Buffet on boarding day - Oceania Riviera?

mara01

Our first Oceania cruise is rapidly approaching. We have cruised many times on Azamara and for the first 24 hours of each cruise, the buffet is served to help prevent the spread of any potential Norovirus. Once the 'all clear' is given, the buffet becomes self service, usually by lunchtime on the second day. Is this the same on Oceania or is the buffet never self service?

Our first Oceania cruise is rapidly approaching. We have cruised many times on Azamara and for the first 24 hours of each cruise, the buffet is served to help prevent the spread of any potential Norovirus. Once the 'all clear' is given, the buffet becomes self service, usually by lunchtime on the second day. Is this the same on Oceania or is the buffet never self service?

The buffet on Oceania is always served to you. It's. A true class act with no one coughing, sneezing or getting their dirty hands on your food. Enjoy your first O cruise.

The buffet on Oceania is always served to you. It's. A true class act with no one coughing, sneezing or getting their dirty hands on your food. Enjoy your first O cruise.

Just an innocent question...... if someone is coughing or sneezing while standing right in front of the food, how does being served the food that was just sneezed on prevent illness? Hopefully people are covering their noses and mouths. To me the issue is handling the serving utensils.

Just an innocent question...... if someone is coughing or sneezing while standing right in front of the food, how does being served the food that was just sneezed on prevent illness? Hopefully people are covering their noses and mouths. To me the issue is handling the serving utensils.

If the staff see this or are told of a possible comprise they will remove the platter, etc.

I have seen this done when a pax too anxious to wait for their turn reached under the sneeze guard and helped themselves to sliced meats, then placed the tongs into a dish of cold vegetables.

Most people are respectful however the staff will take care of things if needed.

Having cruised for the last 10 years on Regent it took me several meals to get used to the Oceania concept of serving the buffet. Once I stopped the "reach for the spoon" reflex I really enjoyed it. You can ask for more or less as you like. And of course go back for more. It seems not only hygenic but really luxurious.

Handling the serving utensils at the buffet is the easiest way to spread germs and Noro. I love the fact that you may not serve yourself on Oceania. The self service buffet one of the things I dislike about Azamara (I try not to look LOL)

Handling the serving utensils at the buffet is the easiest way to spread germs and Noro. I love the fact that you may not serve yourself on Oceania. The self service buffet one of the things I dislike about Azamara (I try not to look LOL)

tumblr_l5xw01ySeE1qz5q5oo1_500.jpg

None of this would be an issue, if only gloves were still the fashion...

fashion or not, I always bring my white gloves from the dollar store and only touch utensils if I have them on, if I forget them, I use the serviette....

many people look at me with my one glove on my right hand, but when they see why, they inevitably tell me what a good idea...

I bring several of them, after only a couple of days, these white gloves are filthy....a very good sign that they should be worn...

should probably just bring the surgical disposables....but wont have to on O....

it is also our first on O...looking forward to being served...just wonderful....

Having cruised for the last 10 years on Regent it took me several meals to get used to the Oceania concept of serving the buffet. Once I stopped the "reach for the spoon" reflex I really enjoyed it. You can ask for more or less as you like. And of course go back for more. It seems not only hygenic but really luxurious.

Wanted to confirm what Hambagahle is saying....

All parts of the buffet are served. The servers all wear gloves

You can ask for as much or as little as you want.

Sometimes I want "a taste." Sometimes I want "more than a taste." They always oblige.

The servers on Marina are great

gary

For some strange reason the only thing no under the control of the "buffet police" are the baguettes/breads. There are serving tongs for those.

On our last cruise those were also off limits for the first few days ..

much like "code red " on other lines ..a good idea IMO

You never know where people's hands have been & if they even think to wash them before lunch :eek:

We have just returned from our first Oceania cruise. At first I found the serving of food on the buffet a little strange, but after the first day, I welcomed this. I think from a hygenic point of view it is much more sensible, and also I think it stops people piling their plates high with food and then wasting half of it. Yes, you can ask for more or less, but I never say many plates going back with wasted food.