HAL vs Princess vs NCL?

PeterF206

We are planning a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Seward/Anchorage in July 2015. Obvious choices (within out price range) are HAL Oosterdam, Grand Princess, or Norwegian Sun. All seem to have their critics and their boosters. Experienced cruisers: Which would you take? NCL includes a view of Hubbard Glacier, which HAL and Princess skip. Thanks for your advice.

"All seem to have their boosters". Very true, and I am sure all will show up here, confirming your statement. And there will be no wrong answer, because it is all subjective.

I will say (we have sailed HAL and Princess, but not NCL) that HAL and Princess have a far larger presence in Alaska, and do Glacier Bay far more than anybody else.

Have to agree with CruiserBruce, that both HAL and Princess are the lines with the most experience in Alaska. NCL is somewhat different kind of cruise line who have made "Freestyle" their motto. This is evidenced by the large number of onboard eating venues...many of which involve additional fees.

There are major differences between the Oosterdam and Grand. While the Oosterdam is considered a medium size ship (by current standards) the Grand is somewhat larger with more amenities. We especially like the Caribe Deck balconies on the Grand, which are somewhat large (for a normal cabin balcony) and are half covered and half out in the open. All things being equal we would probably choose the Grand (and a Caribe deck cabin) assuming you would want to spend time outside on your balcony (it can be chilly up in Alaska). But much would depend on the itinerary. When it comes to Alaska we think that Glacier Bay is a must-see for first time visitors. So choosing a ship that goes into Glacier Bay would be my first priority.

Hank

Bruce and Hank, thanks for your replies. Hank, all 3 lines do Glacier Bay, and NCL adds a view of Hubbard Glacier, which the others do not. I'm not sure what the benefit of "more experience" in Alaska is, if you could please clarify.

We are planning a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Seward/Anchorage in July 2015. Obvious choices (within out price range) are HAL Oosterdam, Grand Princess, or Norwegian Sun. All seem to have their critics and their boosters. Experienced cruisers: Which would you take? NCL includes a view of Hubbard Glacier, which HAL and Princess skip. Thanks for your advice.

Don't discount seemingly more expensive Oceania whose Regatta is small enough (<700 passengers) to maneuver close to the Hubbard Glacier. With "free" air or $ credit, more amenities like "no charge" beverages, specialty restaurants, and, depending on itinerary/dates, gratuities, OBC, etc. (along with more OBC from the right TA), you'll find that the bottom line cost for a 10 day Alaska cruise on O costs about the same as HAL or Celebrity, though with better food and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If some pool time is also important to you, I'd go with HAL as they have a sliding dome over the main pool. It can be chilly in Alaska, even in the summer (note, I said it CAN be, I didn't say it's ALWAYS) and I don't know of anyone who has taken a cruise to Alaska who didn't have some rain or showers during the week.

As to the experience question, many seem to think that they do a better job with shore excursions...but we are non-believers since all the cruise lines generally use the same shore providers. As to the swimming pool issue raised in the last post, the Grand Princess also has a sliding roof over one of their pools. The problem with the Oosterdam is that if you do want to use the indoor pool...good luck on finding a chair. HAL generally has about 50 loungers at the indoor pool which is just not enough for 1800 passengers. HAL likes to use a good portion of that covered pool space for tables and chairs. When we cruised on the Westerdam last year (spent about 52 days on that ship) which is one of the sister ships of the Oosterdam (will be on that ship next week) we were shocked at how few loungers HAL put at that pool. The chairs were all gone by 7:30am and folks complained. One senior officer explained that the chair configuration was dictated by the home office :(. Not sure the Grand does much better in that they do cram in more loungers, but there are also more on the ship. But we love the Grand Class ships for their Caribe Deck balconies and the expansive deck space. Based on our most recent experience (2 long HAL cruises and a 25 day Princess cruise within the last 10 months) we must give the edge to Princess when it comes to food and entertainment. But these kind of things are always changing so there is no way to predict how things will be next year.

Perhaps you should just let the price be your decision maker.

Hank

I've been on all 3 lines, including having just sailed HAL Zuiderdam to Alaska.

First, pool chairs. Zuiderdam is a sister ship to Oosterdam. Don't worry about loungers on an Alaskan itinerary. Pool lounging isn't exactly on everyone's priority list in Alaska. On my cruise, there were always loungers open at the covered pool. Actually, for that itinerary, I thought the area was very comfortable having tables/chairs instead of loungers. It basically felt like a casual lounge with a pool in it. ;)

But that aside, I'd say it's 50/50 between HAL and Princess to Alaska. I like both cruise lines. I think the food and entertainment is better on Princess, but I think the rooms are more comfortable and larger on HAL.

NCL, I'm not as much a fan of. I'm giving their new ship a try next year only because I'm joining friends and family, but I will never sail anything other than their new ships again. I've just had too many negative experiences with NCL.

These responses are very helpful. We're not "pool people" generally and it's not a priority for us on the cruise. The reviews of food quality on Oosterdam are troubling. Price point isn't going to be a factor, since they're all within the same range. Norwegian Sun seems to get consistently higher reviews for quality/friendliness of staff. Keep the comments coming!

These responses are very helpful. We're not "pool people" generally and it's not a priority for us on the cruise. The reviews of food quality on Oosterdam are troubling. Price point isn't going to be a factor, since they're all within the same range. Norwegian Sun seems to get consistently higher reviews for quality/friendliness of staff. Keep the comments coming!

If by friendliness of staff, they may mean a more casual and relaxed attitude of servers, that could be. But I've never had anything other than great (and smiling) service on Princess and HAL.

If you're comparing the lines, I believe NCL has usually gotten the lowest marks of the three on food -- unless you're planning to eat most of your meals in the extra-cost specialty restaurants.

Wonder why you didn't include Celebrity in the mix? I would rate them above HAL, Princess and NCL. Having said that, I'm a big fan of taking one line "northbound" and a different line "southbound", mixing in some time in the mainland of Alaska.

Celebrity and HAL is a great mix because you get as many different ports as possible, and they provide a bit more up-scale feel.

You really can't make a mistake with any of these lines!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

OP -- As you can see from the responses, you are getting ATTABOYS for the various posters favorite cruise lines.

I have sailed all the cruise lines you mention, and there is not a bit of difference in the service and food you will receive. Choose the line that best suits your desires, and enjoy your cruise.

Again- look at O for food, service, ship size and comparable pricing IF you (or your TA) know how to put the right deal together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums