Suggestions for solo cruise idea?

febtober

So I'm a 28 year old male, and I've been on one cruise thus far. This past March, my girlfriend and I went on the Norwegian Gem down to Florida and the Bahamas and I really had a great time. We had a mini suite which was quite nice.

Now I'm recently single and am really wanting to cruise again, although I don't have many friends that are in a financial/free time position to go with me. My ideal time frame for travel is around March/April/May 2013.

I've been looking into the studios on the Norwegian Epic it looks like a great choice.

The Epic is sailing out of Miami on 7 day cruises around the Caribbean, which I would really like. I live in New York City, so I'd have to get a plane ticket down there and back, which is a minus, but not a dealbreaker.

My other option is to sail out of New York on RCCL or Carnival and get an interior room and pay the single supplement (itinerary would either be the Bahamas or the Caribbean). All of the choices work out to being roughly the same price wise, given that I'd have to tack on plane tickets and a hotel for a night to take the Epic.

Given that I'm a single 28 year old guy, I'm looking for a bit more of a "party" atmosphere and would like to be on a boat populated with a lot of passengers in their 20s and 30s.

The thing that I really like about the studios on the Epic is that you have your own private little lounge area that seems like it will really lend itself to meeting fellow single travelers.

Although I've heard that Carnival has a reputation for being a bit of a party boat, and they leave out of New York, which is a plus.

If I could have my cake and eat it to, it would be to leave from New York on the Epic or Breakaway so I could get the studio. The Breakaway actually is coming to New York in the fall of 2013, which is great, but I'd really like to go somewhere in the spring.

Any suggestions on the best plan?

You will love solo cruising! I have been on the Epic and it is great for singles. There is the solo lounge with a meet and mingle every night around 6 led by a solo cruise director type person who arranges group dinners and it's a good way to meet your fellow solos.

I've also taken several cruises on Carnival and met lots of people. Carnival seems very active and party oriented, and there was always something going on.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

I'm sailing semi solo on the Breakaway on Sept 8th next year to Bermuda, along with several other solos I met on the Epic last year. Feel free to join us! We are lots of fun. :)

Whichever cruise you decide you'll have a blast! One thing I'd like to make sure you check is a studio on the Epic doesn't necessary mean a cheaper price on another ship paying for two. I've priced both ways to see about possibly trying out the epic and on other lines I found about the same if not cheaper for a regular inside cabin.

Carnival isn't party party as the reputation seems to still linger out there. But with that said, based on my most recent cruises with Carnival they are changing their target market for the low to mid twenty something crowd with their new DJ format.

If you can find an itinerary and price that works well for you I'd sail out of New York. If not NY, you may also want to consider a ship out of San Juan. If you're going to fly anyways, may as well fly there and I can imagine you'd get some reasonably priced tickets out of NY to San Juan. You'd then be able to see more southern Caribbean islands that the further north ports can't get to as easily during a short period of time.

Sailing on any ship out of NY you're going to have more sea days with less ports to visit. Now if your a fan of sea days, which I do, then it wouldn't be an issue depending on the time of year.

Whichever cruise you decide you'll have a blast! One thing I'd like to make sure you check is a studio on the Epic doesn't necessary mean a cheaper price on another ship paying for two. I've priced both ways to see about possibly trying out the epic and on other lines I found about the same if not cheaper for a regular inside cabin.

Yeah I was playing around a little, and depending on the exact dates and whatnot it looks like a studio on the Epic is roughly $200 cheaper than an interior cabin on RCCL or Carnival, but at the same time I would have to purchase a plane ticket and one night's stay in a hotel in Miami for the Epic.

And I was actually a pretty big fan of the sea days on my previous cruise. Granted, I had a balcony, so I really enjoyed sitting out there and just watching the waves.

What I might do is take the interior cabin and leave from New York in the spring, then wait for the fall when the Breakaway is doing the Florida/Bahama route from New York as well and get a studio on that so I can compare the two.

Yeah I was playing around a little, and depending on the exact dates and whatnot it looks like a studio on the Epic is roughly $200 cheaper than an interior cabin on RCCL or Carnival, but at the same time I would have to purchase a plane ticket and one night's stay in a hotel in Miami for the Epic.

And I was actually a pretty big fan of the sea days on my previous cruise. Granted, I had a balcony, so I really enjoyed sitting out there and just watching the waves.

What I might do is take the interior cabin and leave from New York in the spring, then wait for the fall when the Breakaway is doing the Florida/Bahama route from New York as well and get a studio on that so I can compare the two.

I had the same dilema- (from South Jersey) I didn't want to fly so booked the Jewel-

I did end up flying to Miami paying 2 nights hotel for the Epic and it was totally worth it- I wish I had just done that in the first place.

I was going to do the Epic in the spring, but will just hold out 5 more months for the Breakaway as of course it willl be easier just staying overnight in NYC on a Saturday vs flying.

I was 39 when I went last year- obviously when I went on RCCL when I was 22 I was much more into partying. However, I think the Epic had a very good mix of things to do.

I do not know how the Breakaway will be for solos, as there are 59 studios vs 128. If you could wait 5 months, I would recommend just doing the breakway- but I totally understand you would need to go somewhere march/april/may and I would rationalize the additional expense of flying and Miami hotel as a cost for getting a better cruise experience

So I'm a 28 year old male, and I've been on one cruise thus far. This past March, my girlfriend and I went on the Norwegian Gem down to Florida and the Bahamas and I really had a great time. We had a mini suite which was quite nice.

Now I'm recently single and am really wanting to cruise again, although I don't have many friends that are in a financial/free time position to go with me. My ideal time frame for travel is around March/April/May 2013.

I've been looking into the studios on the Norwegian Epic it looks like a great choice.

The Epic is sailing out of Miami on 7 day cruises around the Caribbean, which I would really like. I live in New York City, so I'd have to get a plane ticket down there and back, which is a minus, but not a dealbreaker.

My other option is to sail out of New York on RCCL or Carnival and get an interior room and pay the single supplement (itinerary would either be the Bahamas or the Caribbean). All of the choices work out to being roughly the same price wise, given that I'd have to tack on plane tickets and a hotel for a night to take the Epic.

Given that I'm a single 28 year old guy, I'm looking for a bit more of a "party" atmosphere and would like to be on a boat populated with a lot of passengers in their 20s and 30s.

The thing that I really like about the studios on the Epic is that you have your own private little lounge area that seems like it will really lend itself to meeting fellow single travelers.

Although I've heard that Carnival has a reputation for being a bit of a party boat, and they leave out of New York, which is a plus.

If I could have my cake and eat it to, it would be to leave from New York on the Epic or Breakaway so I could get the studio. The Breakaway actually is coming to New York in the fall of 2013, which is great, but I'd really like to go somewhere in the spring.

Any suggestions on the best plan?

Hi. I was born in the 1950s, :) but don't hold that against me. I think when it comes to cruising I am more like 22. I love to experience everything about a ship. I do have an affinity for dinner in the Main Dining Room, though. I always seem to meet lots of people on a cruise. I cruise solo for the same reasons as yours for considering a solo cruise -- others I know have a lack of finances and/or free time.

I would love to give you an opinion, but I need to know more about what you are looking for. What is the length of your cruise preference? Are you quiet or a bit out-going? So far, I do understand that you like sea days. Since both the NCL Epic and Breakaway have solo cabins, there are not many of them and I hear that they sell out quickly.

Hi. I was born in the 1950s, :) but don't hold that against me. I think when it comes to cruising I am more like 22. I love to experience everything about a ship. I do have an affinity for dinner in the Main Dining Room, though. I always seem to meet lots of people on a cruise. I cruise solo for the same reasons as yours for considering a solo cruise -- others I know have a lack of finances and/or free time.

I would love to give you an opinion, but I need to know more about what you are looking for. What is the length of your cruise preference? Are you quiet or a bit out-going? So far, I do understand that you like sea days. Since both the NCL Epic and Breakaway have solo cabins, there are not many of them and I hear that they sell out quickly.

I'd say I'm looking at about a 7 day cruise. Definitely no less than five.

I'm fairly outgoing, but also like to have time to myself, hence having my own cabin will be nice. I went through Europe a few years ago and stayed in hostels and absolutely loved it. We'd meet people at the hostel and then go out with them that night to see the city, which is largely why the concept of the studios and the lounge area they have appeals to me.

I'd say I'm looking at about a 7 day cruise. Definitely no less than five.

I'm fairly outgoing, but also like to have time to myself, hence having my own cabin will be nice. I went through Europe a few years ago and stayed in hostels and absolutely loved it. We'd meet people at the hostel and then go out with them that night to see the city, which is largely why the concept of the studios and the lounge area they have appeals to me.

Although I never stayed in a hostel, to me the Studios seem like a similar concept. Its the same wonderful concept- you just use the pod for sleeping and there is so much to do it creates a whole community.

Due to concert conflicts, missing the Epic this year but I mean it was wonderful. On what other ship do you get such a larger amount of solo travellers.

My ideal time frame for travel is around March/April/May 2013.

I live in New York City

Hi Febtober,

I've been looking for a cruise with almost the same criteria. My last 2 cruises were out of NY and Boston. You can't beat the convienience of not having to fly and pay for hotel.

I'm not single but have more time/money than my cruising companions so was contemplating a solo. Although, I'm still twisting one friends arm to see if she will join me.:rolleyes:

First pick is Breakaway June 9th. They are selling this as a singles cruise on a major online agency. Don't pay a premium to book through them because you'll get to meet the folks anyway by hanging out in the lounge. There is another online site selling the studio for $200 off NCL site price. BUT the best part is the roll call for the cruise is really hopping!:D

Second choice is Breakaway May 19 which has an active roll call too.

Third choice would be Carnival Splendor May 17, extra sea days and ports I haven't been too. But probably wouldn't do Carnival unless my friend decides to come.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Hi Febtober,

I've been looking for a cruise with almost the same criteria. My last 2 cruises were out of NY and Boston. You can't beat the convienience of not having to fly and pay for hotel.

I'm not single but have more time/money than my cruising companions so was contemplating a solo. Although, I'm still twisting one friends arm to see if she will join me.:rolleyes:

First pick is Breakaway June 9th. They are selling this as a singles cruise on a major online agency. Don't pay a premium to book through them because you'll get to meet the folks anyway by hanging out in the lounge. There is another online site selling the studio for $200 off NCL site price. BUT the best part is the roll call for the cruise is really hopping!:D

Third choice would be Carnival Splendor May 17, extra sea days and ports I haven't been too. But probably wouldn't do Carnival unless my friend decides to come.

I might look at the 6/9 as well; depends what the spread is between the 9/15 one. To me this is like the Epic leaving from NYC- best of both worlds as far as I am concerned

Hi Febtober,

Those Breakaway cruises you're talking about are to Bermuda, right? How do you think that itinerary will be? Sitting in the same spot for 3 days seemed a little less fun than hitting multiple destinations.

And while I love that it leaves out of NYC, a studio on those dates is almost double what a studio currently goes for on the Epic in March (I think its last American sailing in the end of April), so even factoring in airfare, that seems pretty steep!

Those Breakaway cruises you're talking about are to Bermuda, right? How do you think that itinerary will be? Sitting in the same spot for 3 days seemed a little less fun than hitting multiple destinations.

And while I love that it leaves out of NYC, a studio on those dates is almost double what a studio currently goes for on the Epic in March (I think its last American sailing in the end of April), so even factoring in airfare, that seems pretty steep!

Yes, the 5/19 and 6/9 dates are Bermuda. I've never been there and probably would never go other than a cruise the hotel and food price if you fly in is extrodanairy. Staying in the same port 3 days can have it's perk of more time to explore. I plan on exploring different beaches with some site seeing.

The studio price on Breakaway is steep but I figure bare bones to get to Epic it's $250 air, $100 Hotel, $100 transportation/parking. So thats $450.

I saw that NCL is having a $100 OBC promotion today for sailings on the Epic, so I went ahead an booked a studio on the Epic for the April 6th sailing from Miami. I'll likely give the Breakaway shot come fall when it does the Bahamas route out of NYC.

Also apparently since I'll be sailing during my birthday, they'll do a little thing in the lounge with cake and whatnot, so I thought that sounded like a fun little touch.

I saw that NCL is having a $100 OBC promotion today for sailings on the Epic, so I went ahead an booked a studio on the Epic for the April 6th sailing from Miami. I'll likely give the Breakaway shot come fall when it does the Bahamas route out of NYC.

Also apparently since I'll be sailing during my birthday, they'll do a little thing in the lounge with cake and whatnot, so I thought that sounded like a fun little touch.

That sounds great!

I have wanted to cruise on my birthday, but I could never find a cruise I really wanted that "sailed" over my birthday. It should be fun for you. I usually cruise on Princess and I think they put a little poster on the cabin day for those with a Birthday or Anniversary during the cruise. Hopefully NCL does the same for you. :cool:

I hope you enjoy your cruise and birthday.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Epic is an excellent choice- I loved it; obviously I haven't been on the Breakaway yet so can not compare the too.

The extra charges in traveling get you to destinations not reachable via NYC on a 7 day cruise

I'll pass along a breakdown of what I rember my travel charges to have been-just as a guide-

Shuttle from SJ to Phila airport $90-round trip

Flight to Miami (December 11) $356

bag $25

shuttle to hotel $18

cab to Epic (from Biscayne Bay Double Tree) $15

Hotel 2 nights $312

cab from Ship to Airport $30

Misc miami Spending $100~

All in all I would say it added $950 in travel costs from NJ

When I did the Jewel from NYC it was

$40 bus

$180 hotel

$220

misc NYC spending ~ $100=$320 total from NJ to NYC-

-I found the extra money spent going to Florida part of the experience.

It gave a greater sense of detachment and was necessary to get to Nassau/St Thomas/St Marteen

I had a deposit for 4/13 but got it refunded due to attending 3 rolling stones shows and the 12/12 concert; I will instead do the breakawy 9/15.

It might be a little bit more relaxing having 3 days in one place- the ports on the Epic were great but it can be tiring doing the 2 days in a row- so this will be a little different

Archived