PG Fuel Surcharge

calberry

We booked our June PG cruise a couple of months ago, and just received a notification that we were going to be hit with a $5 per day per person fuel surcharge plus $49 per person on the air...unless we had paid in full by the Oct. 31 (and of course this letter arrived on Nov. 4th)

Oh well.

Steve

I can understand the need for a fuel surcharge on the other Radisson ships. We expect to pay it on our next Voyager cruise. But the PG? The total round trip on a seven day PG cruise is only a tad more than 300 miles. This strikes me as just another arbitrary fare boost disguised as a surcharge.

Patrick

I would call up Radisson and tell them what happened. I can't imagine it was intentional, I do know that their office in Fort Lauderdale was closed for a week because of damage caused by the hurricane, I'm sure this lead to all kinds of delays. For those of you out of the area, Fort Lauderdale was hit quite hard by the hurricane and most traffic signals are still out.

I think I got this notice a long time ago, but I had already paid. Fuel prices must be a big part of the cruise cost, and all of us know what has happened as we fill our cars with gas. It really was inevitable and could be expected.

Just returned this morning from our PG cruise Patrick. Regarding specific costs this past week to fuel the 7 day PG itinerary, Captain Zupan said that they paid US$80,000.00. Yes, 80 grand. If you divide the fuel cost among 320 passengers it amounts to $500 per cabin. A $70 surcharge for the week would seem modest IOO.

Just returned this morning from our PG cruise Patrick. Regarding specific costs this past week to fuel the 7 day PG itinerary, Captain Zupan said that they paid US$80,000.00. Yes, 80 grand. If you divide the fuel cost among 320 passengers it amounts to $500 per cabin. A $70 surcharge for the week would seem modest IOO.

In your argument, you are not taking in to account the amount of the cruise fare already allocated towards fuel. For all you know, it's at or over $500 already. How would we know that unforeseen fuel price increases result to $70 per cabin?

Gas prices are on their way down and are about the same now as they were in May.

IMO, this is shady and would make me a little resentful. How can a company legitmately raise fares for those with deposits without adequate notice? And to raise the price of the flight? Airlines don't raise your price after you pay fare, so that doesn't seem fair.

The hurricane hit Oct 24. They should have sent this notice out well before that for an Oct 31st deadline.

ferret..airlines do in fact raise fares after booking unless the ticket was paid in full prior to the surcharge and/or price increase.

In view of the fact that we are talking about a 1.3% fare increase for a cruise that commonly ranks #1 in the world seems to us insignificant. On the other hand, if a customer has paid in full, any add-on costs after the fact would violate the agreement between the cruiseline and the passenger.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived