Does medicine have to stay in its original bottles?

crazycruzer68

Why are you taking pills? Can you live without them? Would you be in pain without them? If you don't have them, what will happen? What adverse effects will you go through?

If it is pills simply to help with high cholesterol and you can do without, or is it heart medicine?

The reason I'm saying this, is because medicine when traveling should always be carried in an original bottle, with the prescription info on it.

However, if you feel comfortable, that you will not accidently loose it, drop it, get lost in luggage, spill it down the drain, misplace it, or have it stolen and your life will not be risked if you don't have it, than carry it anyway you want, but if you depend on it for you life, than just carry the bottles with you. I see no reason to even ask the question, since medicine is way too important for many people.

Yes, you can go 18 times with no problems, like one poster said, just like you can get in a car for 18 years without an accident. So the 19 cruise, you leave your pill box in the car, lost in luggage or drop it in the sink than what?

I put things like vitamins, advil, ginger pills, pepcid, etc. in smaller bottles or baggies. Any narcotic /controlled substance (Xanax, or the time I shattered my arm 4 days before vacation and needed oxycodone for vacation) stays in the original prescription bottle. I don't want to take a chance that a drug sniffing dog smells them and then I have no proof that they're mine.

If you take a controlled medication like xanax, adderall or vicodin, best to travel with it in either the original pharmacy bottle with label, with a print out from the pharmacy of the label info.

Other stuff, not so much.

In case of illness or loss of medications might be a good idea to have a print out from your doctor which lists your ongoing medical conditions and current medications.

I have been on 18 cruises so far and have just brought with me my weekly pill dispenser and no bottles. Never had a problem

This!

I put them in an organizer, and keep a print out of what they are in case I am questioned. No one has ever asked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And this! And I always take an extra week of pills (in another organizer) "just in case." Always carry your meds in your carryon - do not put them in your checked luggage.

I realize a LOT of people do not take an original bottle with them. Easiest thing to do is have the pharmacy label a duplicate bottle and use the smallest bottle they have. I have never had a pharmacy refuse to label an additional bottle.

This is exactly what I do. This way, I also have the full script information handy (doctor's name, pharmacy info, medicine info), in case it is needed. Always bring extra - just in case; and, if there is any chance you will extend your vacation out, bring enough to cover that extra time too. I made that mistake only once.

I always bring mine in the original bottles. I dump some at home in older bottles from the same medication. When If I go to the beach or something like that for a day while at home, I put one of each pill in the same bottle. It is against the law to do that. I know it is but it would be easier to prove they are all prescribed to me here than far away on vacation. People do go to jail for having prescribed drugs on them without being in the correct bottle especially if it's a narcotic. Play it safe!

Half the people will tell you one thing, half will tell you the other! I generally put a weeks worth in the weekly pill case, but also pack the bottles in case of emergency or I'm asked about them.

only for narcotics.

Always best to carry prescription medication in a bottle with an original prescription label, especially when traveling internationally.

I fill my prescriptions in 90 day supplies, and obviously don't take three months worth away with me when I go on a one week trip - my pharmacist will print out an extra prescription label and put it on an empty pill bottle for me - I just take as many pills as I'll need (and a few extra in case of a travel delay) in that bottle.

Edited by cmich068

A couple of years ago my daughter and mine's room was one of the two "chosen" rooms on the ship to have to go through the thorough custom's screening process when leaving the ship.

I always use the one week pill dispenser...mainly because sometimes I forget whether or not I've taken my pills sometimes, and also because, due to my insurance coverage, I have to do the mail order which sends large bottles to cover a 3-month supply.

Anyways...the customs personnel scrutinized my pill case. Thankfully they let me go, but was basically told to consider myself lucky as I could have gotten into trouble. They were very nice about it....but it had me shaken in my shoes for a minute or two.

They also questioned my daughter's carton of cigarettes she bought on the ship. Something about them (can't remember exactly what they had said) could have also given us issues. Thankfully she has since quit smoking so we won't have to worry about it on our Christmas cruise! :D