Just returning- thoughts on Bermuda, Internet...

sjde

We are just finishing a cruise to Bermuda on NCL and I have some questions.

Are there any other islands where you aren't being bugged by the locals ..."Lady, want a taxi....lady- want a tour?" It was a pleasure.

Is Bermuda always so hot and humid? It was one of the most uncomfortable places we've been. The ships go from May to Sept.

Only the 2nd day with a Strong breeze was it a little more comfortable.

The new internet plan- we purchased 300 MB for $39 and used it up in 2 days! Just email. A little bit checking Facebook. Generally we are online about 20 minutes a day.So we bought 1000 MB for $89. Then usage really slowed down so I wonder if I had forgotten to turn off wifi once or twice those first few days and that really used up our plan?

There's nothing I've found in the Caribbean that compares to Bermuda for making tourists feel like welcome guests rather than walking ATMs...that's why it's been our island destination choice for more than 25 years.

You probably hit a week with above average temps/humidity...not that Bermuda isn't warm and humid in September, but in my experience no more so than other islands.

I'm guessing you didn't bother to log off between sessions...and if you're talking about an NCL internet plan, you should ask that question on the NCL board. It has nothing to do with Bermuda...it's the ship's plan, and you're more likely to find someone who knows how it works on the NCL board.

We are just finishing a cruise to Bermuda on NCL and I have some questions.

Are there any other islands where you aren't being bugged by the locals ..."Lady, want a taxi....lady- want a tour?" It was a pleasure.

Is Bermuda always so hot and humid? It was one of the most uncomfortable places we've been. The ships go from May to Sept.

Only the 2nd day with a Strong breeze was it a little more comfortable.

The new internet plan- we purchased 300 MB for $39 and used it up in 2 days! Just email. A little bit checking Facebook. Generally we are online about 20 minutes a day.So we bought 1000 MB for $89. Then usage really slowed down so I wonder if I had forgotten to turn off wifi once or twice those first few days and that really used up our plan?

As far as hot and humid as I mentioned in another thread that has not been my experience for the end of September but since I don't live there I don't know what is normal. May and June are pleasant air temperatures but the sea temperature is cool in May.

Didn't have that way of getting billed for internet when I was on Breakaway. I don't like it. Seems like a way to get more revenue than the old way.

As far as not being bothered by the locals. Grand Cayman comes to mind. Also Grand Turk. St. Maartin is not bad either.

I know. I was using Caribbean as a comparison. :eek:

I know you know. I am just highlighting a major reason Bermuda is unique! And you know a lot of people who have never been to Bermuda, who have been to the Caribbean before visiting Bermuda have expectations, of it being like the Caribbean.

I know you know. I am just highlighting a major reason Bermuda is unique! And you know a lot of people who have never been to Bermuda, who have been to the Caribbean before visiting Bermuda have expectations, of it being like the Caribbean.

Yep, someone was disappointed there was no Caribbean music at Harbour Night.:D

I was in Bermuda in late October and early November 2012, and it was wonderful. The water was still warm. The humidity was gone. The temps were in the high 70's to low

80's. It was perfect. But then, Bermuda is perfect any time you go as far as I am concerned. I am truly addicted to that beautiful island.

• 5 months later...

Hi! I have a smartphone and one thing I try to do is turn off cellullar data for applications except for mail. Alot of times these apps will "push" for new data and will eat a data plan alive. Also, I turn it into Airplane mode and then turn it off and "burst" check for emails, news, weather, texts and send messages, then go back to airplane mode. My wife didn't and the plan gleefully billed her. Just a thought.

I would agree that Cayman Is. is another spot where they don't bug you. Same with St. Maarten and Costa Maya, Mexico.

Cozumel was also good. The vendors are out there, but they are quiet and don't get in your face.

Jamaica and Bahamas are the worst in my experience. Labadee, Haiti is just about as bad, but at least the vendors have to stay in their stalls.

My very worst experience - and they were touchy, feely, grabby - was Majajaul - Horrible.

Just goes to show - peoples tolerances and whats really intrusive and rotten vary. Nothing like having a local cop a feel! Would NEVER go back!

I would agree that Cayman Is. is another spot where they don't bug you. Same with St. Maarten and Costa Maya, Mexico.

Cozumel was also good. The vendors are out there, but they are quiet and don't get in your face.

Jamaica and Bahamas are the worst in my experience. Labadee, Haiti is just about as bad, but at least the vendors have to stay in their stalls.