Black flies in Canada in June?

We're considering taking the Carribbean Princess to New England and Canada in early June. How bothersome are the black flies at that time of year? I'd like to hear from somebody who has cruised in Canada at this time of year.

I am Canadian and we certainly have black flies in June. However they are not usually much of an issue in cities, mostly in the country and in the woods. they are rarely a problem if there is a breeze. So I would think St. John & Halifax would be fine.

Hello, I am also from Canada and have been to Halifax etc. I agree that you may find some but in wooded areas etc not in cities and also agree that with a breeze you will be ok. You may bring some repellent ( I use essential oils- citronella) just in case if you go fly fishing or that kind of excursions. Have a great cruise and welcome to our country!

I'm from Massachusetts but spend lots of time in the Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia areas. The black flies are out in June but I really only notice them when I'm in a wooded area or when we are fresh water fishing. I don't notice them at all in the cities. Have a great time. This is a beautiful area of Canada.

Black flies are only a problem when the air is still and you are in a shaded woody area. Golf courses are full of the pesky creatures. However, the port areas are usually quite breezy and they are not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
We're considering taking the Carribbean Princess to New England and Canada in early June. How bothersome are the black flies at that time of year? I'd like to hear from somebody who has cruised in Canada at this time of year.

Glad you got your answer about the cities vs the country....but Canada is a big country...

Archived