Black man in a kilt?

Repsol Rod

Wonder if he ever wore it?

How not to wear a kilt..............

:D See - I'm already hiding under my desk.....

Noooooooooo - :o

Only problem when my husband wears his kilt is that I might as well be wearing a black garbage can liner - I have thought of renting him out to the photgraphers for the evening due to the volume of people who want to have their picture taken with him. I wear a plaid over a one shouldered evening dress which matches his kilt - but for sure - he gets all the attention ;)

I see now this thread was very old - what a pity we didnt get to see the said gentleman's attire - might have been interesting :)

The thing with a kilt is that the fabric pattern (the tartan) identifies one as a member of a particular clan. My family's clan, for example, is the Wilson family, and they appear to have been a bunch of colorblind folks. The colors in the swatch aren't quite right - it's more aqua and orange sherbet than what shows, really awful stuff. But I digress.

So you don't "need" to be a Scot or of Scottish descent (but I'm thinking that most of the people in those pictures are - Taye Diggs is wearing something godawful that I don't think qualifies, and Samuel L. Jackson just looks ridiculous IMHO, as does the bimbo he's posing with), but you will be in a pretend costume if you do.

WilsonOC.jpg

I'd laugh my butt off. But then, I'm such a mutt that I'm visualizing somebody in a kilt wearing headfeathers and a dashiki.

this is also my Tartan...

Might I add, (I didn't elaborate earlier because I didn't think people were going to get "all up in arms") the guy I saw on the cruise ship was a NATURAL red headed freckled faced black guy (aren't Irish people known for being redheads?). His mother was black and his dad was a white guy that he didn't say too much about. I could just tell he loved his mom and she loved him. He and I actually discussed it the next morning at breakfast. Soooo, he very well could have been half Irish and that may have been why he wore the kilt. maybe he should have put his african tribes Kente print on one half and his Irish clans Tartan on the other. Ain't that America....Gotta love it!!!!

Sorry but I cringe (deeply) when I see men on cruise ships wearing kilts unless they are Scots

They never have a REAL kilt - most are polyester/wool blend with wide pleats, cut at the wrong length, and worn with all the wrong accessories. As a Scots woman - I am proud of my husband wearing his kilt - which - is hand made, as are all of my family's kilts, by my sister in law.

We can spy "an ootsider" kilt a mile off...

and it doesnt wear well....

Don't do it...:rolleyes:

Hi Blondie008

Where is the name of your SIL's company? My other half is looking for a new kilt for our upcoming cruise.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app

Hi Blondie008

Where is the name of your SIL's company? My other half is looking for a new kilt for our upcoming cruise.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app

Hi - she doesnt have a company - does them really for pleasure now a labour of love! - but if you want to message me an email address, I can pass it to her, she may well cost it for you. Im not sure how messaging works on cc? She's amazing - her kilts are perfection - all hand stitched and "sway" beautifully... :)

I danced with a cute red headed black guy on a cruise a couple of years back. Now, he was gay and fierce with great fashion sense and attitude, so he pulled it off well. Of course he did not go commando underneath, he wore a FABULOUS RED THONG...lol.

Wow, you must have been looking for "Kilt Threads"....this one is

5 years old;)

Oh! I hope he wore a kilt! When done properly, these are the most attractive formal wear. *le sigh* My husband wore one to our wedding. On that day, he looked especially sexy, dapper, gallant, and extra gentlemanly. All the best bits of mens formal wear! ;)

A tip (not meant to be an overtly inappropriate advert):

If you are cruising out of Vancouver, House of McLaren offers really good quality rentals and are right by the port (purchasing a proper, includes everything, formal kilt can be a little pricey). It's wear my husband goes for all his kilty needs. Plus the proprietor is a really nice scottish lady (I adore her, she is very sweet). Google and you will find their website.

:D See - I'm already hiding under my desk.....

Noooooooooo - :o

Only problem when my husband wears his kilt is that I might as well be wearing a black garbage can liner - I have thought of renting him out to the photgraphers for the evening due to the volume of people who want to have their picture taken with him. I wear a plaid over a one shouldered evening dress which matches his kilt - but for sure - he gets all the attention ;)

I see now this thread was very old - what a pity we didnt get to see the said gentleman's attire - might have been interesting :)

I can totally relate with you! My husband wears the MacDonald modern with Bonnie Prince Charles jacket and waistcoat with all the accessories. He wears a flyplaid as well in honour of his father and looks positively dashing .. ergo .. he attracts lots of looks and requests for photos. I too, wear a matching plaid over one shoulder, but as you stated, they certainly do get all the attention!

• 6 months later...

The thing about wearing Highland dress is that it a National Dress and not "Fancy Dress" or a fashion item. I wear my full Highland dress for formal nights and as a Scot I wear it with pride. Now, while I am not really bothered about people wearing kilts who are not Scottish born and bred in order to celebrate their "heritage", it does seem a bit pointless. One thing that should be remembered is that "Clan Tartans" are an invention of Sir Walter Scott and clans did not wear specific tartans to identify themselves or their families. Scots would wear any plaid that was available and it was the English "lairds" who latched onto Scott's stories and started to wear particular tartans. The same goes for "trews" or tartan trousers, which no self respecting Scotsman would wear ( yes I know they are worn in the Army but that is an English invention ). It does make me chuckle when I see guys in kilts and they either have cheap polyester versions or they have no idea how to wear the kilt. Having said all that, if you want to wear a kilt then feel free ( and you will, I can guarantee that!)

I am married to a scot, and for our daughters wedding 10 of the men wore kilts including my 8 year old grandson. They all looked amazing and it made for some fantastic photos. My husband was the only scot and all the others were English . The only reason my husband doesn't wear one on formal night is the weight of it all, a tux is much easier when you are flying to port. If you want to wear one wear it I am sure you will look fabulous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks again, everyone, for you encouragement, for setting me straight on some things, and for the courtesy shown toward one another through this thread. You all are a class act!

The wifey agreed to a test fitting to determine if this is a look I can pull off. I'll let you all know.

Repsol

Repsol,

If the famous fashion designer Marc Jacobs can wear them, so can you!:D He wears them very often. Not the whole kit but just the kilt. That picture that someone posted of Ashton Kutcher is how some guys have tried the fashion trend...but as you can see from his picture it's not a kit.

I think if you feel comfortable in one and can handle the fact that you will stand out and may be asked some impertinent questions...I say go for it.

And, please do post some pictures!

PS - Your wife sounds like a good sport! I hope you both have an awesome cruise.

Repsol,

If the famous fashion designer Marc Jacobs can wear them, so can you!:D He wears them very often. Not the whole kit but just the kilt. That picture that someone posted of Ashton Kutcher is how some guys have tried the fashion trend...but as you can see from his picture it's not a kit.

I think if you feel comfortable in one and can handle the fact that you will stand out and may be asked some impertinent questions...I say go for it.

And, please do post some pictures!

PS - Your wife sounds like a good sport! I hope you both have an awesome cruise.

Hi Mousey:) the original poster started this thread in 2008....he

never came back in the last 6 years..........you asked for photos?

I wonder if he even cruises anymore.

Hi Mousey:) the original poster started this thread in 2008....he

never came back in the last 6 years..........you asked for photos?

I wonder if he even cruises anymore.

OMG! I didn't even look at the date! Duh!:o Thanks for telling me this, I'd still be waiting for pictures! :D

• 1 year later...

I'm afraid I have been terribly remiss. I've just been reading through this post - also looking for the photos that I promised - only to learn I didn't follow through. I can't imagine why:(

I'll have to search the archives now but, for what it's worth, I must make good on this.

So, these are the only two photos I could find. Many were taken that night but when the photo package was purchased, an entire block had been omitted. The block containing most of the kilt pics.

Though it's been 7 years, I remember it being a wonderful evening with many positive comments.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=35039

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=35038

Jamaica is considered a Latin American Country. Also, Latin American countries are not characterized just by being Spanish speaking but Portugese.

So what language do they speak in Jamaica, do you think? :D

Portuguese and Spanish are both derived from Latin thanks to the mighty Roman empire.

I would be surprised if I saw a black man wearing a kilt, less so if he spoke with a Scottish accent. On a recent cruise, a short blond white man wore Bermuda shorts with long socks and black shoes. It looked strange because we were in Asia and the guy was French. He could have worn Lederhosen or a kilt for all I care.