Two nights in Vancouver

I'm doing Alaska in July and need to stay in Vancouver for two nights. Going solo. Departing cruise port in Vancouver and then taking a bus from Vancouver to Seattle cruise port.

Looking for a budget option. Don't mind sharing bathroom in B and B. Don't mind public transportation when I don't have luggage.

Your best bet would be the YWCA hotel - it's in a good safe area of the downtown core, lots of restaurants etc close by - only a short taxi ride - about $10.00.

You are close to transit etc

Here's the link:

http://ywcavan.org/hotel

Vancouver is very busy in July so make you booking as far ahead as possible.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

I'm doing Alaska in July and need to stay in Vancouver for two nights. Going solo. Departing cruise port in Vancouver and then taking a bus from Vancouver to Seattle cruise port.

Looking for a budget option. Don't mind sharing bathroom in B and B. Don't mind public transportation when I don't have luggage.

Can you share your Vancouver hotel dates? May need to rethink your accommodations as there are seasonal downtown firework congestion during the month.

• July 1st lights up the cruise terminal and Stanley Park
  • July 23, 27, and 30th has the Celebration of lights with evening road closures.

I'd second Dennis with the YWCA. Safe, clean, cheap as mince especially with the shared bath rooms.

We stayed in it ourselves on our vacation here before moving, and the location is vastly superior to the Barclay for seeing the sights (the streets around the Barclay are very pleasant, lots of trees and and some of the other historic homes can be visited like Roedde House, but it's just a bit too far away from Gastown, Chinatown, Yaletown for convenient walking).

Your best bet would be the YWCA hotel - it's in a good safe area of the downtown core, lots of restaurants etc close by - only a short taxi ride - about $10.00.

You are close to transit etc

Here's the link:

http://ywcavan.org/hotel

Vancouver is very busy in July so make you booking as far ahead as possible.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

I booked this one, too. Never done that before, but both are fully refundable until right before.

Take the YWCA - the Barclay is right in the middle of the Pride Parade on Sunday July 31, 2016 - 600,000 people crowd that part of the downtown core - and that is after 400,000 have watched fireworks in the same area the night before.

It's a zoo in town that weekend - Monday August 1, 2016 is a holiday in most Canadian provinces - in BC we call it BC Day to help celebrate all that is great about our province.

As for shopping - the malls etc will be open.

While I haven't stayed at the YW - I spent my entire career working across downtown at the old YMCA - when our residence was filled we routinely sent people to the YW.

Just a tip - when coming in from the airport etc may sure you tell them the YW Hotel on Beatty not there program center on Hornby.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

Take the YWCA - the Barclay is right in the middle of the Pride Parade on Sunday July 31, 2016 - 600,000 people crowd that part of the downtown core - and that is after 400,000 have watched fireworks in the same area the night before.

It's a zoo in town that weekend - Monday August 1, 2016 is a holiday in most Canadian provinces - in BC we call it BC Day to help celebrate all that is great about our province.

As for shopping - the malls etc will be open.

While I haven't stayed at the YW - I spent my entire career working across downtown at the old YMCA - when our residence was filled we routinely sent people to the YW.

Just a tip - when coming in from the airport etc may sure you tell them the YW Hotel on Beatty not there program center on Hornby.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

Thanks for THAT info!!! I have already looked into reserve seating at the fireworks (great tip). The pride parade in NYC is a fun event, but trying to navigate the crowds in an unfamiliar area-- no thank you!! Cancelling that now.

Ut, you live in it as does another fellow who used to post regularly on these boards and he has had enough....he contacted me late last month re some B&B's up here on the Coast so that he and his DW can get out of the ZOO for that weekend.:)

• July 30 is the fireworks competition.... expect congestion from 6pm to midnight.... expecially west of Burrard with road closures.
  • July 31 is the Pride parade. Expect closures West of Burrard from 10am to 4pm, with congestion going to 7pm.
  • I remember the hop on service shuts down on the Pride parade day as the entire route is closed.
  • tourist attractions like the Capilano suspension bridge is flooded with tourists. Once in the park, you can wait 45 minutes to cross the main bridge, plus another 45 minutes to get on Cliffwalk.
  • there may be additional congestion if there is a concert, soccer or football game next door to the YWCA.

If you this is your weekend to explore Vancouver....

• forget the downtown on Sunday July 31. Go to the Grouse and Capilano attractions when it first opens at 9am to get out of the downtown during the parade. Otherwise explore other out of downtown attractions like Victoria, Whistler, Vanduzen or Storybrooke (Orca whale watch?).
  • use the Hop On service on Saturday or Monday (Stanely Park? Granville Island) when it's operating.
  • don't think about switching hotels last minute on that weekend. Plan and firm up your hotel NOW before they sell out!

Edited by xlxo

Yikes!! This was not a "planned" vacation to Vancouver. This was I have two days between getting off one cruise in Vancouver and boarding another in Seattle. Leaving very early Monday morning to get to Seattle and I do want to attend the fireworks show, as that is something different. I will take your advice for things not to do on Sunday-- appreciate the feedback.

On another note, I just posted here to get some hotel ideas. As it turned out, the advice in this thread will likely prove invaluable, with the crazy crowds-- I had no idea about either of these events, so thank you very much!

Here's an idea...

• Saturday, arrive in Vancouver. Drop luggage off at hotel... go back to the cruise terminal for shuttles to Capilano and Grouse Mountain. If there is time, hit attractions like Granville Island, Gastown or whatever until you get to the fireworks show that ramps up at 10pm.
  • Sunday.... leave the city and head to Victoria and Butchart gardens. Instead of returning to Vancouver... catch the ferry to Seattle that night or Monday morning.

Is this a round trip Vancouver cruise? Consider exploring more of Vancouver pre-cruise when the crowds are more manageable.

[YOUTUBE]BBE52G7oFW0[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]I1P3dFG4RUw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]VJhK2WNt2-0[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]zutUe_0X3PA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]RJZcYalXkPg[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Here's an idea...

•  
  • Saturday, arrive in Vancouver. Drop luggage off at hotel... go back to the cruise terminal for shuttles to Capilano and Grouse Mountain. If there is time, hit attractions like Granville Island, Gastown or whatever until you get to the fireworks show that ramps up at 10pm.

• Sunday.... leave the city and head to Victoria and Butchart gardens. Instead of returning to Vancouver... catch the ferry to Seattle that night or Monday morning.

Is this a round trip Vancouver cruise? Consider exploring more of Vancouver pre-cruise when the crowds are more manageable.

[YOUTUBE]BBE52G7oFW0[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]I1P3dFG4RUw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]VJhK2WNt2-0[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]zutUe_0X3PA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]RJZcYalXkPg[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks-- but I will actually be in Victoria on the second cruise. First one goes Seward to Vancouver. Two days break. Second round trip Seattle, making port stop in Victoria-- already reserved Butchart-- high on the list!!