How do you Dunn's it?

youknownothingjonsnow

Heading to Jamaica for the 1st time in January. Many threads on the boards say Dunn's River Falls is a MUST. We're going to try it. But what's the best option in getting there?

Carnival offers an expensive excursion... Thinking I may have to go that route, since I'm not an experienced traveler and Jamaica doesn't have the safest reputation among tourists.

We are going in April and dock in Montego Bay. I booked this excursion because it is almost 1.5 hours each way. The excursion is listed as 7.5 hour travel time includedI was scared we would not make it back in time. Booked through Carnival they have to wait for you. I booked Dunn's and dolphin encounter across the road from the falls. This is our first cruise.

IF you are going to visit Ocho then I'd say DRF is the thing to do. If visiting other than Ocho, I would NOT ride a bus long enough to get there ....

Speaking from a 'visiting OCHO' perspective .....

I've never done DRF as an excursion - always DIY - MANY times since mid 80's

taxi is kinda $$ given the short distance (a mile) but that's the way it is - you pay for a round trip .. tell the driver what time you want to leave ... he'll try to tell you. Don't worry .. if your driver does not show, the dispatcher knows you paid round trip and will just put you in a different ride

you can use plastic for the admission charge - admission is for all day in the park. Climbing the falls is included.

For locker, snacks and if you decide to use a guide bring some small bills. US is fine . . .

Rates For Dunn's River Falls & Park

Non-Resident Adults - US$20

Non-Resident Children (2-11 years) - US$12

http://www.dunnsriverja.com/

*** note DRF is a national park and the 'falls' is just a part. Your admission is for the entire day .... 'climbing the falls' is included in basic admission. Why do I mention this? Cuz your ride is going to calculate your stay time on the cruise ship schedule of climb one time with a guide then leave.

We stay all day. There are lockers and 'refreshments' and gardens and a beach in addition to the falls. AND shopping but that is a topic on its own . .

We don't use 'guides' to climb. Altho I recommend a first timer use a guide for their first climb ..... then do it again on your own and have MORE fun

Go up the middle!

drf8.jpg

drf5.jpg

drf4.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

It's been several years since we went to Jamaica but when docking in Ocho Rios we hired a driver for the day. It was reasonable...maybe 100 dollars if I recall correctly. Anyway, he not only took us to the falls (arriving way before the cruise-ship crowds) but also arranged an hour guided hike through the rain forest (25$ for the guide), a visit to a botanical garden (we paid admission fee there), a stop for lunch (we treated him) and finally a free tour of the pottery factory. A great way to spend the day.

We booked Dunns River Falls with Phil Lafayette out of Ocho Rios . He was great. Air conditioned van. About 10 of us on the van. Very knowledgeable. Felt safe the entire time. We also floated the White River after the falls before heading back to the ship. Highly recommend this personable native tour guide.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

if docking in Ocho rios, just take a taxi right outside the port. don't let everyone scare you about the people of Jamaica, though no matter where you go, you need to vigilant about your safety and scams. it's a very short ride from the ship to the falls and the entry fee is nominal compared to what the ship charges! get a tour guide for the falls and enjoy your day!! it's very beautiful!!

I would not recommend going it alone.

Sorry but this is one of those places that I do not feel safe and I have traveled most of the world.

Keith

I agree with this great advice.

When you book a ships tour then you will be with others from your sailing, and you have someone who knows where you are, and the tours have met some standards of service (although sometimes you wonder but still).

Yea they can cost more, but I would still go with the ships tour.

Safe travels.

if someone would recommend staying on the ship I believe we'll have covered every possible option . . .

Keith ... I've traveled all over Jamaica: Ocho, Montego Bay, Kingston, Port Antonio, Negril and many places in between. Spent many days and nights and SELDOM had an organized tour or a guide (as I got more senior, official visits arranged by the Embassy usually provided a vehicle and driver but I digress). I NEVER had a problem INCLUDING the time when I arrived in Kingston at 8 PM and needed to get to Port Antonio by 6AM. Took a taxi across the island in the middle of the night finally arriving in the wee hours .. we stopped for refreshment a time or two . . . just me and the driver .... You are playing into people's fears and well, I wish you wouldn't do that. I've spent some quality time bumming around Haiti too . . .

I regret many people don't feel safe in JA ... there is a factor in their culture that makes 'bargaining' a pretty vocal exercise with lots of hand/arm movement. It is not an attack .... just their way. And yes ganga it still pretty common - almost as bad as some States! With that in perspective, I usually feel safer in JA than I do anywhere in NYC! Even having grown up in Chicago . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 1 month later...
I would take a ships tour.

Keith

And you would climb the falls in a huge line of people all holding hands.

We had a private tour and arrived just as the park was opening. My family of 4 climbed the falls (with a guide) alone. As we reached the top other groups started to arrive. We stayed and watched a bit as the ships tours arrived and were so thankful to have experienced the falls without a pack.

We never felt concerned for our safety.

I agree only worth doing if docking in O.R.

Edited by monicajay

• 1 month later...

We did it, docked from Mo Bay. It is doable, but your time to tour the island would be limited. We did Dunn's, stopped for lunch and headed straight back. We've been to Jamaica several times, so touring was not important to us, but to others it may be. I agree with others, best from Ocho