Wheelchair Accessible Excursions

Could you please explain what steps and processes are taking in trying to research wheelchair accessible shore excursion? Why do the Excusion staff actively discourage wheelchair users to not disembark in certain ports.
An example was in Tenerife. As the ship was last to dock it was at the end of the very long pier. Shuttles were laid on because not only the length of the pier but also a quarter of a mile detour due to roadworks.
My wife in her electric wheelchair had no choice but to set off down the pier and detour. I could boarded the shuttle but I do not leave her on her own in a strange country.
Has any thought been given to actually employing disabled people to actually try out ports. We are very independent and do not take no for any answer.
Upon our return, we found out at Carnival HQ that P&O do their best to provide excursions but not Cunard who are in the same group.
By the way all credit to staff on the QV who made us extremely well looked after on board. The only exception is the shore excursion staff but its not their fault if they cannot offer anything.
I would welcome your comments.

Archived