Ports of call - how many ships

Treaclecruiser

Doesn't really matter...the ports can handle the amount of ships they allow at one time! And, it's not just ship passengers, but all the folks who take land based vacations! The number of ships will not affect your good time at all.

Just so you know, it's helpful in planning what you want to do for the day. For instance, on our upcoming cruise there will be 5 ships that day in one of our ports. We are electing to take a ferry to another island. The number of ships in port absolutely affects the number of passengers in the downtown area, leading to congestion, long lines, etc. etc - I can't believe you would say otherwise.

On the subject of how many cruise ships dock at a certain port, go to Google Maps and check the satellite view of George Town Caymon Islands . There are 4 cruise ships there at one time. Might be a little crowded on shore....

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

While the islands can handle it, I prefer to know so I can make the best decisions for my vacation. For instance, we will be going to St. Maarten next year and there will be five ships in port. Knowing that, I won't bother with Maho Beach as it will be standing room only. In addition, I will be sure to reserve our private tour well in advance as there will be a lot of competition looking for tours.

Www.cruisett.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I know I'm not the only one who's found mistakes on this site.

Here's my suggestion: try googling the name of the port and add "cruise ship calendar". Many port sites will have a calendar listing the ships scheduled.

On the subject of how many cruise ships dock at a certain port, go to Google Maps and check the satellite view of George Town Caymon Islands . There are 4 cruise ships there at one time. Might be a little crowded on shore....

You do know that is a Google Earth shot that never changes, right? There may be more, there may be fewer ships on any given day. :)

You do know that is a Google Earth shot that never changes, right? There may be more, there may be fewer ships on any given day. :)

Yes I do :D Just seemed strange that the day they took the picture there were 4 ships there. Looking at the Port Of New Orleans, Google Maps shows a Carnival ship docked there. Wonder which one....

Yes I do :D Just seemed strange that the day they took the picture there were 4 ships there. Looking at the Port Of New Orleans, Google Maps shows a Carnival ship docked there. Wonder which one....

Google Earth is phenomenal. We love researching all our ports before we go - helps us get a lay of the land, and see how far away the beach is, or whatever. I just looked at Santorini, Greece and there were 4 ships tendering that day too. :)

Google Earth is phenomenal. We love researching all our ports before we go - helps us get a lay of the land, and see how far away the beach is, or whatever. I just looked at Santorini, Greece and there were 4 ships tendering that day too. :)

I agree. Used Google Maps satellite view to see the route I have to drive to get to the "Whale" parking lot in NOLA. Makes navigating so much easier :D

I agree. Used Google Maps satellite view to see the route I have to drive to get to the "Whale" parking lot in NOLA. Makes navigating so much easier :D

By the way (did I already tell you this??) - the whale parking lot is right next to where Serenade docks. You can absolutely park and then just walk across the street to embark. There will be porters at the entrance (just after you cross the railroad tracks) to take your luggage. It's wonderfully close. :)

By the way (did I already tell you this??) - the whale parking lot is right next to where Serenade docks. You can absolutely park and then just walk across the street to embark. There will be porters at the entrance (just after you cross the railroad tracks) to take your luggage. It's wonderfully close. :)

The convenience of being near the cruise terminal is why I'm planning to park my car there. $16 per day seems steep, but the convenience, plus the lot is run by the city and is patrolled and monitored I think makes it a bargain.

Some earlier mentioned the lot being by a mural of whales. I used Google Maps street view and scanned around the area, and lo and behold, Whales :D