with any change, the real reason may be masked by "politically correct" statements.

Indeed, the age old debate: is the island crime the same as the mainland. Many people would say no being much of the population of the island is not from the mainland but from the British Caymans along with the Garifuna. It was not so long again an only English speaking island. The islanders had to go to school to learn Spanish to speak with the Hondurans coming over from the mainland.

Once there was money to be made on the island the Spanish poverty stricken from the mainland started arriving.

The whole thing makes me so sad.

Edited by Guest 2000

I am pleased to see NCL stand up and give notice to the Roatan authorities that they must control crime or lose business.

This may be construed as saber rattling but it may also have a widespread effect in making all the ports safer for cruisers.

If NCL did not take quick action, the local authorities could sit back in their comfort zone and continue to allow crime to flourish. This will bring pressure on them to do something about the problem.

The whole thing makes me so sad.

Yeah, it's quite saddening. This morning, my reaction was more toward anger. But I do understand the underlying reasons for the violence there are quite complicated and go much deeper than my personal view and emotional reaction.

And I'd like to add that I don't mean to take away from Jacob's tragedy by pointing out the dangers to others. I guess the two topics sort of go hand-in-hand. Jacob could have been any one of us.

If NCL did not take quick action, the local authorities could sit back in their comfort zone and continue to allow crime to flourish. This will bring pressure on them to do something about the problem.

If I understand everything correctly, similar responses (NCL and others) seemed to have had a positive impact in the Mexican Riviera and particularly, places like Mazatlán...although it took several years.

I am pleased to see NCL stand up and give notice to the Roatan authorities that they must control crime or lose business.

This may be construed as saber rattling but it may also have a widespread effect in making all the ports safer for cruisers.

I am not expert but I am thinking it is not about sitting back in a comfort zone so much as nasty crazy corruption in the system.