Tru travel insurance?

Orator

I used them on my last cruise; fortuantely I didn't need to utilize the policy, so I can't comment on how efficient they were. They did offer the best price and seemed to cover quite a lot. When I was researching them, someone on Cruise Critic did post and stated that she did need to make use of the policy and that TruTravel came through. Of course that is only one review, but at least it was positive! I plan to use them again for my next cruise unless I hear enough bad information about them to scare me off.

We just purchased it for a river cruise. The trip is over 10 G so insurance costs were high. Since we don't need medical and some of the more minor things like delays, lost luggage etc. were minimal , we found tru travel to be the best value. Hoping we DON'T have to use it tho! Yes the A+ and reviews I read from other users, pointed me to it.

The only insurance I have ever purchased is the one offered by Celebrity. Fortunately I have not had to use it. But it offers something the others do not.....you can cancel for ANY REASON and still get a 75% credit for another cruise. I have a job that requires me to change plans at the last minute on occasion. So it could be very helpful to have this type of plan.

The only insurance I have ever purchased is the one offered by Celebrity. Fortunately I have not had to use it. But it offers something the others do not.....you can cancel for ANY REASON and still get a 75% credit for another cruise. I have a job that requires me to change plans at the last minute on occasion. So it could be very helpful to have this type of plan.

There are other companies that offer "any Reason" cancellation. Also Travel Guard offers an add on "work related reasons" cancellation. You will get your money back , which would help a ton if you book a 10g vacation including getting your air and prepaid hotels back. And you aren't tied into the same cruiseline or vacation refund. Just so you know you have other choices. Check it all out on insuremytrip. ;)

OP, I was hoping someone would have made a claim with them and tell us their experience.

Insuremytrip.com started carrying Trutravel about 3 years ago, since then I have insured several trips with their basic coverage. Throughout the years I have booked with Travel Guard, Travelex, Travel Safe, etc.

One thing I like about Trutravel is with their basic plan they cover the cost of rebanking your miles.

OP, I was hoping someone would have made a claim with them and tell us their experience.

Insuremytrip.com started carrying Trutravel about 3 years ago, since then I have insured several trips with their basic coverage. Throughout the years I have booked with Travel Guard, Travelex, Travel Safe, etc.

One thing I like about Trutravel is with their basic plan they cover the cost of rebanking your miles.

I was probably the poster the OP earlier referred to.

I was very leery the first time I bought from them but decided to give it a shot when their coverage seemed as good if not better than the more expensive ones ($1 million medi-vac got my attention), it was backed by Nationwide and had an A+ rating

As luck would have it, I did have to make a claim. My ear stopped up with wax. I had $179 bill for it. When I got home, I called them to find out what I needed to do. The woman was very nice. She told me I had to apply to my primary coverage first (Medicare) and then submit to them what wasn't paid. She immediately e-mailed me a claim form.

We didn't think Medicare would pay on it since it occurred during a trans-Atlantic and we were well away from the USA. After two or three weeks, Medicare sent us some forms to fill out for further information. We returned those and waited, and waited, and waited.

In the meantime, Tru-Travel called me on their own to follow up asking why we hadn't submitted our claim. I think they were worried that we didn't understand it was secondary coverage and that they couldn't act on it until we applied to our primary coverage. I was impressed that they did this and not quietly hoping we would "go away" since no claim had come forth.

Finally Medicare paid us $60 and we submitted the claim via e-mail. Approximately 10 days later we received a check for the balance less the $50 deductible.

I called them another time to ask about pre-existing clause and the woman I talked to was very informative, polite, patient, and nice.

I have used them every since and, fortunately, not had to make a claim.

Tucker in Texas

I was probably the poster the OP earlier referred to.

I was very leery the first time I bought from them but decided to give it a shot when their coverage seemed as good if not better than the more expensive ones ($1 million medi-vac got my attention), it was backed by Nationwide and had an A+ rating

As luck would have it, I did have to make a claim. My ear stopped up with wax. I had $179 bill for it. When I got home, I called them to find out what I needed to do. The woman was very nice. She told me I had to apply to my primary coverage first (Medicare) and then submit to them what wasn't paid. She immediately e-mailed me a claim form.

We didn't think Medicare would pay on it since it occurred during a trans-Atlantic and we were well away from the USA. After two or three weeks, Medicare sent us some forms to fill out for further information. We returned those and waited, and waited, and waited.

In the meantime, Tru-Travel called me on their own to follow up asking why we hadn't submitted our claim. I think they were worried that we didn't understand it was secondary coverage and that they couldn't act on it until we applied to our primary coverage. I was impressed that they did this and not quietly hoping we would "go away" since no claim had come forth.

Finally Medicare paid us $60 and we submitted the claim via e-mail. Approximately 10 days later we received a check for the balance less the $50 deductible.

I called them another time to ask about pre-existing clause and the woman I talked to was very informative, polite, patient, and nice.

I have used them every since and, fortunately, not had to make a claim.

Tucker in Texas

Thanks for relating your experience.

My sister had a very good experience with Travelex, primary medical coverage...she came down with strep on board Serenade, 3 IVs and 24 hours later she was fine...but to the tune of 1600 dollars. Travelex paid every cent.

• 10 months later...

I've been considering TruTravel First Class for a forthcoming trip, partly because the summary of the coverage (and the personnel at InsureMyTrip) indicate that their medical coverage is PRIMARY. Unfortunately, the SUMMARY is subordinate to the detailed terms and conditions. If you are compulsive (as I am) and read the fine print it states, in the Order Of Benefits Determination Section, that if you have coverage under two insurance Plans (for example, TRUTRAVEL + a Medigap Supplemental Plan covering limited foreign travel) TruTravel First Class is SECONDARY. I don't want to have to file with two companies and I don't want a loss to reduce the lifetime limit under Medigap. To date, I cannot get a satisfactory explanation from TRUTRAVEL.

Then don't purchase it. If you can't get a satisfactory explanation and you definitely don't want to fill out paper work for your private plus travel insurance, look elsewhere.

We had to make a claim due to illness on a cruise and needed to file with my private insurance and then the travel insurance. It was no problem doing that, at least for us. And we had the travel insurance payment within two weeks of filing with my private insurer. This was with Travel Guard.

But you have to purchase the plan that you feel comfortable with. My DH is exactly like you and if he doesn't see it in writing and understands all the details, he won't buy it.

Since I'm 83 and my SO is 73 we're mostly concerned about preexisting conditions exclusions. Travel Guard has a policy which waives that exclusion if the insurance is purchased not later than ten days after final payment.

Most policies do waive it if you buy it soon after deposit. TruTravel will for an additional $40. I, too, like pre-existing coverage--not necessarily for me but for any immediate relative that might cause me to cancel or cut the cruise short. When I added the $40 to the premium cost, it was still less than the other plans.

One problem is that you can't buy it more than a year out. I had booked a cruise on board more than a year out so I couldn't get the waive. When I ran up against that, I went to Travelex which wasn't that much more and they are primary coverage vs. secondary. I lean towards Travelex anyway if the cost is close to the other policies.

Tucker in Texas

Most policies do waive it if you buy it soon after deposit. TruTravel will for an additional $40. I, too, like pre-existing coverage--not necessarily for me but for any immediate relative that might cause me to cancel or cut the cruise short. When I added the $40 to the premium cost, it was still less than the other plans.

One problem is that you can't buy it more than a year out. I had booked a cruise on board more than a year out so I couldn't get the waive. When I ran up against that, I went to Travelex which wasn't that much more and they are primary coverage vs. secondary. I lean towards Travelex anyway if the cost is close to the other policies.

Tucker in Texas

Personal experience opinion, go with Travelex. I have a pre-existing condition and had problems on an east coast to Canada cruise and they responded on coverage as primary coverage and it was no problem. They were just great!!!

• 1 month later...

I purchased Tru Travel Insurance for my trip to Egypt in February 2011. I was reimbursed by cruise company and airlines all payments except $95.00. I filed a claim with Tru Travel and was denied. I filed a claim due to US State Dept alert for US citizens should not travel to Egypt. They denied the claim due to Trip Interruption because of strike. I asked why would you deny a claim when the US State Dept. didn't want it's citizens to travel to Egypt at that time?

I'm working with them and I'm crossing my fingers. I'll report back with the final outcome.

I purchased Tru Travel Insurance for my trip to Egypt in February 2011. I was reimbursed by cruise company and airlines all payments except $95.00. I filed a claim with Tru Travel and was denied. I filed a claim due to US State Dept alert for US citizens should not travel to Egypt. They denied the claim due to Trip Interruption because of strike. I asked why would you deny a claim when the US State Dept. didn't want it's citizens to travel to Egypt at that time?

I'm working with them and I'm crossing my fingers. I'll report back with the final outcome.

I know that on most Insurance sites, they include a list of places, airlines, travel agencies etc that will NOT be covered due to certain reasons. What is the $95 claim for? Why are you asking for that amount?

Archived