What is the longest cruise you have been on?

Feels Goodman

Also what length would you suggest for a first timer?

In my opininon of course.....

If you are close enough to drive to your departing port, than I would suggest a 7 day cruise. There are much more selections for seven day cruises. And of course you only need to take a week off work. And if you really don`t like it, you would only be stuck there for 7 days.

If you need to take a plane to your departing port, than I would suggest a cruise from 10 to 13. This way you you will get more bang for your buck. In other words, since you are already paying for airfare, you should make your holiday a good two week vacation!

If you leave from a nice port, you can go on a shorter cruise like 10 days, and spend some time before or after at that departing city.

If you really didn`t like it, you would be stuck on the ship for 10 to 13...but I really don't see a reason that you would hate cruising, unless you get seasick very easily. My two cents....

My longest cruise thus far is 13 nighter... but I have a 15 nighter scheduled for this automne.

Try out one of the five day cruises. Most lines offer at least one ship doing four or five day cruises. See if you like it. Celebrity has been offering them pretty darn cheap, I have seen as low as $249...

My longest was 14 nights (on NCL, won't sail NCL again). I have a 13 night coming up in April on Celebrity (10 days are sea days) and am very much so looking forward to it. My partner and I have found that we prefer the sea days best. Since we have sailed to as many places as we have, we have been to most of the ports before and don't do much there anyway.

We are lucky, since he works for an AAirline, airfare doesn't really figure in for us. We pick our cruises based on the ship itself or number of sea days.

Aaron

Our first was a trans pacific. 16 nights. Off on a 20 night one later this year.

Nothing better than knowing you have 6 or more days ahead where time becomes irrelevant and the whole ship takes on a magical atmosphere.

But for a first cruise I'd suggest 7-10 days.

So far our longest is 14 days, loved it!

I too would suggest 7 for a first-timer as I'm just not a fan of the 3-5 nighters. If a shorty cruise is the only viable option, I would highly suggest doing X out of Miami vs. Carnival, NCL or Royal's short cruises.

I too would suggest 7 for a first-timer as I'm just not a fan of the 3-5 nighters. If a shorty cruise is the only viable option, I would highly suggest doing X out of Miami vs. Carnival, NCL or Royal's short cruises.

I agree on the suggestion of a 7-nighter. Anything shorter and I don't think you'll really get the feel of crusing. Also, the short cruises (3-4 nights) have the reputation of being "booze cruises," and not in a good way. I think you'd get a skewed view of cruising (and might not enjoy it).

I think a 7 day cruise is the best and fullest way to experience a cruise. Anything shorter than that goes way too fast. I'd only do shorter than 7 days if time and/or money is an issue. But I don't think I'd recommend anything more than 10 days for my first cruise. First timer should be extra careful in selecting the right cabin, itinerary, cruise line and ship. Do your homework. Read as many reviews here on Cruisecritic about your ship so you know what to expect. Talk to friends, family, co-working and travel professional who have have on cruises and ask a lots of questions. The biggest mistake many first timers do is select the wrong ship and come back disappointed. No two ships are unlike. Quality of food, entertainment, staff including price can vary widely.

I think a 7 day cruise is the best and fullest way to experience a cruise. First timer should be extra careful in selecting the right cabin, itinerary, cruise line and ship. Do your homework. Read as many reviews here on Cruisecritic about your ship so you know what to expect. Talk to friends, family, co-working and travel professional who have have on cruises and ask a lots of questions. The biggest mistake many first timers do is select the wrong ship and come back disappointed. No two ships are unlike. Quality of food, entertainment, staff including price can vary widely.

I completely agree with you! Very sound advice! The more homework you can do, the more you can expect to enjoy your voyage, by making the right choices.

I agree with most other posters: 7 days is a good start. Fewer is way too short to get the feel of a ship and two weeks can be an eternity if you aren't enjoying yourself. Having said that - our first cruise was a HAL 39 day around South America and we have seldom had a better time. That's been followed by a 38 day Princess and a 73 day HAL, along with a number of shorter cruises along the way. And to think we put off cruising for years, certain we would hate it and it was just for "old people."

Oh, and for those still wondering how accepting "straight" cruiselines and passengers are of gays and gay couples, let me just add my two cents: In ten years of cruising, my husband and I have never once been met with anything other than warmth and complete acceptance on every ship we've sailed. If anything, people seem to go out of their way to show just how "cool" they are with gay couples.

But whatever length you choose, go, be yourselves and have the time of your lives.

Brian

Our longest was 35 days (HAL - Voyage of the Vikings) which we loved. I would gladly take a longer one except for a) my partner thought 35 days was plenty and b) it's a long time to be away from our pets. I remember well my feeling when we first went to our cabin -- WOW, 5 weeks without having to plan/cook a meal and no worrying about packing and changing hotel rooms. Sheer bliss!!!

And I concur with the statement about acceptance of gays -- we have also never had any problem. If anything people seem to go out of their way to be friendly.

Oh yes -- I too agree that for the first time 7 days is about right. Consider also that you get a somewhat different mix of passengers depending on length, itinerary and ship size. You pretty well have to be retired to go on a very long cruise and some itineraries attract passengers more interested in seeing the world while others draw people wanting only the "cruise experience". Huge ships attract people who are more interested in having fun on the ship, smaller ships attract people who like to get into smaller and unusual ports.

Read lots on Cruise Critic -- there's a huge amount of information here, most of it really good stuff. Just be prepared for some strong feelings on certain things -- like dress codes!!

...Rick

Remember that your embarkation and disembarkation days count as full days. And because you board in the afternoon of the first day and disembark first thing in the morning on the last day, a 7-day cruise is really five full days.

That said, our longest is an 18-day Transatlantic, and we have booked a 30-day around the horn cruise for December of this year. My first was a 10-day and it was just perfect.

Enjoy!

That said, our longest is an 18-day Transatlantic, and we have booked a 30-day around the horn cruise for December of this year.

The Star, right? Hey, we're going to be aboard, too! Cool!

(Our longest has been 15 days, and I'm really looking to trying a month. So many line dances, so little time.... )

Oh yes -- I too agree that for the first time 7 days is about right. Consider also that you get a somewhat different mix of passengers depending on length, itinerary and ship size. You pretty well have to be retired to go on a very long cruise and some itineraries attract passengers more interested in seeing the world while others draw people wanting only the "cruise experience". Huge ships attract people who are more interested in having fun on the ship, smaller ships attract people who like to get into smaller and unusual ports.

Thanks for this tip. I am wanting to see the world So I will keep this in mind.

Remember that your embarkation and disembarkation days count as full days. And because you board in the afternoon of the first day and disembark first thing in the morning on the last day, a 7-day cruise is really five full days.

Thank you. That is good to know.

I'd also suggest 7 as a first cruise. It's long enough for you to know if you're going to like it - if not, and I can't imagine why not - it's no great loss as you'll be in port most days.

My first was 7 nights, my longest was 17 nights but i've jumped off one 14 nighter straight onto another 14 night voyage on another ship the day i disembarked.

The longer the better as far as i'm concerned. I like having sea days when I can relax and enjoy the facilities the ship offers - that's not really possible on a packed one-week itinerary. Longer cruises do mean older (and more eccentric) passengers. Choosing the correct line and ship is as an important decision as length.

Longest was 64 days on HAL from Seattle to Asia, Australia and South Pacific. As you can see by the list of cruises, we worked our way up to it.

Seven days is a good start. Now we think anything under three weeks is too short. I guess we are really hooked.

Our first cruise was a 3 nighter on one of Carnival's older party ships and it STILL got us hooked, miraculously :D

We've since graduated ourselves to +10 night cruises on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and (if the itinerary is right) NCL.

So, imho, if you'll love cruising, you'll know so immediately, probably the first day. My bf knew after his first jack&coke at the pool bar :rolleyes: (and it took me weeks of nagging to get him to come along in the first place) and all the days afterwards on that first cruise are pure bonus.

Of course, in the unlikely case you turn out to be that rare specimen of someone who absolutely hates cruising, all days after the first one may be pure hell as well :p

First was an 18 night Alaska and Hawaii on Celebrity, Great GLBT group.

Next, 25 night from venice to Rio with HAL. Zero GLBT group although there were a few couples.

14 night Asia with RCL, FoD on the boards but we didn't bother.

12 night Baltic with NCL, again FoD on boards but didn't bother.

We've had no anti-gay feelings on any of the cruises with the exception of our first steward on Celebrity giving off the vibe. We upgraded to a balcony for the 11 night Hawaii part of the cruise so it was no issue. On that cruise we also had some people in front of us turn around and give us death stares then drop out of the formal portrait queue. Losers.

Nothing since then. If anything we have found ourselves the centre of attention cos I lovvvvvvvvvvve to dance, my partner will talk to anyone and we like a drink or 10!

We don't cruise to hang out with other gay people, we do enough of that at home :D but if it happens like it did on our first cruise, we embrace it

Love cruising:)

Longest was 64 days on HAL from Seattle to Asia, Australia and South Pacific. As you can see by the list of cruises, we worked our way up to it.

Seven days is a good start. Now we think anything under three weeks is too short. I guess we are really hooked.

That is one VERY impressive provenance of cruise travel you have. I know who to reach out to when looking for advice!

You've received some good advice from your fellow mates. The only thing I'd like to add is to think about sea days. For me those are the best times of the cruise. Theres nothing like being in the middle of the ocean with only the sea and sky. It's great to sit on deck with a book or to play scrabble or just lounge about. If you're in warm weather the pool is there for you to enjoy. Most lines offer lectures or films or other activities to keep you busy. So, on a shorter cruises there will be fewer days at sea. Hey, but you might prefer a port intensive itinerary. As suggested do your homework. We've sailed from 7 to 35 days. Next up is a 21 day port intensive trip in the Med with just a few sea days.

Archived