Pros & cons of a Cove Balcony

deerby27

We have a cruise scheduled in January on the Magic, and this will be our first Cove balcony. We are pretty excited about trying it out. From what I've learned, the balcony is about 10 sq ft bigger than the other standard balconies. They are also cheaper than regular balconies. It is only on the 2nd floor (about 30' from the water). The best place to get one is usually in the center of the ship (but look at the deck plan, and make sure you are not under the gally if possible - supposedly there can be a lot of noise from above). There is also more privacy w/a Cove because no one can see you from above or below. Many people claim to see more sea life at this level of the ship. You can definitely see more when in port.

The cons - the door can be shut by staff to close off your balcony if you are in very rough seas. You will still have a window - thus making your room an ocean view. Sometimes, this may only be done for one day of the cruise - sometimes longer, depending on the seas. However - how many are really out on any other balcony in rough seas? Even the main doors are often locked in case of rough seas where you cannot go outside.

This is all I've found in my research. You can search the forum and find many threads about cove balconies.

Can anyone help me in deciding if I want to book a Cove Balcony on the Dream.

Thanks in advance,

While we did not have a cove balcony on Breeze last month, we visited one. (We made friends with our table mates and we all saw each other's cabins.) The balcony was a little deeper than our Lido Deck balcony, but the life boats above our heads made us feel very claustrophobic in the short time we were out there. Being close to the ocean was cool but the constant sound was a bit overwhelming. Our friends admitted that they did not enjoy having to wait for elevators to get anywhere.

I'm sure lots of people who have actually booked them can give you full info.

Personally, we love being on the Lido Deck.. We are mere steps from the pools and the buffet.

Good like deciding.

From the most forward cove balcony cabin, count back to the 9th through the 16th cabins. (Remember there are 2 coves listed as "forward" so if you're looking at the midship part of the deck plan count back 7-14.) Anyway, the cabins are beneath a break in the row of lifeboats. We had no. 9 on Dream in July. Was great.

Only negative, for us, was the occasional wait for an elevator when going to lido. Not a big deal to lobby, promenade,etc. Easily walked. 1-3 floors up.

We had a cove on our last Dream and it was not for us. If you do book one try to NOT be under the galley or you will hear noise all night long.

This was also the infamous cruise where we rode back in for 3 days with Super Storm Sandy so it was not a good time to be in a cove....:eek:

I know our experience was not the norm but we will stick to Lido or Panorama from now on.....

Just got off the Breeze in our first...and last...cove balcony. In my opinion, I found more cons than pros.

Cons:

*always shaded because the lifeboats blocked the sun

*no great sunset pictures because the lifeboats block the view of the sun until its "right there".

*balcony was always wet from the spray of the water.

*felt too closed in because there is metal all around.

*because the bottom half of the balcony is metal, when you are sitting in your chair, the view is blocked. Regular balcony has glass at the bottom making it appear more open and you can see out more *long waits for elevators

Pros

*if you don't like the sun, its always shaded

*more privacy

*closer to the water so you can actually look down and see the wake

DH won't even CONSIDER one:mad::mad:

So, I guess I'll never find out.

Guess we're sticking with our Lido balcony:D:D

Which is fine with ME!!! LOVE the convenience of EVERYTHING.

I will tell you that I have read mixed reviews, and it's pretty much summed up in what previous posters have said. I am fine not having sun on my balcony, as I usually get enough during the day on the Lido, or in port, however, I don't know that I would like feeling so closed in. Also, when I get up in the morning, the first thing I do is go out on the balcony with my coffee, and if everything is all wet and yucky, I don't think I'd enjoy it as much. You will need to come back and tell us what you thought of it. Happy sailing!!!!!:D

We liked our Cove Balcony on the Dream. I wouldn't book the Dream again (I wasn't a fan of the ship) but I would book a Cove again.

PROS:

Mostly shady (my husband burns easily)

Blocked most wind

Being close to the pier when docking is a lot of fun to look out and see what's going on (especially the two pier runners the Oasis had!)

Close to the gangway in port - very easy to walk up 2 flights of stairs

Privacy on the balcony

I loved watching the front of the ship hit the water, very peaceful

We were just past the break in the life boats (2289) so I didn't notice that being a problem

Our last night we hit some rocky seas, being low means you don't feel it *quite* as much

CONS

Took a long time to catch an elevator up to the Lido - we like taking the stairs as much as possible, but 10 flights is a lot

Noisy - the water makes a lot of noise even if you don't book a cabin under the galley (not a deal breaker for me, I like it.)

If it rains and they're pushing water off the lanai, you get water on your balcony (and all over you if you're sitting on it...)

When the seas are rough, you get a lot of spray (only once was it really rocking - they didn't close the doors, but I didn't want to be out on the balcony anyway.)

Had a cove on my last cruise on the dream and have another booked on my upcoming cruise on the breeze. I personally love them. My cabin was smack dab directly under the galley and heard no noise all cruise. I noticed very minimal spray on the balcony and when there,was big deal I'm on a ship in middle of the ocean I expected a bit. Watching the waves crash against the front of the ship so close was awesome to me. I spent most of my time on the balcony at night so not having the sun was not an issue. Besides except for being inside its sun everywhere. Loved the privacy. As far as waiting for an elevator, again no big deal. What do I expect your on a ship with over 3000 passengers with what around 14 elevators shuffling everyone around ya there is going to be a wait what's the rush I'm on vacation. Plus remember gangway is really close. Now try waiting for an elevator going down to get to the

Gangway. Stairs are just as bad. But to each there own. Either way enjoy your cruise.

That's the cabin we were in-2289. Camera was a little unnerving though wasn't it?

Camera? :eek:

We are booked in 2288 on the Breeze in June and pretty excited about it.

Why we booked it (hopefully pro's!):

Affordable balcony

Close to water

Shaded (DH burns easily)

More private

Things we are concerned about:

Noise from above

Elevators - this is the lowest we've ever been and we swore never to go lower than the Upper deck ever again so we're really hoping we don't regret this.

That's the cabin we were in-2289. Camera was a little unnerving though wasn't it?

Camera? :eek:

We are booked in 2288 on the Breeze in June and pretty excited about it.

It was a little unnerving at first, I just closed the drapes when I changed. We figured it was probably to help navigate when pulling in and out of port.

We had a cove on both Dream (2302) and Breeze (2306). Love them.

Pros (for us):

Being close to the water

The shade

Felt private

Close to the gangway

Close to the theater and dinning

Cons:

I cannot think of any

We did not hear any noise or notice the water on the balcony. On the Dream we were playing the giant chess game on deck 5 and the people on their balconies would call out to us and help us. It was fun, but the balconies above deck 5 did not look private to us.

Would love to book another cove. Would book it in a heartbeat, just do not have the funds right now. lol :p

just had one on the Dream and it was Great! We usually sail insides with the occasional oceanview.....We can't justify the extra cost for the balcony for us. We were upgraded from an Inside on Deck 1 to the Cove on Deck 2 at no cost. I noticed that the sailing was not sold out as it still had rooms listed on night before departure. So I called and inquired on upgrade cost......still yoo much.....so call again day of departure and was put on hold for a long time........finally I gave up and hung up the phone.....after getting onboard I receive a call from Carnival from the lasy that had me on hold..she had an upgrade for us for free......at first it was an oceanview......then she said since we had already boarded it could not be done now......Well that was that so we thought........She call back a little later and says she spoke to the Hotel Director or whoever onboard and they were going to upgrade us from an Inside to a Cove for free! Awesome!!! So in the end the Cove balcony really is a great room and I personally like being lower on the boat than higher so the cove is perfect for that.

...We were in 2283 on our Breeze cruise. Starboard side right off the Atrium (glass) elevators. We absolutely LOVED the cove balcony and that location. We've had regular balconies before and they were no big deal. Some days we used them and some days we didn't even go out there. In the Cove, we spent a lot of time out there, both in port and while sailing. Sitting out there, especially at night under the stars, listening to the ship cut through the waves, was an unbelievable experience. Probably going to book the Breeze again in 2015 just to get the Cove.

Edited by Doug910
addition

We had a cove balcony on the magic and just loved loved it!! I wish all the ships had them... i just loved being so close to the water... we saw dolphins and lots of flying fish... we didnt have much noise from above at all . i think it was just so private and just relaxing.. you could really hear the water and it really felt like sailing which we love... we took the stairs and didnt mind the walks.. loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat...