Single Occupancy/Solo Cruisers (MERGED)

Hello Mr. Shanks,

Firstly, may I say that I am a big fan and supporter of Cunard. I work in the travel industry and really appreciate the wonderful service I have received onboard on my occasions to be so.

I recently took a westbound Transatlantic Crossing to New York and was taking the trip by myself. Whilst I note that this is my decision to do, I do feel rather penalised by Cunard for the level at which you peg your single occupancy rates. I understand, in the most part, the reasoning for single occupancy supplements, to make up for some of the lost additional revenue that another passenger would bring in additional onboard spend. However, surely, the lack of additional service and catering by not having the second person in the stateroom also makes the point that, maybe your 175% or 200% single occupancy rates are just a bit too high? Taking into consideration other cruise lines, who, either provide solo accommodation, or price at a more reasonable supplement, does make me consider choosing another line for my future travel plans.

I was recently very lucky to bring some of your guests home from San Francisco on one of my flights, and they were all singing the praises of the crew and service onboard the Queen Victoria, and I was very pleased to hear this. One couple have booked the full 2014 World Cruise on the QE/QV, changing ship in Australia. We were chatting about this, and that I had considered a World Cruise sector, from New York to San Francisco in 2014, and as much as in my heart, I want to click on the "Book Now" button on your website, the cost of over £5,000 for single occupancy Ocean view stateroom is just too much.

I believe you do deliver a quality product in the main, however the premium for a solo passenger is just too high.

Again, I am a big fan and recommend Cunard whenever I can to anyone who will listen.

I sincerely appreciate your time and reply to my post.

Warm Regards,

T5
:)

In relation to Cunard Single occupancy Question.
Last November Cunard did an exceptional deal for singles with a btb Transatlantic priced at around £749 Southampton to Southampton on QM2
I was unable to take advantage of that price as I had already booked weeks earlier on a Getaway fare. In the UK we have a very unfair booking policy where I am to believe that USA booking policy with TA's allows passengers to cancel free of charge and to rebook if the price falls. Hence the reason why in the UK we are unable to use the USA booking engine.
I appreciate that you have the Vantage fairs and Getaway fares, But can you use the Future cruise down payment when purchased on board for obc off a Getaway fare or a fare paid to a Travel agent ? Also can you use Shareholders discount of a Getaway fare or fare paid to a TA when booked through them ?
With todays population becoming more singles people, are their any plans for Cunard to adopt a more friendly user policy towards singles?
Regards

[quote name='T5LHR']
I believe you do deliver a quality product in the main, however the premium for a solo passenger is just too high.
[/QUOTE]

I have sailed solo on Cunard more than a dozen times and have a good 30 years of traveling life ahead of me. I routinely pay 175% of the per-person double occupancy fare, but all I get is the room to myself. I only get one person's onboard credit and other perks. Wouldn't it be more fair to give 175% of the onboard credit to a passenger paying 175% of the fare?

Juliecat

I understand why single occupancy rates have to be charged.....but would it not make sense to reduce this significantly in the short term before a cruise begins, if cabins are available?

If space is available, say, 2 weeks before sailing, you must have a fairly good prediction on how many will sell in that period, and, rather than sailing with empty cabins, surely better to have a solo person in there?

A single person is MORE likely to book excursions,one of the bigger revenue generators!

Cruising is the ideal holiday for a solo traveller....making it a little more affordable will bring you new business. The %age of people who are single is growing year on year and it is surely a market still to be tapped.

I recently experienced my first Cunard cruise and long to return but this supplement puts it out of reach most of the time.

Thank you

Good day Mr Shanks.:)
What are Cunard's feelings about Solo cruisers?
Will you ever have Solo cabins?
Do you agree that it is fair for solo passengers who stay in Balcony cabins that they should pay for the invisible second person in other words the same as a couple?
There are many widows and widowers like myself that used to vacation as a couple but now are solo.
Mr Shanks please don't just say buddy up with a friend I snore LOUDLY.
I awaite your reply.
Sincerely.....Kruisey

Let's harken back to the days of the QE2 which haf a variety of solo cabins in several categories. Took four cruises on this queen but only one on QM2 due to pricing.

I agree with the post noting that a solo does not eat twice the food, require twice the linen, twice the luggage handling, etc., etc. We do pay twice the price and should receive twice whatever a double would receive in perks.

Dear Mr Shanks, just another question about solo charges. Not only do you most times charge up to 100% solo supplement but I have also noticed that your Cunard online website now charges flights for 2 person even though you are booking for a solo. Is this not this being a bit greedy and unfair to solo passengers ?

Thank you for your kind comments T5LHR - the crew onboard our ships are wonderful people and it is they who lie behind our success. I was delighted to hear that some of the passengers you were giving great service to on one of your flights mentioned our people. Thank you. The Single Occupancy area is a tricky one. We all build our ships with cabins for two people - and so if only one person goes in they really have to pay twice as much - that is the simple truth - but I really do understand how difficult that is for some of our single guests. We are working on bringing out more 'special offers' for single travellers. And as we plan future refits we are scouring every inch of or ships to see if we can find sime additional space to build some single cabins. We will keep working on it. Best Regards. Peter

It was bad enough when we single passengers had to pay the extra 100%. Now we have to pay MORE than that. At the moment single passengers cannot book Getaway cruises, so have to take the more expensive Vantage fares.

One example I checked up on today. On the same voyage in a balcony cabin, a single person would pay £2886 while a couple would pay £2398. Single occupancy therefore costs more than two people have to pay between them.

Dreadful!

[quote name='Peter Shanks']We all build our ships with cabins for two people - and so if only one person goes in they really have to pay twice as much - that is the simple truth - but I really do understand how difficult that is for some of our single guests. [/quote]

So do we get the double service on board then? I mean, paying for an invisable second person, sorry but I can't call it anything else than quiet ridiculous. It's pure discrimination for solo travellers. Thát is the simple truth! Me for example, can't afford that kind of money right now. I'm dying to get on board for a Transatlantic cruise, but because I don't have an extremely high income, I have to save money for about a year or two to travel, because of the 200%! Bringing someone with me won't do, because nobody I know wants to. And I don't think I'd enjoy spending a week in a stateroom with a complete stranger.

[quote name='Michelle25490']So do we get the double service on board then? ...[/QUOTE]

If only. The only time I've had special service as a solo traveller was checking in for my last cruise. I was given a card for the next group to be called to check in, whereas a couple who arrived at the same time was given a card that meant waiting an hour or so. The woman at the entrance must have taken pity on me and thought it was not fair to make me sit all alone in a crowd at the terminal.

Slightly off topic but related- why does Cunard not offer a discount for a third person in a cabin? Every other cruise line I have sailed on does. It's not right to charge full price for a third person who is sleeping on the couch.

[quote name='juicyjuju']Slightly off topic but related- why does Cunard not offer a discount for a third person in a cabin? Every other cruise line I have sailed on does. It's not right to charge full price for a third person who is sleeping on the couch.[/quote]

They do, or used to! Two friends and I shared a cabin on the maiden voyage of QE for that very reason - it was cheaper for three of us to share than two.

On the single traveller issue, that is why I haven't travelled on Cunard since 2010. It has been much better value to travel on other lines - even other Carnival lines, than on Cunard and money is tighter these days.

[quote name='Host Sharon']They do, or used to! Two friends and I shared a cabin on the maiden voyage of QE for that very reason - it was cheaper for three of us to share than two.

On the single traveller issue, that is why I haven't travelled on Cunard since 2010. It has been much better value to travel on other lines - even other Carnival lines, than on Cunard and money is tighter these days.[/quote]

Host Sharon, I believe that Cunard does offer reduced rates for third passenger in a cabin on certain voyages, for those cabin categories that accommodate third passengers. But yes, I understand that other ships in the Carnival feet charge far less than Cunard fares. There are bargains to be had - but we get what we pay for (hopefully). Regards, -S.

[quote name='Salacia'] But yes, I understand that other ships in the Carnival feet charge far less than Cunard fares. There are bargains to be had - but we get what we pay for (hopefully). Regards, -S.[/quote]

I agree we get what we pay for - within reason though. Looking to other lines - I have picked up a Oceania Cruises bargain (IMO anyway) and from what I hear they are certainly equal to Cunard in ambiance and service with the bonus of a small ship (which I love). There are lines out there that value solo cruisers a little more - that's all.

On every cruise I have been with on Cunard with my daughter (since she turned two) or every cruise I have received a quote on, I have been quoted the full rate when my hubbie and I and she travel as a threesome. There may be occasional specials but it's not the norm.....and that's not the norm in the cruise industry to charge the full rate for a third person in the cabin. If there is a travel agent out there who can comment on this and tell me this has changed, I would love to hear it.

Archived